Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Swapping out 3-on-the-tree questions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fleet_47, May 18, 2014.

1. fleet_47

fleet_47
    from N/A

I have a 41 Chevy Convertible (x-frame) so space is limited for trans swaps. I was wondering if anyone has swapped out the stock 3-on-the-tree for a t-5 trans but at the same time kept the shifter on the column ? I plan on keeping a straight six under the hood and going with an open-drive rearend.

I've searched the threads and it's came up before I know there's a lot of talent here. Let's hear how you did it?
    Thanks for any info.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

T5 has a built-in shifter instead of the traditional shift levers. I'd say it would be nearly impossible (or ridiculously complicated) to mate this to a column shifter.

3. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

options that might work would seem limited to swapping in an overdrive auto that could be
    set up to shift with the column shift, use 3 speed but add an overdrive, or use normal shifter
    on the t-5. Since it mounts to the top of the trans it would seem doable in your frame.

4. T-5 Has a built in shifter,you should have plenty of room.

There is no external linkage or shifter arms to connect your column to a T-5. HRP

5. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Do it, be the first.

6. BarryA

BarryA

Does it have to be a T5?
    Over here early Toyota (yes, I said it:eek:) pick-up's and vans had a cable operated column shift five speed that is good for 180-200hp or so, and should be a whole lot easier to adapt to whatever linkage you have.. There are sure to be other options, though they're likely to be imports too...