Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SURVIVOR;Working on my hotrod 28A from 1959,rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dana barlow, Apr 11, 2013.

1. rodl

rodl

Lookin' good Dana. I can see your missus out the back giving it her seal of approval!
    RodL

dana barlow likes this.
  2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Thank yu'all.
    At this time I'm doing my own 1928A insides now that the shiny paint is on,it will be black and yellow roll n pleats. Same wrong old cheepy $20 yardsale housewife sewing machine, cuz I'm still too low on $ to buy a real walking foot one=about $300 on ebay if I had that.:(
    I did my design posted earlyer, found some prepleated in yellow kind of like the white stuff I used for my son's 23T,but this seemed to be the only yellow any one makes} not made as well as the white I had,this yellow roll n pleat has a super thing backing sheet ,so thin it bunch up or even tares up trying to sew it.=must fix this. I came up with a way to get around this junky backing by putting 2in. wide masking tape on the thin stuff along the edeges I sew,works good and just leve it there,it don't hert anything and out of site anyway.
    Here is a first look at the panels and rug I just did..
    The sew tech I did wayback on how too,is same way doing it now;http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=604077

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    33sporttruck likes this.
  3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

A little extra trick I'll pass along is around my inside door nob,is just a 1in. ID Curtain Grommet,only seems to come it a 8ct. pack=have 6 left.:p Looks cleaner to me then just having a hole in the vinyl.
    The door latch is a Bearclaw with a drour nob added.;)

MARRY CHRISTMAS.

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

The little trim for around the inside door nob is one of these things,I only used 1/2 and made it press in to the door panel with a small bit of glue.;):cool:

Attached Files:

33sporttruck likes this.
  5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good. You are one resourceful hot rod builder! Good show.

dana barlow likes this.
  6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And maybe the mods aren't watching, who knows (I mean how can they possibly keep up with everything?) . . . but, how can this not be in the "Traditional hot rod" forum?

Are you not re-creating what you did in 1959? (So what if you're a South Florida redneck, what does that have to do with it?) :)

dana barlow likes this.
  7. ScooterCO

ScooterCO
    from Parker, CO

Those panels look great! Keep it up and you will driving in no time!

dana barlow likes this.
  8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Thanks BrerHair ,n ScooterCo !
    With the masking tape work around for the poor thin backing of prepleated yellow,I felt good about it. So did the seats as well,they feel great sitting in too:D:cool:

The tech on how I do my own upholstery;
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=604077

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    33sporttruck likes this.
  9. Nice! I like The black and yellow!

dana barlow likes this.
  10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Having some fun driving around,to work out any little stuff,definity need the taller 2in. or so tires all 4,but feels pretty good over all.:cool:
    next project is trying to build a folding top from scatch,I'll be doing a tech on this fun!:D

Attached Files:

enloe and 33sporttruck like this.
  11. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Wow Dana! Glad to hear you are cruising around! How did it feel?

dana barlow likes this.
  12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats Dana, well done!

dana barlow likes this.
  13. rodl

rodl

Goodonya Dana, well done mate!

dana barlow likes this.
  14. pitman

pitman

Love that A-Bucket! Turned out right Dana.

dana barlow likes this.
  15. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Very cool!

dana barlow likes this.
  16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Neat, Dana. So what's you excuse for not making it up to Tampa for the NSRA show this October going to be this year? You better come! Gary

dana barlow likes this.
  17. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Thanks gang,I'll be buffing out the paint soon,an will paint "Déjà vu" name on her,small but readible,maybe rigth side dash only?I'll fig that out later. It is like a timemachine driving her again.:D:cool::cool: I'll need to rebuild another y-block 292 at some point,I have two others for parts,my old one in the rod is pretty used and smokes a bit at anything above about 2500rpm,but cuz my old one still could run,I'm letting it's first hart pump for a time.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Very cool car and story! :cool: Nice work.
    Bring her up The Groundhog Gala, Feb 1st
    www.groundhoggala.com

JT
    Orlando Misfires C.C.

dana barlow likes this.
  19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Dana.Just outstanding.I was born in Miami,and raised just up the road from you in Vero Beach.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

dana barlow likes this.
  20. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Thanks glade yu'all are enjoying this.
    My plan is not to run the top on the rod very much,but to have something to put on if weather looks kind of iffy about rain,but can then fold it down inplace if needed.. Franky I don't like a folded down tops much ether my self,so all of it can come off EZ or just fold down temp in this design.
    Here is some of the work I'm playing with now,doing a folding top,I'll be trying to do a tech of it all.;http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9479688#post9479688

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    33sporttruck likes this.
  21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Working out how to make a pattern for my fabic,looking like 3 panels to the sides with center running as one part from headerbow to rear wood cockpit lip,going to put a oval rear window in the back 8in.x22in. and think 9 snaps may work along that wood lip:cool:

Attached Files:

22. pitman

pitman

Dana,
    The fellow who made the top for my A, put three snap ID bases, on the upper bow 'area' inside, so the rear window panel would hinge up and snap to them. They may locate easily on mid-bow to rear-bow straps, just beneath the top. This gave sun protection and added ventilation, like a 'bimini' top. The side view opening-curvature you select, will make a big difference, in how the top looks!

dana barlow likes this.
  23. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Thanks,pitman,
    Good idea on holding a rear window up. I have not desided yet to have rear window flap open or not?
    "The side view opening-curvature you select, will make a big difference, in how the top looks!" I do see a lot of tops in photos that were done only for looks from the out side but driver can't see sideways with out leaning a lot forword,so I'm thinking more like a stock "A" top,so I can just look to my left vs having the side fabic come up to door opening or so.:cool:

24. Dana, I enjoyed your thread on this. I really appreciate people that do it all in their garage. Congrats.

dana barlow likes this.
  25. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    33sporttruck likes this.
  26. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Awesome, Dana!!!!

dana barlow likes this.
  27. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

[​IMG]Thanks,there is always more to do.:D
    The used old free tires on it now still bother me,but I do like the alum slot rims,so at some point I'll need to get some tires about the size I had on in the 60's,I know I can't fine any General Dual 90's like I had on rear,but some groved pie's maybe? an some 24 or 25in. high fronts,passed that I'd like to rebuild my old y-block to be fresh again.
    I got enough left over parts still to build the 1917 Hubb roadster to a roller,mybe I'll get to that mid year or so.;)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  28. ScooterCO

ScooterCO
    from Parker, CO

Great job on the top! It's cool that you did it in your garage..
    How about a ride? Or at least a video?

dana barlow likes this.
  29. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Dana, It is Good to see Your Old Girl running again. I have to tell you that the upholstery job looks Great. You have been successful at putting your dreams together again. Keep up the Good Work........... Jeff

dana barlow likes this.
  30. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I still got to get the new paper work all done ,but its started,an pick up the tag.
    Buffed out the paint this weekend,looking shinyer now! My buddy Jorge used his super buffer to show me the right tool for the right job vs my little one.

Attached Files:

33sporttruck likes this.