Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Survivor Hotrod Found!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Wired Customs LLC, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Squablow

Squablow

That's the one, very aptly named "survivor-ish"! Its really well done, he went the extra mile to reuse as much as possible but not retain anything hacked or dangerous. Really good build.

Outback, nutrocker and SS327 like this.
  2. Daniel Dudley

Daniel Dudley

I am nobody here, but it is pretty clear from the pictures that the frame wasn't up to snuff. If you can make a real driver out of it and keep the patina, you have saved the best part of that car. Sometimes you don't want to save the old as much as you want to build it in a way that the original owner would have done it if they had had the ability and resources. Look at that frame and some of the suspension pieces and tell me it isn't a little shaky.

I learned a lot from the first car I built, but I always had a desire to make it better. Best may be the enemy of good, but calling it good enough doesn't always make it good. I know this car is going to turn out right, and be the kind of car anyone would be proud to own. Sometimes you have to do what you think is right, even if it is offensive to some.

3. I talked to the original builder and he is super happy that I am redoing the frame, he even said the car would twist while driving even with the body welded to the frame

4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I don't think anyone is saying that replacing the old frame is wrong, the thing that is up for debate is whether or not it is still a "survivor" once you change out the frame!

5. Jax2A

Jax2A

If you find any information on them please share. I’ve been looking for info for almost two years and found very little as I have a pair that I’ll be using on my 27 T touring. Problem is I’m missing one of the marker lenses. When you open it up you’ll find that lens is marked Dietz 824 and is near impossible to find. I do have three of the marker housings though. I’ll probably end up casting a new pair of lenses from amber resin if I can’t find another original.

6. Jax2A

Jax2A

Dietz made two models of this light, this one is referred to as the 820D with the marker light and just the Dietz 820 without the marker light. There was no internal markings when I opened mine up. The only other markings were on the little marking lens which said Dietz 824. I still need one of those lenses. The main headlights in my pair did not match and seem to be later sealed beams so I don’t know how the original headlights were marked.

7. For those that want to tag along, Episode 3 is now live!

Outback, chryslerfan55, Cooon and 6 others like this.
  8. We are getting the frame stripped and keeping all usable parts!
    73234F63-0D31-4860-A36D-A77F458AD753.jpeg 832B5A9B-D264-4B2B-9AD4-D62B215734F4.jpeg

9. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really great hanging in your garage watching the work.
    I watched this about an hour ago.
    Looking for more

Wired Customs LLC likes this.
  10. Thank you I appreciate it!

hrm2k and Outback like this.
  11. I demonstrate why boxing a frame is important and show you why you need a frame table to get a straight frame when boxing! A lot of flex! B6238A49-836F-49E9-B77F-1DE7B4595422.jpeg

Nailhead A-V8, TFoch, AHotRod and 7 others like this.
  12. We made a jig on our homemade frame table! It will be removable in the jig so I can flip the frame upside down and do my finish welding on the bottom! 1AA8F9A6-4CFE-49EC-BAAA-20230B7A2563.jpeg

13. I caught my dad red handed drawing up the measurements on my Gene Windfield autographed poster! Haha I bet Gene would support it though! 873AC7B3-D200-4E28-A6BB-D7233DEAE13E.png

hrm2k, Outback, Okie Pete and 6 others like this.
  14. Budget36

Budget36

Regarding your headlights, I “think” I have a pair like those that were on a ‘36 Ford PU my dad bought in the early 50’s. I put them somewhere many years ago, but will take a gander to spot them and see if my memory is correct;)

15. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don’t think that much flex is normal in an A frame! I had a very nice one that we couldn’t get to twist at all even with two grown men standing on opposite corners.

16. garyleach

garyleach

Very cool. I was just able to do similar with my 32 coupe, with my father in law that had last rode in it around 1960. It was so special. Well worth all the effort put into so far.

17. redoxide

redoxide

very cool .great that you appreciated the farm built style of the original build but didn't get all starry eyed and nostalgic for that old school tech . It served its purpose, now move along :) Looking forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve for the rebuild . Good call with the new frame , I wish we could get original model A frames over here for $100.. try £1000.. !!! Its going to be one very cool fun car ..
    looking forward to future videos and postings . Thanks.

18. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was the front x member in the 'new' frame unservicable?

19. Okay that would be great!

hrm2k likes this.
  20. My frame was upside down and rocking on the rear crossmember, but they all flex, from what I remember Ford bragged about the frame flexing saying something like Flex not bend

hrm2k, Outback and AHotRod like this.
  21. That’s awesome! It doesn’t have to be a famous hotrodder for it to have fun and interesting story, that’s great you got to save that car

hrm2k, AHotRod and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Thank you I appreciate it! Sorry it’s so expensive over there, A frames are all over the place here, I find them all the time too

hrm2k, Outback and AHotRod like this.
  23. If you mean the crossmember then it was in okay shape and I saved it incase another A frame needs one, the front crossmember was unusable though, cracked and pitted really bad, couple big rust holes

hrm2k likes this.
  24. hotrodfords

hotrodfords

Awesome find, great time capsule.

I liked the 283 idea. Period correct, multiple carbs, what could be better?

25. I think that’s what we are leaning towards, I have multiple cars with flatheads and a 283 would be a nice change, then on top of that the last motor in the truck was a 283

KKrod, AHotRod and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. Happy 4th of July everyone! Here is a picture of my old and new crossmember!
    03BC26DC-5312-4DAD-95A4-6B24CF6274B1.jpeg

27. What degree do you guys set your crossmember to? Just wondering!