Register now to get rid of these ads!

Swapping out a merc-o-matic trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by studemisfit, Apr 7, 2013.

1. studemisfit

studemisfit

I goggled searched, and tried the forum search(didnt work right on my I phone)
    I have a 1962 mercury Monterey with a 352 and a merc-o-matic. The trans leaks from various seals and always shifted a little fun. While I would love to swap a Manuel trans in time/money does not permit. So was wondering what modifications would be needed for a c4,c6, or a fmx(seen one or two cheap) swapped in. Drive shaft, cross member, trans tunnel, linkage. Thanks in advance and sorry if its been covered before.

2. Bugguts

Bugguts

Sorry, this doesnt answer your question as you asked but.....We had a Ford o matic in our 63 Fairlane. Leaked from seals and took forever to shift until it warmed up, mostly 2-3 miles. Had a friend who had worked in a tranny shop, and gave us some advise. He told us to add a spray can cap full of brake fluid to the trans. It causes the seals to swell and loosens up the stuck parts. I was doubtful at best, but figured, what the heck, it wasn't working right anyhow. No lie, after adding the fluid and driving around the block, the tranny shifted perfectly. Never leaked again either. We drove it with that tranny for 3 more years without a problem or leak, but sadly the motor spun a bearing, and we replaced both motor and tranny for newer. Sounds like you have nothing to loose from trying it either.

3. studemisfit

studemisfit

Ill give it a shot, can't hurt. Thanks for the reply, Vic