Register now to get rid of these ads!

swapmeet courtisy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olds vroom, Feb 6, 2011.

1. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

Hey Guys, Dont mix this swap... Up with the Swap on March 6th in Hamburg. At the Fire Station. It is put on by AACA and they always have a lot of cool stuff there. Indoors and outdoors. put it on your 'to-do" Schedule
    The Ontelaunee Region AACA people who run it are very nice.

2. Hey wait a minute, I resemble that remark. :eek:

I'm with ya buddy. I mean hell its a swap meet and we are all a little rough around the edges by nature but there are always those guys with the green teeth that haven't bathed yet because it won't be August for another week.

3. Rudeness these days exists everywhere. You can be at your local grocery store, swap meet, convienience store, department store, lumber yard, hardware store, county annex getting a permit, trying to communicate with your cell phone provider, or bankcard provider..well you get the idea. Does it suck? Hell yes, can we change it? Hell no. There is a reason we don't live forever, we would never be able to accept all of the negative changes that continue to evolve as we as a nation "advance". At swap meets I will use any tool in my tool bag (so to speak), to get people to move. I consider them to be rude to form the human barridade, so I'm not opposed to being rude to them in return..who ever said two wrongs don't make a right?, was just plain wrong. If you are one of these Fucking rude assholes (human barricader, loud cell phone talker, puller of the giganto wagon from Hell, dog walker, human excrement test bedder, etc) do us all a favor, and stay the fuck home. Oh, and be sure to "have a nice day".

4. Hey, I was there bullshitting, buying and selling and to say it was packed is an understatement. When you get that many people looking to get out of the cabin fever house that this winter has put on us, it's going to be standing room only.
    Saying excuse me isn't going to work if there is no place to go, did I say it was packed ? Like others have said it's a time to see people you haven't seen in a few months so talking and catching up on others builds is normal too.
    I do like to think if you ask me to move I did so, unless it was a part I wanted...lol

5. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I find that the canned air horns work better.;)

Your not kidding, Thank god the Charlotte auto fair is outside.:eek:

6. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Well, ya know it ain't called a dog walking meet, or a showing off yer 5' wide x 7' long "wagon" with the mag wheels, chrome side pipes, air horn and a wing that will hold 2 cubic feet of parts meet, or a marathon bullshitting meet- it's a swap meet, for buying and selling parts. If you only came to get out of the house, or to see old friends, etc., the common courtesy to not block folks who are actually trying to swap shouldn't be too much to ask for- the folks who will huddle up in groups and continue to BS when someone is obviously trying to look at something are just plain rude- everybody likes to BS, but they can't pull over somewhere out of the way? Probably some of the same folks that will drive 50 in the fast lane for 30 miles with a stack of cars behind them and refuse to pull over, grinning in the mirror- some twisted sense of entitlement, perhaps? :p
    The fuzzy tooth/crusty butt guys aren't as noticable at Turlock, considering the pig barns 'n all :eek:

7. skidsteer

skidsteer

Excuse me, but you have a lot to learn. BS'ing is my favorite part of a meet, and I'm going to bet that you have never been to Hershey?

8. olds vroom

olds vroom

yep been there once and will never go back.I drove 5 hours to get there got there at 11 am saturday,spent another hour trying to get in and half the vendors were packing up two hours later 3/4 of the vendors were gone and the event still had one more day,it wasnt due to bad weather it was great out.the day wasnt a total loss got a great kitten on the way back

9. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

Saturday is the last day of the swap. Getting there at 11 am is the WORST time to get to a swap. Get there before the sun comes up and you won't have any issues.

10. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

Stay out of the aisle then if you are going to bull shit and take it into the BACK of someone's space or near the food court area. Leave the rows for the SERIOUS buyers.

11. Wow, 11 AM on the last day? By then everyone's made their money and doesn't give a shit, unless they're really sick of carrying it around. The good stuff is sold by noon on the first day - and half of it has moved around from one vendor to another before the place even opened to the public.

As for "flea market" stuff - if I just took car parts to swap meets I'd lose money on every one, I take a bunch of different stuff so I can actually come home with more cash than when I left. I don't expect to get rich, but I mean I can stay home and throw money in the fireplace if I just want to waste it. I can't tell you the number of things I can't give away at a swap meet that I've sold on eBay for MORE than I was asking at the swaps.

So I have some Hot Wheels and toys for the kids (that just as many adults seem to buy), some model kits and collectible things for the adults, some DVDs, books and things to get the women into the booth, and whatever else I happen to run across that I either think I can sell or someone in the house wants to get rid of.

And the same car parts I've taken to shows in some cases for 5 years that I probably should just load up a scrap car with and get rid of - even though often no one else has it, guys just want one bracket so they want to pay 1/4 of the asking price or whatever and I won't do that.

People are assholes everywhere, at every show I go to, if they don't get out of the way I just push around them anymore, I don't even have the patience to say excuse me, or excuse me, asshole.

12. Anytime you get large groups of people there are going to be annoyances, nothing ya can do.

13. kennedy

kennedy
    from TN

I agree! While there on Saturday I got behind a tall guy with long hair and thought he would never move on, I believe he was wearing a Poor Boys shirt... :p

14. 5window

5window

Oh,my. Please give Hershey another try,but read all the posts before you go-there is lots advice here on when to go what to wear, where the HAMBers are,etc. Hershey is not like other swap meets. It does NOT run on Sunday,all the vendors either want to go home or see the judged cars on Saturday afternoon. 11 on Saturda is a great time for dumster diving-and Hershey has some great free stuff then, but not for seeing the meet.

15. 1320/150

1320/150

Is there anyway (courtesy) can be changed on this thread???? I usually could give shit,but this one is driving me nuts!!!!

Thanks englishbob (Now can someone change the fucking subject line!!!!)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  16. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Excuse me, but YOU have a lot to learn- sounds like you're part of the problem, a militant power bullshitter. I couldn't care less if all you came for was to shoot the shit, but please have the common courtesy to get out of the way of the folks that actually want to buy & sell. Just because bullshitting is your "favorite part" doesn't change it into a bullshitting meet. As was said, just pull over out of the way if you're just flappin' your gums, and the less tolerant folks won't resort to horns, yelling, or pushing you out of the way. I haven't gotten to that point yet, but folks with your "entitlement" attitude sure aren't helping. I always bring at least a couple grand if I'm just buying, and am seriously looking for parts- not a tea party. BTW, I saw an old buddy at Turlock that I hadn't seen for at least 10 years, talked to him for about a half hour- but I got out of the aisle to the back of his spot (including my cart), and when someone was interested in some of his stuff, I stopped talking and let them do business- so I have done in-depth scientific research, and found that it IS possible to bullshit with your old friends, without being a PITA clogger- and I don't get horns blown at me, don't get run over or yelled at...
    And what would Hershey have to do with it? There's lane cloggers everywhere, Hershey doesn't have an exclusive franchise on rudeness

17. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

When they change it can they change it to 'There' at the same time.:D

18. Watch it Kirby, I resemble that remark :mad:
    I'm still pissed cause your Dad got those cabover fenders before I even saw 'em.... If those dang lookey-loos woulda got outta my way, why I woulda had me two nice fenders :eek:

19. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

A really big fart usually clears the place out.

20. beanis

beanis

Now THOSE are some of the most profound words I've read in a long time. Pretty much explains everything wrong everywhere. Well said!

21. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

There used to be a pretty good little swap meet 2-3 times a year in Canton, Texas. They started renting spaces to the flea market yard sale types who had very little automotive and also giving them the good spaces. Several of us vendors complained about it. I think the cheesy chinese knives, Nascar models, cheap sunglasses and all the flea market crap should not be allowed if it is automotive related swap meet.

22. AAAH, my first swap meet was at Hamburg, NY, back in 1978.
    Over the years I have developed a knack for being able to spot stuff around the yappers, I pretend they are not there because even if you say "excuse me" they don't move. Many times I have reached for a part, asked the price and paid it, THEN the guy in front of me says I was looking at that.......snooze you lose...... When I set up I always have a place for yappers to sit, either my tailgate or extra chairs away from my selling table. Always take someone with you...so you can yap and buy...

23. I think I posted this a long time ago,but oh well.
    I was at the Long Beach swap about 20 yrs ago,& ran into a friend.We got out of the isle & began to bullshit.Theres a guy that sells all kinds of the chinese chrome stuff,,,v/covers,timing covers,breathers etc etc & we were standing near his spot by a fence.I noticed he had an old go cart sitting there.After a few minutes of my friend & I bs ing,this guy comes along with his kid & theyre looking at the go cart.Chrome Man commences to try & pull start this thing with no luck,& he's getting pissed.
    He had a few people looking at his chrome junk,& was really frustrated.He took a rag & stuck/soaked it in the gas tank & dribbled some gas down the carb.After about the second pull,the go cart fires up,(centrifugal clutch)& takes off,wide open across the isle.
    There was a guy across the isle selling old htr boxes,a bunch of metal side trim,& I think some int manifolds.
    The cart hits all this shit,sending parts flying everywhere,not to mention the go cart.
    The noise it made when it crashed into all that stuff was incredible,& we couldnt believe the go cart didnt hit anyone.
    By this time chrome-man is fuming,as father & son are no longer interested in the go cart and are walking away.There were some words exchanged with the vendor across the isle but nothing serious.
    Chrome man still sells his stuff there to this day,but I just dont have it in me to remind him of the go-cart incident.
    Yet again,,,,
    ;)

24. mako4r

mako4r

Hello all...I'm was new to swapmeets this last year as a used parts vendor. I have met a bunch of great people, few clowns, other vendors, couple hamb guys, and local Drifters CC of pittsburgh. I'm by far a weathered professional at being a vendor. I previuosly worked the long weekend niteshift that kept me from going to swaps but allowed me to hit auctions during the week. Being a vendor is easier if you have one helper or good neighbor. I like to put my tables in a U shape enviting people to look, not blocking them off like a barricade. I once asked a group of look-loos to get me a cup of coffee and handed them a $10 to help theirselves. Found it best to keep a cooler full of water for anyone. We picked up a heavy duty dolly for the big stuff.
    Most of my stuff was priced and 40 ford or earlier related. Had a 1903 Magee union wood stove in pristine condition....and all the ladies had to see it.

Overall good experiences.... thanks for fueling my addiction

25. I am with you WillowBilly......If you read the rules for Carlisle it states at "least 80% automotive related" but some of the best locations are now set up with craft sellers or used clothing dealers....go figure.............

26. papajohn

papajohn

Yep- I was there too. It was crowded, same as every year and very hot. Only problem, this year I didn't see any deals. It kind of stinks, because I was really looking forward to this one. It didn't help that I was a little hung over......but the crowd was too much for me.

27. Killer

Killer

Holy shit there's a lot of bleeding vagina's in this post!

had a friend say recently:

"Its a hobby... when it quits being fun, quit doing it."

28. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I've heard canines also cool through the pads of their feet; therefore, on hot pavement, it would actually makes things worse for the animal. YES, please leave the pets at home! As far as the idiots that don't move, I just say VERY LOUDLY," COMING THROUGH", and give them a micro second to move, or be moved, and more if needed. There are far too many TFI's in this world (total F'n IDIOTS). Butch/56sedandelivery.

29. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

As mentioned earlier, I was there and I cannot understand what all you guys are cryin about. Yeah, it was packed full, cripes it's a swap meet in the middle of winter in Buffalo! I didn't have any trouble moving around in there... Jeez. You fellas would complain about a free lunch!:D;)

30. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

lol!

:d