Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Suspension designs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willsullivan, Dec 1, 2019.

1. willsullivan

willsullivan

Yes I can see that, i was just referencing the overall ride height, more so the ground clearance I guess, let me see if I can find a better example

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. willsullivan

willsullivan

3. willsullivan likes this.
  4. ride height is built into the car
    you have to build it how you want it to sit.
    for that height and chassis, a 4inch axle would be a start
    the rest is figured out with all the weight on the car.
    both pics of 32 frames you used as an example has a very slight body overhang on the chassis, the body is slightly lower over the frame. I like this look on a model A. A 32 chassis can look "fat" with the body directly on top of the chassis.
    A model A style front X member will lower the chassis over a stock 32 style front X member

willsullivan likes this.
  5. willsullivan

willsullivan

Thanks, ill make sure and do that. Couldn't I adjust castor with the wishbones? Or does it need to be factored in to both places?

6. willsullivan

willsullivan

Thanks for the help!

7. the wishbone or hairpins will hold the caster, it does help to also have the spring close to the desired caster. A zero caster spring mount and an axle held at 5-7 degrees caster will place unnecessary stress on the perches and shackles

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    jimgoetz, Chappy444 and willsullivan like this.
  8. willsullivan

willsullivan

I see what you mean, thats a good point

9. here is a crazy low 32 chassis that has been bobbed
    look up Pinkeys rod shop for more info
    32 chassis.jpg

willsullivan likes this.
  10. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

These examples are setup pretty similar to my 32 pickup I posted earlier in this thread.. As far as the chassis setup goes there’s probably not much different going on.. I wanted a low stance but not to the point where you’re scrapping your he frame on driveway ramps and so forth. Mind you this pic was not with the final wheel and tire combinations and not at the full weight of the vehicle with all necessary parts installed.. But it was pretty close..

willsullivan likes this.
  11. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Here's another way to do it. Use later style bones with the spring in front. This puts the spring mount a lot lower than it is when it is on top of the axel. You have to modify (bend) the spring mounts or modify the bones behind the axle. I don't have a photo of stock wishbone set up but if DSCN1112.JPG you look at one you will see what I mean. You don't see this done very much any more but it wasn't that uncommon in the early days. The main problem is this will shorten up the wheelbase some but you can overcome that by moving the crossmember forward if you want.

12. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

MMM.
    Thinking out of the box for that behemoth engine.....
    3 Springer...semi ellipticals up front?
    AA frame?
    Later V8 frame up to '48 more car like, less horseless carriage like ?
    or.....

Dump the MEL and get a 331 Cadillac, Flathead, Olds or SBC and keep it on the straight and narrow.

13. willsullivan

willsullivan

Not a chance, I like it too much, plus I already have it, there is no way I come out ahead if I try to sell it and get a different engine.

14. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Go to Ebay and buy a copy of this book. "How To Build A Repro Rod" by John Thawley. There are several on Ebay for about $8 with free shipping. It will explain everything you need to know about your suspension and steering. It will save you a lot of grief............
    [​IMG]

willsullivan likes this.
  15. Moriarity and willsullivan like this.
  16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

It looks like this would be your first hot rod build, correct? Do yourself a favor and don't stray too far from traditional build methods and styles. That bobbed 32 chassis above with the suicided spring behind axle setup, you'd be adding a lot more complication than would be wise for a 1st build. And you loose the visual appeal of the frame horns. You asked about negatives of going with a suicide front end, and some advice on that was already given, but something to add to that is the wheel base. There is a natural appeal to the stock setup, with the axle mounted below the crossmember with the radiator above. When you start moving those things around you're playing with the visual appeal of the car, and though some turn out well, IMO the majority don't. When the axle is pushed out in front it screws with the aesthetics, IMO. I think this is best left to those who aren't building their first rod. My advice, stick to the standard spring over axle set up. 4" dropped axle works well. Reverse the spring eyes. No need to re-invent the wheel, go with the tried & true. Split bones are maybe more traditional than hairpins, but hairpins have been around long enough and are traditional. An advantage they offer is the tie rod can run between the bars of the hairpins, so you don't have to struggle with bending steering arms to get the tie rod underneath the bones. I like to see traditional side steering on a rod, that's my preference, but the Vega box/cross steering works well too, I just like the aesthetics of the side mounted steering box, the pitman arm and the drag link running up to the drivers side front wheel, that's what looks right to me. But that is subjective and not everyone agrees, just a personal opinion.

jimgoetz, ekimneirbo and willsullivan like this.
  17. the mentioned wheel base issue is something to consider. Some push the front slightly forward on fenderless cars. Most of the time to fit the engine and radiator.
    Your building an odd set up with that engine, mock up everything before welding solid
    grill shells look goofy when pushed forward of the axle center line (in my worthless opinion)

BamaMav and willsullivan like this.
  18. willsullivan

willsullivan

I see what you mean, but I'd like to keep my axle as far forward as possible for weight distribution, as well as lowering the engine as far as possible

19. willsullivan

willsullivan

Yeah this is the first one that I'm doing from start to finish, I've worked on other peoples before, but i wasnt planning them out. And thanks for the advice, the more i look at it, the more i think i am going to go spring over axle.... yeah I like the frame horns alot aswell, so if I dont have to cut them, I wont. As far as steering goes, I'll need to look into that further

jimgoetz and Blues4U like this.
  20. willsullivan

willsullivan

21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Since it's an A body on a 32 chassis he has the option to move the body backwards to gain some needed clearance. Like you said, he needs to mock it all up. Stretching the frame can gain another few inches without being too noticeable, but I'd recommend keeping the relationship of the axle to the radiator, in my mind that is critical to the aesthetics. Again, some guys get away with playing with that and changing things, and it works out. But it is a place where you can really screw things up if you're not careful.

Check out this sedan delivery, in this case I think it turned out OK, not great, but OK. But if it wasn't for that great Olds engine in there, eh, I don't know that I'd be so OK with it. You move that radiator shell out there like that, and you're playing with fire... ;)
    20170616_163307.jpg 20170616_163315.jpg 20170616_163325.jpg 20170616_163409.jpg

anthony myrick and willsullivan like this.
  22. I KNOW I WILL CATCH A LOT OF FLACK FOR THIS.

Do NOT do this!!
    upload_2019-12-5_17-26-57.png

I know a lot of guys are doing this and there will be comments one way or the other. But the fact of physics and science says this is a bad idea. The engineer in me SCREAMS " RUN FOREST RUN" every time I see this. Essentially the entire weight of the front of the car is hanging on 2, count them bolts in single shear. The moment load and the shear force on these bolts is scary.

If one of these perch pins breaks, the entire weight of the front corner will be driving the spring into the ground at what ever speed you are traveling at the time. I forsee Henry Ford sheet metal sliding, tumbling, and bouncing down the road only to stop once all the energy has subsided. By the time it stops, all your hard work could be a very mangled mess. And hopefully you survive.

Yeah, I know this is a key feature to the Rolling Bones type suspension build. they get away with it, YADA YADA YADA. The fact is there are a lot of cars built this way. Some have failed while others have not. The fact that you are running a heavy engine, your first build, etc. The cards are stacked against you. Proceed with caution and be educated before you go down that path.

Attached Files:

jimgoetz, willsullivan and Blues4U like this.
  23. willsullivan

willsullivan