Register now to get rid of these ads!

swapping bodies on a Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J'st Wandering, Apr 6, 2006.

1. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I have a '29 Model A frame and am looking for a body to put on it. I have been finding several 30/31 sedan bodies. What is the difference between the 29 frame and the 30/31 frame? Will the body and the fenders bolt on the same and how much adapting will I need to do? Thanks. Neal

2. rustrodder

rustrodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The frame should be the same by dimensions-length, width and overall size. There are some differences in mounting components-fenders and brake crossbar holes between the '28-29 and the '30-31. i'm sure someone on forum here can tell you exactly what the differences are.

3. yes , there are some small differences you would have to deal with for a restored car...if you are building a hot rod (you are aren't you?) then they won't matter

what are doing?

4. 31Apickup

31Apickup

You can put any year Model A body on any year Model A frame, body mounting holes should all be there. If you run fenders, you need the proper braces for the year of fenders 28-29 or 30-31.

5. Chapulin

Chapulin
    from Hell Monte

Slap it on and have a friend stand by with a hammer. She will fit. All A's fit 99.999999999 with the bar on top perecent of the time.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

According to the folks on Ahooga, the experts:
    The '30-31 frame has all holes to fit '28-9 applications, as it was supplied as the replacement frame for service. The short-sighted bozos working in drafting in 1927 forgot to include some holes for the '30-31's, but enough holes match so you can align late bodies to factory holes and drill the rest exactly right through the body holes. Late 1931 style frames have an extra protruding bracket for some of the late introduction bodies (Slant windows, I think?) but it is just a simple 90 degree bracket easily added if needed.

7. the front crossmember is different from the 28/29 to the 30/31
    28/29 has raised bosses and 30/31 have recessed bosses where the rad bolts on
    if you put a 30/31 body on the 28/29 frame the 30/31 rad will be too high and the hood will not line up to the cowl at the bottom
    its a bitch especially when you have an A that someone already restored the frame on. Gives you a body and a truck load of parts and says put it together. Drilling out rivets removing a crossmember and installing new rivets on a nicly painted frame isn't too fun
    and the e-brake cross shaft is different
    i hope this helps
    tom

8. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I have the '29 radiator on the '29 frame, it would just be the 30 body and possibly 30 fenders. So I should be o.k.

Thanks all for the help and quick response.

What I have is a '29 frame and running gear that I bought back a year ago and have not done much too it yet. It has a 8ba engine/ tranny, hydraulic brakes, etc. Just need the body. Would like to find something that would not take too much work to get the car on the road. Spring fever is here.

Neal