Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Swap meet 101

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Country Gent, Feb 24, 2010.

1. B Lawrence

B Lawrence
    from Ham.

I"ve been doing swap meets for 35 +. It"s great, I have fun ,learn lots,sell lots + buy lots. I normaly have real good stuff ,reasonable priced. You can"t put a price on aggrevation, so I never have any of it. Distorted offers don"t bother me at all. They are amusing, simple Yes or No! On a 3 day meet. Set up Fri. I sell 50% to other venders. Sat 25% to the public.Sat. nite load up ,go home. Come back Sun. with my Hot Rod for the car show. Life is good at Waterdown Swaps............

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here's a rule to live by. if a seller has a bucket of misc tools and another guy asks how much for the screwdrivers and you tell them 1.00 each don't dig in the bucket and grab a bunch of wratchets and gear wrenches and vice grips and think you are going to pay the same dollar each for the good stuff.

.....unless you like getting all panties in a bunch and walking away in a huff.

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

4. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Your the swap guy I would like to deal with. As I said before, I to have been on both sides of the fence. I can remember when the swaps allowed you to come on the grounds to pick stuff up or had a number of resourcefull dudes that would charge a couple of bucks to haul the stuff out by atv and a wagon. Down here in Fla at Z-hills, you can't do shit. money hungry lawyers!!. When Bud Josey had it , it was great.

5. Good Interesting Posts...I've been doing Parts Meets, Flea Markets and Car Shows for 40+ years and I'm still learning. I love searching and finding the stuff and then giving a good deal to someone who can use the part or another collector. Most of my stuff has price tags but not all, mainly because I turn it over so fast. If I cart some item to 2 or 3 sales and it doesn't sell...hell I'll take what I paid or even less just so I can go buy something else that might sell faster. Other dealers usually buy 50% of my stuff because it is priced so reasonable and I'm always open for negotiation. I really enjoy hearing all the stories that the buyers have and have alot of friends that I have met over the years at these shows and sales.
    Those stupid signs will loose business faster than a part with dog shit smeared on it :mad:!
    I go to these things to have fun as much as make a few extra bucks and I always come home with more money in my pocket, than when I left.
    See ya' at Carlisle :D:D.

6. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

When I go to a swap meets I dont go to pay what things are worth, I go to get deals!

7. Racingphotoguy

Racingphotoguy
    from Wisconsin

I have been a vendor for years. Attitude gets you nowhere on either side. I try to be as positive as possible when selling. I try to barter but not insult when buying. Will be at Jefferson this weekend in main building. Great thread.

8. Thumper

Thumper

I used to carry the old lady with me and she would wheel and deal and if the price was too steep she would just let them fondle her tits to get the price down.

Then I discovered she lets everybody fondle her tits.......:eek:

Bitch would come in handy these days...LOL.

9. beatcad

beatcad

last fall a buddy and i had a table at a swap meet. this is the sign i posted.
    [​IMG]

10. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Last year I did the Monroe swap meet just to clear the garage of a bunch of old parts.
    I showed up 2 hours before the public was allowed in and all my stuff was gone 30 minutes later.
    All my stuff was purchased by dealers who then stuck it on there tables at 5 times the price.
    It was like a feeding frenzy people were actualy taking stuff out of the back of the pick uo and asking price before I had a chance to un-pack
    The lamest thing about swap meets is that dealers have a day before the public to grab the good stuff at a reasonable price!

11. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Aparently you are new to the monroe swap, i just walk on in whether i'm selling or not, the fall one can be a little hard to get into, but there are ways or doing it

12. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Yes my first one I will have to jack my prices next time

13. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I come out around 4pm friday and start then, then i used to come in 7ish sat through the back gate, but the last couple years ive been selling and/or too broke to need to sneak in early saturday

14. Me and a bunch of my 67-72 Chevy truck buddies have four spaces together over by the totem poles. We sell a bunch of stuff, but its more of a buddy get together time. Set up the BBQ and just make a day of it.

I think they started setting up today, I believe vendors can get in tomorrow from 5 to 7 30am with a vehicle. No way to get out of there with your hauling vehicle after that, too many people will be blocking the way.

Should be a great day. I priced all my crap high so I can dicker with peeps. I hate doing that but people just seem to be happier when they can talk you down a bunch.

15. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

If it's not marked, I usually pass it up. If I do ask and they "have to find dad and ask" I leave. Always another one down the road...

16. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

if im selling something for $20 i'll price it at $25.he offers $20 i say sold!!! its a dance ,its been done this way for ever.....if someone just pays the $25 ,,than he really thought $25 was a good price...and we both win....
    what i hate is when they say "what will you give me.'? i say dont make me the buyer and seller cause i'll get the better end of this deal!!!
    most people have an idea of what something is worth or at least whats it worth to them....

17. brad chevy

brad chevy

I sell at the swapmeet the first sunday of every month,make me an offer,I tell you what I"ll take and go from there.theres assholes at every swapmeet but most of them are the last to leave because they have more unsold stuff to load back up.Guy asked me at last swapmeet if I had a carfax on my 55 Ford, Those are the kind of idiots that need to stay at home.Sure you take stuff to make money but I just enjoy the shit out of the carnuts and all the bullshit. 4-wheelers and damn golf carts need to stay at home too.