Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suspension question for Early mustangs/ falcons

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by No_Respect, Mar 3, 2011.

1. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

I am rebuilding my front end for my 1960 comet wagon I have the Granada disks and spindles I have a some of the early mustang parts but I was wondering if I have 66 or 67 control arms? what is the difference between the years will later years work like 67? I still need to buy lower control arms/ball joints and I noticed there was a difference in part numbers between the years but that's all I know

2. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

I rebuilt my '66 Mustang and the upper control arms were one '66 and one '67. If I remember the '67 arm didn't fit right. I also know that the lower arms of a '67 are longer due to the wider track width. I would think that you would want to stick with the early '65-'66 parts. Keep in mind also that if you are using the Granada spindles you will need to modify the tie rod links. Also if you are lowering the ride hight you may have problems with Ackerman angle. Check the Mustang forums for such info. You can also check http://www.mustangsteve.com/granadadiscs.html good info on
    Granada swap. Just remembered this company good info. http://www.discbrakeswap.com/

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  3. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

DdoubleD is right about the a arms.Use 65-66.Check out ebay for a new set of upper and lower a arms they can be had cheap and come with new ball joints installed.Mustang steve offers a shim to go on the tie rods to allow you to use your stock 6cyl tie rods.If you are going to lower your wagon,you will need to do the shelby drop to correct your steering angle.We have done this countless times and it works well.There are several sites that give you the measurements for the shelby drop.It is as simple as taking two measurements and drilling two holes per side.If you intend to put a V8 in the car now is the time to change out your steering to the later 65 falcon V8 steering center link and tie rods.You can also check out TFFN.net for all the info you will ever need on the falcon/comet suspension and steering.Look up Jeff Thomas on there and check out his web site.He has been there and done that with anything you can do with a falcon.He has answered my questions several times.

4. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I think 64 1/2 thru 66 are the same and 67 thru 70 are the same. you may have to check with one of the parts vendors for theses cars to see which numbers coincide. Ed sounds like he has you steered right.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

I had some of the same ?s. Thanks.

Just bought a '60 Comet 4-dr wagon that's in MT...can you post pictures of yours? There just aren't any around!

Thanks.