Register now to get rid of these ads!

SW "Wings" tach, what cup to use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OL 55, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Hey guys, I'm looking for a mounting cup to mount my SW tach on my dash. So far I haven't had any luck locating one. I've seen the ones (Borgeson $$) that are all one piece that mount to the steering column, but nothing for the dash.
    Here's the tach I'm talking about. It's the new wings gauge (3-3/8).

[​IMG]

I have an Auto Meter cup, but it's too shallow.....

[​IMG]

The back of the tach has some pretty long mounting studs and while I could cut them, there's a hot lug on the edge that would short out against the cup.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I pulled apart an old Sun tach I had laying around to see if that would work, and while it's a little taller, it's still too close to the hot lug.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So between the 2 of them, I've got zilch!!
    [​IMG]

I found this one from Summit ( P/N 240019 VDO) and it's 3 3/8. It looks longer, but they don't list dimensions so I don't know if it will be deep enough....

[​IMG]

Here's where I want to mount it.

[​IMG]

Any of you guys found anything that works on these tach's?

2. striper

striper

Trim those posts. That would be a good start. I'm gonna watch this one because I need a cup too. I made one to get me by but would like to find a nice store bought one.

3. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

4. Thanks Stu, I'll get back to you.

And the rest of you?? It's hard to believe someone on the HAMB hasn't come up with some way to mount these tachs on the dash!:)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

5. Bttt .................

6. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I need a deep cup for my mech tach too

7. henry29

henry29

Why is the tach stuck on 3?

8. It's an electric tach and does not know anything when the juice is off.

9. Avgas

Avgas

I have some spun Aluminum tach cups that will fit these tachs, just waiting on more column brackets if your interested? Wayne

10. marfen

marfen
    from sask

anyone come up with something? I'd like to mount my SW Wings tach on my column but I have the 1 1/2 40 ford style column and Borgenson start at 1 3/4

11. marfen

marfen
    from sask

Ended up finding the right size silver plated mug at an antique store, knocked off the handle and cut off the bottom to the right length, , made a bracket along the lines of those borgenson units out of 1/2" aluminum. looks unique for sure. Got lucky the tach fit perfectly inside.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. ..............................You gotta love hot-rodding ingenuity.:)

13. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a cup from classic industries. I needed to trim the studs a little bit it fit in.
    I had it mounted to the column with a hose clamp.

On another note, you will need to isolate the signal wire from interference if you have non suppression leads. Wrap the signal wire with aluminium tape will shield it. Otherwise the needle goes haywire.

lothiandon1940 likes this.