Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SW or Autometer Gauges?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31 Coupe, Apr 20, 2021.

1. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Hello all.
    Looking for some gauge advice please ...... I'm tossing up between the SW "Deluxe" range and the Autometer "Old Tyme" range.
    I've seen some bad reports on here about the newer style SW gauges but nothing about Autometer gauges.
    It's their quality aspects I'm most interested in, whether one brand is worse or better than the other please.
    Photos as requested, both are 2-1/16" diameter.
    Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  2. squirrel

squirrel

I have the SW gauges in a couple of mine, they work all right. I've heard a few guys having trouble with them, but mostly with the tach and speedometers.

The Autometer gauges just look wrong in a 50s-60s period correct build. If you don't care about that, then you might be better off with the autometers, they do seem to have better quality in general than the newer SW stuff.

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've used autometer gages since the late 80s because I've always felt they were a premium gage with function the number one priority.
    I can't help but wonder if SW is just a name put on a gage to satisfy a niche market.

4. That would not surprise me. A bit like the Chinese cars with MG badges, the company just owns the right to those two marketable letters.

The Stewart Warner are not the same as the original old US SW. (last ones I saw were Hencho en Mexico, which may or may not be bad) But they have the look.

As far as Autometer, the digital odometer is a killer.

Special Ed likes this.

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I think that if SW was on the ball they would make gages that looked exactly like the old ones but with modern mechanicals.

fauj likes this.
  6. I've heard too many bad reports about the new S.W. gauges and I had to replace autometer temp gauges twice in a pickup I had. I went with Classic.

fauj likes this.
  7. millersgarage

millersgarage

never had an issue with Autometer.

stylelinesteve and fauj like this.
  8. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I started collecting 50's - 60's SW gauges about 20 years ago, so those are all I use. I just don't like
    to see a period hot rod with new style gauges. Just me.

9. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

I have autometer in three cars , never a problem. SW and Dolphin problems

TCATTC likes this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

The "modern" mechanicals are the bad part. If they could build them with the vintage mechanicals the gauges would last forever. They don't make things like they used to.

19Eddy30, Desoto291Hemi and Budget36 like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

one difference I've noticed between old and new SW gauges, is the lighting...you can actually read the new ones at night.

12. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have Auto Meters Old Tyme series in my P.U. and they seem very well built and easy to read, plus made in USA. I have Classic Inst. in my coupe that are the P&J anniversary edition. They are very hard to read and have odd markings. For example the oil pressure has a number at 25 pounds and another at 50 with two marks in between. So you read as 25 pounds plus 12 1/2 plus 12 1/2 to 50. The water temp, volts and fuel also have odd markings. The plus side is they have been very dependable (up till now probably) and also made in the USA

13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This thread is worthless without pics...... ;)

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  14. boutlaw

boutlaw

Autometer in the racecar, after a year or so the Trans Temp gauge rapidly bangs left to right, unusable, all the other AM gauges work excellent. Have SW (Wings ) in the hot rod since built in 2012, with no issue, EXCEPT initially the water temp gauge read 20-30 degrees hotter than the engine was actually running. Thanks to BobF here on the HAMB I installed 2 10 ohm 1 watt resisters and a Zenor diode in the circuilt of the gauge and the gauge has worked flawlessly since. That thread is titled "Stewart Warner "Wings" water temp inaccurate" and explains the install of components...THANKS BOBF

X38, Special Ed and Atwater Mike like this.
  15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

S/Ws all my life, (well, since '55) old ones were great. After '68 or so, fuel gauges (4 or 5, had lots of cars) and water temp gauges, mechanical AND electric. Oil pressure gauges (3 or 4) leaked inside the gauge, dripped drops into my stylish right Penny loafer, stained my Argyle sock with Valvoline 30w Racing...
    Burnt a number of ammeters (S/W) before re-designing wire harnesses with shunts, changed over to Volt meters in 12 volt systems. (kept using ammeters w/o shunts in 6 volt cars)
    Discovered Auto Meter in the interim, ordered the 'Black faced Classics' (the gauge hands are shaped like arrows, with 'hollows' in the feathers...Jewel-like.)
    I am sold on the quality, but price is prohibitive: but UNLIKE S/W, I install 'em and enjoy 'em. Let the other guys replace S/Ws.
    Auto Meters going in my F100, wife is installing a Rebel Wire kit. (sure glad I influenced her to learn that... LOL)
    I was the 'hot rod wiring guy hereabouts (and San Jose) since '60, did all my harnesses from scratch.
    Rebel has emancipated me, so easy!
    So...Auto Meters to let me know what's on the other end of my Rebels.

Desoto291Hemi and boutlaw like this.
  16. I've always used my gauges to let me know what's going on with my mechanicals, not as fashion statements. Auto Meter always kept me informed, even when I had the misfortune to be on my side or upside down.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Rumour has it that SW has moved back into the US and the new units work well.... (within the last 2 years)..... from Mexico back to the USA...I have nothing more than that.

ClarkH, Blues4U, fauj and 3 others like this.
  18. alchemy

alchemy

It takes a lifetime to build a good reputation, and a minute to ruin one.

If SW has really moved back and are now building a good product, it might take a while to prove how good they are.

19. nobux

nobux

My SW speedometer lasted 500 miles until the plastic gears stripped out. The cheap Speedway unit I bought for an temporary replacement has been working fine for a couple of years now.

20. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I should have said quality modern mechanicals.
    Who knows anymore where parts are coming from.

21. I have Stewart Warner winged gauges in my '32 Ford & Auto Meter in the Ranch Wagon, both work fine. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. I have SW in my 53 mechanical oil pressure and mechanical water temp. They look "right" but after about 8 years the water temp the black gauge face coating is flaking off. It causes the needle to stick, once the temp gets close to 180 the needle breaks free

23. catdad49

catdad49

I like these. IMG_2242.JPG

Atwater Mike likes this.
  24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Do those gauges have rounded (curved) glass? It doesn't look flat.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  25. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Autometer gauges have worked well for me in my Plymouth. I will probably use them in my 34 Ford.

20160703_134959.jpg

26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I bought several different old SW gauges off of eBay until I got all I needed. Sometimes one or two, sometimes four or five together. Haven’t hooked up my water temp or oil pressure yet, still have to get senders for those, but the fuel gauge and volt meter work fine. I went with all electric because I didn’t want a leaking oil line inside the car.

I think I ended up with three ammeters, a “ economy” vacuum gauge, and a oil temp gauge extra. Was looking for the vacuum gauge the other day and can’t remember where I stuck it.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  27. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I am using AutoMeter in the Comet and like them. I prefer mechanical gauges over the type that need a sending unit, and a volt gauge instead of an amp gauge.
    9615E53C-5C28-4792-888B-6510DE4A08BF.jpeg

28. When I was building my 34's dash I initially installed a full set of early S/W gauges but when I turned on the lights the gauges were so dusty inside they were unreadable! Not finding a way to clean them I sold them and went with some horrid So. Cal gauges until I bought a full set of Classics. Still haven't put the Classics in yet. They're the discontinued Moon design. 34dashwithwings.JPG

29. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Thanks for everyone's contributions, very much appreciated.
    Just so you know a bit more about this project ...... these are to be fitted to a RHD converted '46 Ford Tudor dash bezel in Australia.
    Most RHD converted '46 - '48 Fords down here usually flip the LHD bezel over to the opposite side but the corner radii are inverted and don't look correct. Not being a perfect alternative but I am able to machine a RHD copy in aluminium with the radii reversed. To maintain the similar rectangular type gauge openings these two gauge styles lend themselves to be rear mounted and maintain their optical range.
    At the moment I believe that the Autometer "OLD TYME" ones look to be the best alternative, especially with their compact font layout etc.
    Thanks again HAMB.

30. Interesting, Australian 46 -48 continued to use the 41 dash/cluster.