Register now to get rid of these ads!

T-5 installation update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AV8Paul, Apr 28, 2005.

1. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

It's taken me a couple of weeks after my AZ vacation to settle down and get some work done in the garage.

I finished the tranny mount except for smoothing out some rough edges. I welded the old Ford shift lever onto the sawed off stub shaft from the S-10 lever. Today I picked up the new drive-shaft and temp installed it for a picture. The tie-rod ends and the threaded bungs should arrive tomorrow, so I'll be working on the rear bones starting next week.
    So far so good.

2. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

For some reason two pictures didn't make it. I'll try again.

3. What's your clutch linkage set up like?

4. NoSurf

NoSurf

Looking good Paul.

What are your ideas for rear bones?

Jeff (Highboy32) had a cool set up under his duece. He made brackets that bolt to the upper holes on the diff bell for upper bones.

Jay

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. PooterWS6

PooterWS6
    from DFW, TX

6. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Here's the clutch linkage I used with the old ford set-up. I made a bell-crank that bolted to the center cross member. It's not bolted in tight in this picture as I had to loosen the bolts to attach the tranny mount. The red rod will connect to the cross-shaft for the thowout bearing. It worked really good for seven years, I think I'll keep it.

7. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

I'm going to weld threaded bungs into an extra set of wishbones I have. Then attach them to the tranny mount using tie rod ends. I left the sides of the tranny mount a little long until I figure out where the rod ends will mount. then I'll cut off the extra material. I may run an extra rod from the banjo to the wishbone for more strength.

8. Very cool, and best of all, rock-simple.

9. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

How did you convert the banjo to open drive?

10. Rusty

Rusty

Very nice work.

11. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

I used the kit made by Hot Rod Works in Idaho. Not cheap, but really nicely made.

12. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

Have you thought about how the tranny will come out after the body is on the frame....in case someone needs to pull it to replace a clutch etc. I'm putting a T5 in my '39 Ford and had to notch out the top reinforcing plate (it replaces the center box section of the frame) to allow the trans to move back far enough to let the front (input) come out of the bell housing. I could be wrong, but in your pics, it looks like there is a cross member right smack dab behind the top of the trans and might prevent the tranny coming backward. Maybe you have a removeable cross member....anyway, good luck with the project!

13. hiboyroadsterboy

hiboyroadsterboy
    from Mass

It's looking good Paul,when do u think you will be driving it.Have you talked to woody at all,we will have his car fixed in a few weeks,so,that's a good thing,anyways,talk to u later,bye.

14. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

I will be able to drop the tranny down by removing the shifter and lowering the engine about 1 1/2 inches. Then the tranny will be able to move aft enough to lower it. The lower part of the tranny bracket (the blue u shaped part) unbolts. I made sure it would be possible to do that.

15. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

John,
    I hope to have it back together mid to late June. I have so much going on in my life (most of it fun stuff) that I'm unable to work on it as much as I'd like. I also need to wait for my next retirement check to buy more of the little parts that I didn't think I would need.

I haven't talked to Woody in over a month. Glad to hear you're making progress getting his coupe back on the road. I really should give him a call and find out how he broke it. Is there some ball busting involved in what happened?

16. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

It's all looking real good Paul. Like I told you before, if you need a hand call me.
    You retired guys have way too much "fun stuff" going on, but you better get your ass in gear on this project! Maybe the hood will be ready for next winter. I'm keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn't disapear!

17. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Lookin' gooooood!

The only thing I would add, is you need to lose the high-rise. It doesn't quite look right with the T5 setup. I'll take care of shipping to 45662, just let me know when UPS can pick it up!

.....you think I'm kiddin' don't cha!

18. skumbag

skumbag

i dont know anything about T-5's, but id like to put something with an overdrive in my '57. does it require a hydraulic clutch? whats the overdrive ratio, does it differ with different tranny's? and one more question, could i drive my car balls to the wall without blowing one up? i dont mean to hi-jack this thread with all these questions.

thanks matt

19. jerry

jerry

Paul, looking forward to seeing it driving next year.

Install looks really well thought out. Good thinking on the clutch release set up.

jerry

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Skumbag, there is no such thing as something that can't be broke. Just ask the maintenance guys on Army tanks. You sound like the kind of guy that should be testing things before they go on the market. If your breaking your current setup I can assure you you'll be breaking an overdrive.

Frank

21. av8jon

av8jon

Hey Paul,
    Welcome back, I was just wondering last night about the progress of your conversion. I'd forgotten that you had been away. It's still lookin good, just like Henry would have done it!! I still got a lot of cruisin to do before thinking of changing anything on mine. Cruisin at 55 and 60 gives me more time to contemplate!! HA I have been thinking if I found a quick change cheap enough I'd probably go for that.........but I never find the kind of deals I'm always hearing about! [​IMG] I'm retired too and I'd also have to work that in my schedule. [​IMG] Oh, are you all healed up now?

Take care

22. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Keith,
    Thanks for keeping an eye on my hood. I guess I'll have to use it next winter. Ha.
    So far I've been able to handle it by myself. I may ask you to come over when I put the body back on. I'll have to clean my place up. Compared to your "operating room" garage, mine is a slum.

23. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

I'm not sure what O/D ratio I have. It's a '91 trans, so I think there was only one that year and it was a .72. But thta's just a guess.

I don't know how bullit proof this set up is, but I don't abuse my stuff so my case won't be a good test.

The clutch can be either mechanical or hyd.

24. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Jon,
    I was originally going to put in a Q/C. The cost was scaring me away. Then I watched a friend changing gears on a trip. I started thinking, I'm 60 now and I plan to drive this car forever, do I want to be laying on the ground changing gears when I'm 70+? I don't think so. Besides the O/D comes in at about 1/3 what a Q/C would cost if it was done right.
    Yes, I'm healed up. That shot of cortisone and several weeks of nice warm AZ sun cured me.

25. skumbag

skumbag

i havent broke anything yet,(i probably just jinxed myself!) but i didnt know how strong a transmission out of an s-10 would be.

26. skumbag

skumbag

thanks for the info i appreceiate it:D

27. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

I think it was/is a good question. My dad bought an s10 new in 89. He drove quite a distance to and from work. My dad is extremely religious with changing oil and babying things- keeps things WELL maintained. At 150k miles, that tranny was as loose as a goose and just simply worn out! I don't know if they are the same or now. So, I've watched all these conversions with much interest.

His was the 4 cylinder...I assume it was a T5 style...

28. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Looks great Paul. Can't wait for a shakedown ride. Give me a heads up when you put the body back on. I don't know how much lifting I'll be able to help with, but I can drink your root beer.;)

29. hiboyroadsterboy

hiboyroadsterboy
    from Mass

You will be happy with that t5 tranny,we have heard alot of great things about it.I don't think busting woody's balls,is a good idea,he feels bad.We have to pull the motor out and put a new flywheel in it,his broke,again.It also needs a new fuel pump,so ya,you should give him a call.On a good note,my 32 runs,and I have driven it up and down the steet,it's fast.We are doing to interior now,so,talk to u later,and see you later,bye.

30. kentucky

kentucky

If you abuse a T5 you will break it. Just ask the 5.0 Mustang guys.

Paul,

I look forward to seeing your car back on the road. It's one of my favorites on the HAMB. Thanks for the updates!