Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suspension Torque Specs needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tokyo, Mar 19, 2007.

1. I am rebuilding my front end of my 50 mercury and am now to the point of getting the parts back together.

Are there any numbers or tightness specifications for the upper and lower a-arm to frame bolts, as well as the eccentric bolts for the uprights (both upper and lower), beyond getting them as TIGHT as they can go??

I don't have a manual so if anyone has one or can offer me any advice that would be great.

Thanks,

tok

2. Rivet

Rivet

Half a turn before the bolt breaks :).

Or at least thats what my ole man would tell me as a kid, he could be wrong though.

Bag setup looks good btw.

3. squirrel

squirrel

4. Rivet

Rivet

I sometimes take torque settings with a grain of salt. On older machines and situations when you are threading into aluminum (not a problem on our cars) sometimes you run into brittle threads because of time, weather, or a jackass that over torqued the bolt in 1964. I trust my arms alot with some situations, all except engine building of course.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. squirrel

squirrel

That's a good idea....also, if you bought bolts at the hardware store, they are probably grade zero or minus one! lotsa crap out these days. But old suspension bolts are generally very strong.

6. thanks guys.

I got all new bolts and eccentric bolts for the uprights so I feel good about that.

I felt pretty good about getting them really, really tight by hand, but didn't want to make any mistakes with this part of the build.

tok