Register now to get rid of these ads!

T-350 Dip Stick Leak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RatRoy, Jun 10, 2011.

1. RatRoy

RatRoy

Anybody have a suggestion for correcting a leaking dip stick on a T-350 that is installed in a 40 Chevy, (can't remove dip stick tube)....:confused::confused:

2. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I assume 350 tranny? Dipstick slides into a rubber grommet. My guess is that the dipstick got pulled around to clear something and now isn't sitting square in the grommet/hole or else it just needs a new rubber. Pull it out and have a look.

3. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

X2 what willowbilly said. Mine is so miss aligned I can no longer use the factory "seal". I took the tube out with the pan removed and cleaned up both the tube an d case really good. I reinstalled the tube useing a liberal amount of silicone. after it set a bit I cleaned all the excess silcone off the case and tube. Reinstalled pan and let it set for 24hrs and filled with fluid. That was 3 years ago and I still have no leaks, not even a seep.

4. had one leak on my dads car, turned out the dipsitck tube was squashed slightly out of round (either when installing or lying around the shed waiting to be installed). new tube fixed it

5. RatRoy

RatRoy

Coupster, good idea, I hadn't thought about sealing from the bottom with the pan off. I can't remove the tube without pulling the motor. I'll try sealing from the bottom.:)

6. chevyshubox

chevyshubox
    from Australia

For starters dont use chrome dipstick tube if you do pull it out, also they take a strange size o ring, not your normal run of the mill size.
    I always try and use stock dipstick and tube or one of those flexi braided ones as they actually use two o rings and the ones I have used have sealed pretty good.

7. Not all tubes are the same either, some are O-ring and others just slip into the rubber gromet in the case. If you miss match those it will leak, it took a couple years for me to realize that one.