Register now to get rid of these ads!

t-5 conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by box50, Mar 12, 2011.

1. box50

box50

Hey guys, Need a little info did my t-5 change over last week went good no real problems drove it Tuesday did fine drove it Friday to get a pipe put on drove great. The only thing was a pretty bad shake when you start off,Ok that being said today took the car out for a little ride clutch started getting hard to push in I mean really hard, got home got under it the rod that goes from the u bracket to the fork was bent. If anyone has some idea what could be wrong could you let me know, some more info on what we did .I made a bushing to fit over the s-10 tranny so the only thing that is s-10 is the tranny and the clutch. Thanks for your help I hope I gave enough info on what we did and what happend. Later on box50:confused::D

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Sounds like the release bearing is frozen/hanging up on the trans nose for starters.

3. judd55

judd55
    from B.C.

With out a little more info I will state the obvious here.
    Sounds like a geometry problem between the T.O. Bearing and the clutch fork.

What is the bushing's function ? Is this to space the trans, Is this one of the T-5s with the longer input shaft. ? What engine, what bell housing ? Did you use the S-10 P.P. and T.O. bearing or the originals ?

I installed a T-5 from a Camaro as well as the complete clutch assy. from a Camaro and have had no issues at all.

Judd

4. box50

box50

Hey man sounds like it's something like that, the more you push the clucth in the harder it got,don't know getting ready to tear it back down. Thanks man for your help:D

5. I'm assuming this is in the Shoebox in your avatar and the T5 is behind a flathead?

If so, I'm doing the same conversion in my '50 as well. Did you use the stock Ford clutch release bearing and hub? How'd you get it to go on the T5 bearing retainer? Dosen't look like theres enough size difference in the two to have a bushing/adapter. Got a pic of your adapter?

6. cooger

cooger

dude, i put in an 92 s-10 b/w 5 speed and stock clutch in my 55. Yep, bent rod going to the arm ( I used a mech. linkage first then went to hyd. clutch setup with external slave operating the rod). Solution is a hardened 3/8 grade 8 bolt 6" long cut down to fit between the slave and the arm. Those clutches were bears, that's why the s-10's had hyd. clutches as standard. I had to thread some on mine, it was pure hell since its a hard bold. LOL
    cooger

7. krackerdave

krackerdave
    from mt vernon

box50 hows that t5 coming is it working good