Register now to get rid of these ads!

T-5 in a stock Model A frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSig, Jul 17, 2009.

1. I've got an 8BA with a '39 open trans in a Model A frame. I'd like to change to a T-5 trans, and am wondering if the T-5 will fit under the stock center crossmember. Anybody had success with this set-up?

JimSig

2. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I think you will have to modify the "A" crossmember. I think that you might have some clearance problems if you try to mount it under the crossmember.

3. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I know these are pictures of bangers - but at least you'll get the general idea

Attached Files:

4. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

Elwood007 has done this very thing. He has pictures, or will take them I'm sure. He still owns the car. Ask him what he had to do.

5. Doug B

Doug B

I know it's a crappy photo, but I have a t-5 mocked up behind a small block with a stock cross member. I re-radiused the origianal cut out in the cross member to get it under there. I also boxed the bottom of the cross member and built a drop out tranny mount that bolts to the bottom of it. I still need to put the s-10 tailshaft on the trans,and then I think it will look like Stovebolts set-up

Attached Files:

6. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Here are some pictures of how I modified the stock A cross member for a T-5 installation behind a banger. I made the modified bolt in piece and fitted it BEFORE cutting the cross member. I had to R&R the clutch recently and being able to remove a section of the cross piece sure made it easier. You can't see the strap that holds the transmission in place on the bottom

Attached Files:

7. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

do you have to take the body off to work on the cross member?
    Bill

8. how did you stop the frame from spreading out in the middle
    tk

9. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

With a flathead you dont have to cut all the cross member away

[​IMG]

10. 97