Register now to get rid of these ads!

Swapping '41 Ford Fordor body to a Business coupe body?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boeing Bomber, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

First off, is the frame the same wheelbase on a Fordor Sedan, as it is on a Tudor? And are the body mounts in the same locations?
    Any advice from anybody thats done this?

[​IMG]

2. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Wheel base the same?
    I don't think they would make more than one frame, but I was wrong once

3. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Late 41 to 48 ford passenger car frames are virtually the same. I bolted a 47 coupe body on a 41 sedan frame. No problems at all.

4. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

What's the difference between the "early" and "Late" '41 frame?

5. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I'm glad I saw this, I'm going to do the same thing with a 41 Coupe onto a sedans chassis.

6. alchemy

alchemy

Swapping across years, there are differences in the center of the X of the crossmember, but it's probably not something that will keep you from bolting one body to another frame. All the body mounting holes should be there. Probably even through all the years of 41 through 48.

You may find some missing holes when you go mounting front tin though, so be willing to investigate a bit. Just a small drill away, I'd bet.

7. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

This is sounding better all the time. Maybe I'll build a phantom Ute out of the Fordor body since I'll have the coupe chassis sitting there anyway. actually I've got a 3rd '41 chassis if anyone needs one. It's media blasted and bomb canned.

8. 41 Coupe on a 41-4-door chassis is a piece of cake. All the same body mounts. In 42 they changed a few things, but they all interchange. 41 had different running boards so the brackets are 41 only. Should be a bolt on though. Pat.

9. One of the differences is the way the "X" is joined together-One is welded and the other is riveted. Really makes no difference-bodies will fit either way but some aftermarket parts (IE wish bone splitting kits) can be different for each type. If you are modifying the centre section of the frame-it doesn't matter