Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SURVIVOR;Working on my hotrod 28A from 1959,rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dana barlow, Apr 11, 2013.

1. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Got my old tail lights working again with parts out of a new set of trailerlites set HF @ $9.99, as you see I've desided to use the bigger headlite side this time for more saftey,by using red trailer lenz behind big clear side will be briter. vs small thick red glass side I used back when there was a lot less crazy driver in Miami Fl. The wood back panel will be covered with stainless steel* vs old alum sheet I had there before. I have kept the stainless for a time now for this use,my buddy Rosh was working at Miami Airport when they were tairring down one of the old buildings,they trashed a art deco wall of dimpled stainless steel paneling,so Rosh put it in his truck and gave it to me. You'll get to see that later on when I make both fire wall and back panel out of that..to replace the bad alum back pandel that is now nasty dull and bent.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    33sporttruck likes this.
  2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Little things count too me,here is some old detail;I never had much $ to get chrome done but hunted up some used parts, really liked to add shiny anyway I could :cool:. Feels good too,polish up anything that was alum,brass,copper,stainless or cad plated plus one trick I don't see much,I used coins were I could as a shiny spot :cool::D Top of my Kingpins I shined up nice with 50cents and tierod ends with 25cents with zert fitting in mid. of it., my drilled brake drum airscoops were made from then new alum stop sign,they still have some stopsign paint on there inside but I'll leve it there,I kind of like it now.:cool: Leter I'll polish and paint nice again.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2013
    33sporttruck likes this.
  3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Today we see a lot of shock mounts and headlite stands that all look the same pretty much,but back when I built my rod,we were mostly on our own to come up with stuff and make it work.
    Some more old detail,the shock stands are from front of 1948 Ford car that I drilled a lot and headlite stands are a little bit modafied 1928 modal A cut and bent front fender braces,the bullet acorn nuts are off a MC , I have a nice new alum rad now that I fitted into my old 28 chopped down shell.
    Nuts and bolts that hold stuff together are stainless steel that were rounded by me and polished. This will all look shiny and nice again when I'm closer to being done with rebuild.:cool:
    If you look hard ya can see a 25cent coin on my steering rod end at the very bottom of photo with a grease zert fitting through it,for extra shiny spots.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
    33sporttruck likes this.
  4. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

You put up all those nasty comments about my 29 and your building a T-Bucket lmao. Hope you have a super duper all star do the paint work.

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I loved your roadster/coupester,not sure what you'r even talking about,,but sorry if you took something wrong .

6. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

So where are the pics of your friends Mgb v8? I think it's pretty cool you kept your hotrod this long. I haven't kept one over 7 years.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

dana barlow likes this.
  7. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Father/Son Model T's very cool

dana barlow likes this.
  8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

For "gunswanted";My buddy John Fenner's MGB 350SBC V8,he bubbled the fenders , customezed the hood and roll pans,rebuilt the framing ect.,bad fast little classic sports car hotrod.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Close and thanks,I had a great deal of fun helping my son build his 1923 T-bucket from scratch,no kit and yes he and I did all of it,even paint and upholstery at home.
    He is helping me redo my 1928 A roadster shown in this rebuild thread and that is adding to the fun as well.:D:cool:

33sporttruck likes this.
  10. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Thanks for sharing. I like v8 conversions in lightweight sports type cars. Turned out nice.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

dana barlow likes this.
  11. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

"EZ,the one that has a shiny paint job,the other one is owned by a know nothing about paint ,nothing about hot rods and looks like crap,its a coupester" Dana Barlow

Hey listen I like my car and that's all that matters.............. You don't like it write the check and you can do it anyway you would like. We all hang out in a small circle so before you go throwing cheap comments out from behind your keyboard.

12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

A lot out of contex on here, but Sorry way too harh, but that was from FaceBook not any hotrod sites,were a racer frenid of mine ask out of two small pics,witch rod would I pick,that was my pic and why,there were no owner names on pics,but your choice to make a ratrod and those get bad reactions.
    So I did you wrong not knowing anything but a small pic. So to show you a little repect,I hunted up more info on your rod by looking at your album on this site were there is much better pics. In those looks like a nice rod with good stance ,but hiding under a ratrod paint job. So I too was know nothing from small pic,other then that ,one of the two rods in those small pics was much better looking then other. So sorry,

Last edited: May 5, 2013
    33sporttruck likes this.
  13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Made a new 12volt light scoket bracket here,old one was rust trash,but close to same design I had.but I'm turning the bigger lenz side to rear for more safety.

Attached Files:

14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I need a lot more of sanding, clean up,shiny paint an polish to get back to looking right again.
    Radiator cap winged lady came off top of my first trophy I ever got with this hotrod,was for best engineering in unfinshed class [it's the only trophy Ruddy gives for unfinished anyway],I didn't have anything but perimer on it for about 2 weeks an no headers at all,as I was trying to finish her up enough for the shiny nice stuff,but the show at Dinner Key came up and I was not really ready as I was trying for,so took Ruddy[show promotor] a polaroid photo,he said if you bring it,I'm only letting the best three unfinished cars in to the back of show,others will be turned away,plus if I full up with nice cars I'm not going to have a unfinished class at all,so take your chance{unfinished was anything with perimer by his show rules]
    I love this lady!: I have a Motormeter Rosh gave me I tryed,but just like my lady better so she stays on her padistel!
    Found some new stonescreen to use too,may get a few less rock dings in the new rad this time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  15. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I replaced the steering hoop, old welds were not so great on and real rusty:eek:,with a new one,new is well made but kind of standard,so added a custom cover plate I made of alum and polished some now,more on finish,that gives it at lest some holes a little like my old arm.:cool:Ya I always liked holes,they look sexy.
    Later after getting all stuff together again,comes take it all apart to clean ,sand and paint/polish,but for now one part at a time fixed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  16. TRIK3R

TRIK3R

Gunswanted,, PM sent with link to the MGBV8 build as to not hijack this thread.

Looks good Dana! Still have to get by there, might have some time this weekend.

dana barlow likes this.
  17. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Dana, Really a Cool Re-Build you have going. Keep the pictures coming !!! I will be watching this one. Can't wait to see all of the "Shiny"...................Jeff

dana barlow likes this.
  18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Just for a compair of tail light sides,big side vs smaller side of red lenz. I ran the small side years ago. On todays roads and all the cars,I'm going for the bigger light lenz this time.:D
    The plywood will not be showing as it is covered up by a art decko dimpulled stainless steel panel that was saved from trash pile when they were ripping apart the old airline building at Miami airport. The idea I have for my chrome Fla. plate frame this time is to mount it on rearend center,to kind of give a balance ,I had it under left tail light before

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2013
    33sporttruck likes this.
  19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I'm making my steering column myself the same way I did it for my son's T:D:cool: that came cool, here is how;
    First I looked for a good outer tube around 1-3/8 up to 1-3/4,didn't matter much as long as it looked fairly nice. So I found a shiny alum tube from a old unbrela stand out of a picknick table that had been trashed=I love free-B's. I had a 2in. alum dowel that I put in my leath and drill a hole in center down about 1.5in.the size of my steering shaft ,and cut down outside to same as tubing outer size,round off the tip just for a smoothy there. Next about a 1/2in. down from what would be the top,cut a step 1in. long down to fit inside of tubing and cut it off at base of step= very close fit,locks in tubing top by very small screw. Add a little grease into hole and that part is ready. Next to make a nice looking stand off of dash to have a soild feel to column.

Attached Files:

33sporttruck likes this.
  20. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

To stabuliz the column;I had some leftover shiny stainless steel 1/2in. tube and some strap 1/8in.x1in. used for this part. Along with small 1in.alum dowel I cut off as long as the column tube is wide,that I drilled a 1/4in. hole through and polished up. Bent the strap in to a "U" to fit around column tube by using a pipe in my vise just a little smaller then tube and placing the 1in. dowel part could tell were to drill 1/4in. hole so they fit together making a nice clamp to add the 1/2in. dash arms to,made by just flatten ends round off,bent to fit /drill 1/4in. also so this all goes together. comes out looking fairly pro.:cool:

Attached Files:

33sporttruck likes this.
  21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Steering wheels we use mostly don't have a nice looking underside were they go on our columns,so here is what I like to do.:D
    I find a small stainless steel bowl,or cup to make a bottom for steering wheel that blends it into column. In this case a stainlesscup from the supermarket $1.75 fits well and I like the taper of it,had to cut a little off the top of cup to blend with shape at bottom of steering wheel,plus cut a hole in bottom of cup a little bigger for column tube to go through,cup was jamed over wheel adopter and to my amazmint holds hard/I was going to epoxy it on to,but I can't pull it off,so tell it falls off,no epoxy or small screws that would be out of site under there anyway.:cool:
    See next post for photo of stainless steel cup base for wheel

33sporttruck likes this.
  22. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Photo didn't show?for above post so try the photo again.

Attached Files:

33sporttruck likes this.
  23. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

This shot is of my son's rod as he and I were building it,I did it the same way for my rod this time as well ,cuz my 1955 F1 shorten column and box rust out and turned to junk. New homemade column was a lot less then buying one,most are forsale in $100 plus range,and doing it your self is just way better.:cool:;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    33sporttruck likes this.
  24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Dana,
    Looks great to me! Just wondering, are you guys still racing the solar cars? Modifeds? Gary

dana barlow likes this.
  25. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

No Gary,
    No racing now, my son got tired of driving and winning ,what he said was that's enough,we won the last few Electrathon car races by around 12 laps ahead of nearist car running behind us,so it an't fun now. We sold it to the team that finished 2sec. mostly.:D and used the $ for his hotrod.

http://electrathonfl.homestead.com/
    I had to sell the mod racer too,no more race tracks in south east Florida,there all up near you now,3hr + drive one way,is just too long and costly added to cost of racing..:eek:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    33sporttruck likes this.
  26. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Took the rod all the way back apart ,down to bear frame,now that I've got old brackets gone and new ones made and welded to inside of frame were needed,should be much stronger after I get all the boxing plates fitted and welded around. :D
    So now boxing frame for the passed two days,but its been real hot 90*+feels like in shop :eek:,so I take every other hr. off in the house AC. I'm not in a rush at 70,so work at comfort pace. I'll try to get some pic.:cool:

27. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

My garage is a bit small and too much rain going on and still hot as &*^%:(,so working inside on mostlt new steel frame with two sawhorses plus a come-a-long holding it up just in case. No were to jump out of way if it falls off:eek:. Anyway with level at each end of frame so I can keep any twist out as I'm making a boxing design for old baby. The motor mount now has a new design I made so if needed,I can remove oilpan.;) In good weather the pop-up/car port is nice and brezzy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  28. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Motor mount,that the safety chain is covering some in center is twin 1/4in. alum. plates ,and shop mess I'm making as I box this.

Attached Files:

29. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It's beautiful

dana barlow likes this.
  30. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Enjoying this. Thanks for the ride along.

You son's T is sweet. Love the "trademark" keg, but love the story behind it even more.

So I'm assuming the engine gives a glimpse to the final color choice?

Got to ditch that orange oil filter, though. A white Wix would match better won't go projectile.

dana barlow likes this.