Register now to get rid of these ads!

Swap meet etiquette for a first timer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by inkmunky, Oct 2, 2009.

1. inkmunky

inkmunky

Sorry if this has been covered but i searched and went through the old "Swap Meet Etiquette" thread from 06 but it didn't really answer my questions.

Anyways I'm going to be going to the carlisle swap meet on sunday. This will be my first ever swap meet and i want to make sure i don't screw it up or step on any toes as i'm a young guy and just want to be as respectful as possible to the older and more experienced guys. So does anyone have any advice? Do's? Don'ts? basically how you would like to be treated by someone coming to buy your stuff.

Thanks

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Never ask "whats the least you'll take?" Thats just rude. If they ask you that, tell 'em the full price as marked.

3. Stick004

Stick004
    from Missouri

Always ask, "what does this fit?"

NOT: "will this fit my ______" you should know what will swap. 50% of guys will, say "yeah it should fit." just to make the sale.

4. inkmunky

inkmunky

I'm not selling just buying for this one.
    Yeah just like never just pick something up, always ask first.

5. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Swap meet etiquette is kind of an oxymoron. They're populated with poor behaviour so you'll never be the worst. If a seller doesn't get irritated at you, then you're not asking enough questions or bargaining hard enough :) Some people there are just grumps. Have fun!!

6. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

Yes,,Don't worry about the toes go for the throat! These are season Old Farts who know how to skuffle!
    Chew on the Seller like a squeek toy! Stay on 'em til he comes down to what you wanna give,,,GGGRRrrrrr! LOL!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUGQODL_vV0

7. Thats perfect!!!! ^^^^^

8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

If you see something you want, ask yourself "whats the max Id pay?" If its less than hes asking make an offer. If you need it and its rare then he's got ya. Be respectful but don't get your feelings hurt when someones a jerk. Some of those dudes just go to be mean:)

JimSibley likes this.
  9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Wait til the old guy goes out for a hamburger, offer his old lady $5 to remove that crap she has helped haul to Carlisle for 27 years in a row.

10. Put up or shut up. If you want it, buy it.

Don't expect it to be there at the end of the day.

JH

11. I always ask what is the least you will take.And have almost always gotten a better price if I actually show that I am wanting to buy it.
    Bottom line....there is no etiquette at a swap meet.Bull your way in,make your deal or you will be left behind.And speak up.If you wait until somebody stops talking,you will not get any attention.
    Thats my rude 2 cents.

12. v8 garage

v8 garage

Yeah, I agree when I saw the title of this thread I got a good chuckle. You will see the rudest bastards in the world at a swap meet, both buying and selling.
    V/8

13. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

DO NOT be afraid to counter offer.
    EVERYTHING at a swap meet is negotiable.
    (Except MAYBE the guy's old lady.)

14. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Don't go on Sunday. Go on Friday.

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Don't ever be the jerkoff who offers 50% or less to a guy from his sales price.
    10-30% is OK, the other says "I think you are an idiot."

Always be there the first day, that is setup day if possible. It is a deal day too since the money made first pays for the trip.

16. inkmunky

inkmunky

Thanks a lot guys just wanted to make sure i'm not heading in seeming like a young asshole out to swindle

17. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I always carry my brass knuckles just because a guy is in a wheel chair with an oxygen tank dont think hes not tough he didnt get that old and rough by being a nice guy , but I did get those spindles that I needed :D

18. retromotors

retromotors

ROFL ....... that's great .....!!:D:D:D

19. bring some true friends if you buy cast iron

20. Barn Yard Chevy

Barn Yard Chevy

HAHA!, My Old lady did exactly that to me!
    I had a box of crappy carbs and carb parts... Junk really. Anything in the box, for $5 each... There was probably enough carbs and parts to make about 10 good ones.
    She sold the whole box for $5...
    It was funny enough to me, I didn't care, I didn't have to take them home!

P.S. be on the look out for the sellers that start drinking right away in the morning... come back after a few hours and they're usually WAY more negotiable......

BYC

21. RodStRace

RodStRace

There are few rules as others have said. I will point out one thing though, if you don't want to look like an ass.
    If you just spent 30 minutes talking the guy down, don't hand him the exact amout that he was asking and expect change! Carry lots of small bills and don't pull them all out in a big roll. Flash what you are willing to pay.

22. butch

butch
    from Michigan

I will have price I will pay for some thing. If the guy is way out of line I just walk away. If it is in my range Ill make a offer. If you want it bad enuf you pay the price.Some people are thair to sell. Some will hall the same shit around for years.

cptn60 likes this.
  23. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

There's guys here insulted by 50% offers and others that don't believe in sundays. Yet in that last hour on sunday, everything trading hands is trading at 50% :)

24. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

What he said.

25. ryno

ryno

when you DO run into the grumpy asshole try to remind him, that he is the one at the sawp meet tring to sale his shit. tell him to have fun loading it all back up.

26. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Have just what you offer already in one wad...drag out your wad of crumpled, tear stained singles...count it slowly, twice..."this is all I have left after they repossessed my grandson's iron lung..."

If buying something heavy and dirty, come back when it is the last thing left to load back on the truck...

Most important, wear your HAMB shirt. Instant FEAR and RESPECT. They will be HONORED that you want their parts.

27. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

come on now some people forgot what a swap meet is all about

28. budd

budd

buy an old wagon first thing, one you can turn into a hotrod wagon later, make sure the wheels roll along nice, oil them if you have to, when you see something you want buy it, if you wait it will be gone next time around, go with a list in your head of what you want.

caseywheels likes this.

29. Don't be a complete asshole, and everything will be ok.

It's a pretty laid back atmosphere, bring cash, walking shoes,
    and an umbrella. Watch, and listen.

Expect too see more than a few empty spots,
    not everyone sticks around until Sunday.

30. Small bills in one pocket, large bills in another.