Register now to get rid of these ads!

Switchin' A and T parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by j-stylez, Jun 2, 2010.

1. G-day every one,
    I'm pretty new here, Just joined yesterday, but I all ready have a question. I have a Model A frame I hauled out of the woods a couple months ago, with whats left of a cowl, front fenders and two doors, I think its a 30 or 31, but I'm not sure. Its missing the fron end, rear end and front cross members. I was wondering how much of this stuff can swap between madel As nd Ts. I plan to run a dropped ibeam and stock rear end if I can find e'm. I live in eastern Canada so these parts are near impossible to find and they're worth an effing fortune, which is why I'm trying to find as much as I can in the woods. That , and because I'm a dambed idiot, I want the experience of pulling it out of the woods and rebuilding it. I don't know much about these cars, but always liked them and wanted one, And I think there's no better car to build a traditional rod out of then an early Ford. Any help would be great.

Thanks ,
    J-stylez:D

2. Carter

Carter

Not much interchangeability on the axles from a model T going under an A.
    What engine do you plan on finding for it?

3. Don't know yet, Open to anything, I have a great running chev 250, but its probably too long, There's a junk yard down the road from me so there's lots of possibilities, nothing really old there though, I would like a flat head eight or a small block.

4. Carter

Carter

A T rear won't handle much more than a T engine, same with an A rear. A V8 Banjo will handle a flathead V8 and a bit more, if you don't hammer on it.
    You may be better off using a model a or other transverse rear spring with fabbed or purchased brackets on a modern rear(9", 12 bolt, etc.) if you plan on running an OHV small block of some kind.
    Any front axle from 1928-1948 can be made to work without much trouble. Again, there is a ton of aftermarket support there.
    Check around on the HAMB, do some searches. Look at lots of pictures. Go to car shows and look there for ideas.
    But most of all, have fun and be safe.

Dave

5. bct

bct

you can buy a front cross for about $100 ...get an A axle or 32-36 ....or aftermarket....as for the rear , match it to the drivetrain you decide to use.....no use going with a banjo if you are gonna go 350/350.....body options are endless....and welcome from b.c.

6. Thanks a lot guys, I really appretiate the help!
    I'll probably use the rear end and tranny from my Nova in that case, that will solve part of it.