Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage symco shakedown 2010

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willie57, Aug 14, 2010.

1. OliverBUILT Big - D

OliverBUILT Big - D
    from Ankeny, IA

I wasnt there...and if I did it, you would know its mine...18.5" doesnt lie

2. I bet he is not happy, me and Larry were just talking about that same thing on Thursday at the show.

3. Sum bitches stole a banner in from vend spot Saturday night too!! All in all we had a great weekend, maybe a little noisy at 2 am for my grand kids don't you think Cliffy?? Next time you want to run one let me know the blown 29 A I had at the show would just love a f-100 sandwich!!

4. Hellfish

Hellfish

Man, that really sucks! It must've been a pretty messy burnout for them to not want you back. Some people just can't behave and appreciate a GOOD thing when they see it.

As for the signs... that sucks, too. We lose hundreds of dollars worth of signs and banners at the Pileup every year because people want souvenirs and think they can take whatever they find. At a certain point during the day we send out people to collect all the signs to minimize the loss. It's a shame, but you guys may have to do that next year... if there is a next year :(

5. Although I don't have a car that's anywhere near completion I came... I saw... I PBR'd and I had a great time. I didn't take a bunch of pictures... but here's a few from my crappy camera.

I sincerely hope a few disrespectful morons didn't ruin the Shakedown for 2011. :mad:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  6. more...

Attached Files:

7. I didn't love "everything" about this car... but I'm really glad I got to pour over it for a while and talk with the owner and his wife... nice guy. :)

(Notice... no pinch)

Attached Files:

8. Hey Cliffy, are you talking about the banners on the bridge that you put up with the lift? I was going to cut them down for you, but that was pretty far up there for me. Too bad.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  9. billys54

billys54

10. Yichoke

Yichoke

Cliffy, I have to confess. I was me. I did the burnout with my Saturn. That Symco decal I put on my window really boosted my horsepower! I couldn't control it!

11. Here is my video:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CxxFRngwa0g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CxxFRngwa0g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

12. stupesnova

stupesnova
    from wisconsin

I didn't do the burn out on the bridge! I was told when we came in NOT too! The guy at the gate said the owner would NOT like it if it was done! He also said to LITE 'EM up out on the road when we left!!!!! SO, I did! :D

13. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Not familiar with Symco and just curious, is this a private bridge into the area or something?

14. It is a 1920's trestle bridge that was moved onto the grounds when the made the new Hwy 22 bridge. It is something VERY special and a LOT of hard hard work went into moving it. This bridge almost got cut up for scrap and they saved it with some creative phone calls to the right people.

Yes Paul, the two posters and the banner on that we put up with the man lift. Some jerkoff stole them. And I gave them to some hard working volunteers. They are worth over $200 each and I WON'T be calling the cops when I find out who took them!

15. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

16. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Oh that bridge. I can see why he is pissed. I thought you meant the concrete bridge crossing the river in town (and thought anybody could have done it). I hope the guy comes forward. I had planned on going to the Shakedown for the next 20 years, not TWO! Not to mention I was getting the kids involved so they would want to work/attend for the next 40.

17. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Thanks for the response. I see why the concern now. Beautiful old piece of engineering design...

18. Honeyhush

Honeyhush

easy solution for next time...no traffic on that bridge. we wont be able to police everyone on that side of the grounds no matter what.

cars can crawl in the main gate like the first year. or line em up and walk them in at teh gate on the main road ( near the bandstand).

its too easy to knock on the tire squealer in this case but keep in mind everyone of us has burned up a bit of rubber in the heat of the moment.

19. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Lots of people, locals from my parts, ask how many cars are at this show. Kinda curious, how many made it this year??

20. Dan57

Dan57

I was wondering the same thing. They gave me #175, and I didn't register until Sat. morning. So at least that many anyhow.

21. The numbering system was screwed up, so that won't work to figure it up. Some people got window tags, some didn't. I have about 250 left from 500, so I know we had more cars than last year. Someone said they counted about 350 photos of different cars from the weekend, so that is the number I am going with. There were at least 300 for sure based on the room we took up.

Far as alcohol consumption, I know exactly what we went through. These are the numbers right from the beer guy. Keep in mind that we ran out and they had to go to the local stockpiles to buy more....twice, so we went through a bit more than this. I have not gotten those numbers yet.

Pabst 30 packs – 52
    Pabst 18 packs – 10
    Pabst ½ BBL’s – 8
    Coors Light 24 packs – 132
    Coors Light ½ BBL’s – 12
    Blatz 24 packs – 18
    Old Style 24 packs – 10
    Coors Original 24 packs – 15
    Mike’s Lemonade 16 oz. – 8
    Mike’s Cranberry 16 oz. – 8

22. Yummy

Yummy

23. Squablow

Squablow

Damn. 18 cases of Blatz on Saturday equates to about 30 shattered toilets on Sunday morning.

Everything was bigger this year. More cars, bigger swap meet, even the spectator parking lot was packed while I was parking cars on Saturday afternoon. It was already hard to find a parking spot in the show on Saturday morning. Gonna need more space next year for sure.

24. First of all let me say that I think whoever stole the banners is a lowlife and should crawl out from under the rock and fess up. The burnout, while ill placed, was probably a heat of the moment thing, doesn't make it right but with 4 days, 6,000 cans of beer and a bunch of hot rods you can pretty much plan on some trouble. I hope it doesn't scrub the shakedown in the future because I know how much planning and help it takes to put a weekend like that together. If I ever build a car that qualifies I'd like to come join you.

25. That wasn't all the beer, they ran out TWICE and bought more from around the county so we went through a lot more that what was on the list. I'll bet we have to add another 1000 cans to the list pretty easy.

We have plenty or room left, we didn't use the rear of the grounds really at all and we will use the lower campground for car parking if we need it. Not to mention there were a lot of muddy spots that didn't get filled in. I am not worried about it. We have room for another 100 cars on the main grounds before we worry about overflow.

26. I guess there weren't many "real" car guys there. LOL

27. Yummy

Yummy

Wanted:

Attached Files:

28. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

It looked like a good time!

29. thejdawg

thejdawg
    from Menasha

Had a great time at Symco Shakedown. This was my first time here and absolutely loved the location. Very unique show and hope to revisit every year. Here are some photos from this years show.

2010 Symco Shakedown Photos

30. Joel, please post an intro in the intro section.

I had lunch with Larry Werth today and his wife said we ate 680 lbs of burgers in the two days. WOW