Register now to get rid of these ads!

T-5 Question....50ford or anyone else

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drgnwgn289, Sep 5, 2003.

1. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

I was wondering if it is possible to put the "world class" guts in an s-10 T-5? Would it also be possible to put the mustang type front shaft in the s-10 t-5? Maybe I'll just rob a convenience store and by a tremec...

2. panheadpete

panheadpete

check out www.inliners.org and click on the t-5 tech i posted this question last week with no responce but i think this is the way to go

3. Steppin up to a 5sp for the wagon??
    TZ

4. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

don't tell me you knocked out first again!
    you damn hot rodder!

5. When I had my S-10 tranny, the input bearing [the front one] was rough. I turned the tranny down on it's nose with the input pointing at the floor and took off the bearing retainer and removed the input shaft. I replaced the worn bearing and put it all back together. My point is....the splined shaft came out without dismantling the tranny. I see no reason why you couldn't put the moostang splined shaft in the S-10 trans but you'd still have the chevy bolt pattern on the tranny front side...
    I''d use new needle bearings inside the input too.

6. Jesus! Now I can't remember if I had the trans pointing up or down for sure. If it's been more than 2 days ago, I forget the details...crs, you know.

7. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

Drgwgn, my nephew was a trans tech for quite a few years and was going to send me a NWC T5. He said he would rebuild it and make it a WC T5 so I'm assuming it can be done. Not sure about the Mustang stuff. Just know if your using a T5 out of a Camero you need the S10 tailshaft.

8. Randy D

Randy D

not trying to hijack a post here, but does anyone know if the T-5 trans behind a 4 cyl is the same as the one behind a V-6? Bolt pattern and or internals?? Thanks

9. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

Is there a difference in the integrity of the cases with the 4cyl and 6 cyl models?

10. zonkola

zonkola
    from NorCal

The common way to get a front shift Ford T5 is to take the tailshaft from an S10 T5 and bolt it to the body of a Mustang T5 with some other small modifications including relocating the speedometer gear. The bolt pattern on the S10 body (and other GM T5s) is different than the Ford bolt patterns.

You can upgrade a 4-cylinder T5 to a V8-spec T5, but it's probably not cost effective. The internals and input shaft are all different, so you wouldn't be reusing much from the 4-cylinder transmission other than the case and tailshaft, which are the cheap parts.

By the way, the "World Class" vs. "non-World Class" classification has been so confused in the industry that it's almost meaningless. There's always a bunch of debate as to what it actually means on the Ford boards. To make matters worse, the T5 casting numbers--aside from date stamps--are useless. The only real information shipped with these transmissions was stamped on the attached tag, which often gets lost.

What you really need to know is the torque rating of the transmission and/or if it came with a V8 from the factory. Assuming there's no tag, the surefire way to figure out if a Ford T5 is a V8 model is to measure the diameter of the input shaft. It's .667" for the V8 and less for the others. If it measures at .667 and the case has a date stamp of '90 or later, you've probably got a desireable 300 ft lb model or better.

Here's a lookup table for tag codes and dates for the Ford T5s that I find handy:
    http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/transmission_spec.htm

One last point: Lots of guys try to pass off 4-cylinder T5s as V8 T5s because they're worth about $300 more. Others just don't know the difference and their friend "said it came from his '93 Cobra..." So be careful out there.

Three pedals and overdrive. Where's the downside?

11. Canuck

Canuck

What are the "some other small modifications including relocating the speedometer gear" that are required to utilise the s-10 tailshaft on a Mustang trans?

Thinking of using a SBF in the A to keep it all Ford.

12. Canuck go to the link panhead pete posted. You need the S-10 tailshaft and shifter if you are using a bench seat. You also may need to order a clutch disc from Best Bilt.