Register now to get rid of these ads!

Survey: Most Under rated Cars of all time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carpet Bomber, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Why'd ya go and do that--- you stole mine.

I believe the Corvair is even tho mine tryed to kill me twice (unsuccesfully I might add) I'd buy another on in a heartbeat. They're a blast to drive, quick and nimble, good on gas, minimalist, "safe"ish and Bubble top/ flat top cool (early ones, anyway) Did I mention awesome in snow? (Gas heater a plus there, as well as intact duct work and low rust factor.)

2. Carpet Bomber

Carpet Bomber
    from Minnesota

Amen- to the vair gods. I have an early. But I say they are the must underrated because no other car has recieved such a undesearving bad rep. then the Corvair.

3. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I'm all for the early Mopars (pre-60's) and Hudsons, and Nashs

4. Except for Airflows and Edsels. Personaly I like the Edsels looks better than the '58 & especially''59 Fords and understand they were better built and engineered cars.
    Airflows were just victims of bad timing but recipients of exceptional quality (the Limos were pretty incredible).
    I have to defer to yhe older members on the Hudsons. My dad always talked about them in high regards and I think the press liked them, too. The sold pretty well for independents I'm sure, in part, do to their sucsess on the track but also 'cause they were "thrifty" for the times. Or am I full of it?

5. From 1954 to 1961 Facel Vega produced the FVS and HK 500 . They were one of the first "global" cars. The design was concieved by Pininfarina of Italy; the steering from Germany ;brakes from Lockheed of England; rear suspension from Salisbury(eventually became Dana);the body and interior were hand built in Paris;and the engine ,trans , heater and electronics from Chrysler. The majority of the FVS models(247) were produced with 331/354/392 Hemis with a limited number having the 300 letter series engines. Brakes were always frowned on but with the introduction of the HK 500 (397) with 4wdb in 1959 this was no longer an issue. The HK was essentially an upgraded FVS and all Hk's came with early Chrysler wedge engines. They were not cheap and were not for the common guy but they were right in the hunt with Ferrari,Mercedes and Aston Martin . Weve currently have a 57 FV with the 354 /345hp engine undergoing restoration at our shop. While doing the research on this car I believe that it can easily fit the bill of this post.

Larry

Attached Files:

• img5.jpg
      img5.jpg
      File size:
      10.5 KB
      Views:
  6. That was the old body style, the 51 was the sleek one, but even these were great practical cars.

7. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Late model turbo Corvairs are the catzass......................... Amazing little cars. Fuck Ralph Nader....

8. Cruiser

Cruiser

natas,

I agree with you the Corvair spider my have been "unsafe at any speed" Nater, but it was a great road car, it could take curves at high speed very well and go like hell. My high school friend owned the nice red Corvair I'm writing about.

"Be Cool Drive a Cool Short"

Cruiser 49:cool:

9. ol fueler

ol fueler

Anybody notice how much the rear quarter & trunk of the Traveler looks like a Jaguar sedan??

10. 55fairlane

55fairlane

I got my Ford in running condition for $2k and while I was driving it today, a guy stuck in traffic next to me offered to give me one just like it for free if I would tow it off his lawn. "It's got a little rust but its complete" he says.
    I'm calling AAA tomorrow to get it. Four doors rule and I can only hope they stay this under rated!

11. wsdad

wsdad

1963 Pontiac Tempest Lemans
    326 v8 under the hood
    Transmission under the trunk
    Perfect 50/50 weight distribution
    Flexable driveshaft arced under the floor
    No transmission or driveshaft hump in the floor
    Independant rear suspension
    389 would bolt right up without any modification
    Fun, well engineered car by John DeLorean
    Movie, "My Cousin Vinney" makes the case better than I

Attached Files:

12. Nightshade

Nightshade

I put my vote to Tuckers and the Edsels.

The Tucker for design achievments that broke the boundaries both in safety and performance for the time.

Edsel simply for some of the design aspects especially when it comes to interior. The grill is what killed it aesthetically but I actually like the grills on them and don't think they looked so bad.

13. wsdad

wsdad

I think you're right. They look out of place and break up the flow on the front of an Edsel but I think they would be cool on the front of a T-bucket!

14. How about on a T coupe?
    DSC01859.JPG

15. Hey, yeah,... that's a good one! I'd put that right up there.

16. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

oh yeah! Studebaker avanti!

I tried to explain to my wife that one was a 64, and she told me I was wrong. there was no way in heck THAT car was built in 64.:D

(I could never tell if it was because it was too ugly to be a 64, or too new looking....)

17. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The OHC 6 Sprint Pontiacs. Built ten years too early for the market.

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Especially the AMX (the real one's with no back seat :) )

and mid 60's Buicks.... They surprised plenty of so called muscle cars... Corvairs...

19. I agree, '63-'64 Avanti's.

Set numerous speed records at Bonneville, had styling years ahead of it's time, factory installed S/W gauges and one of the first American cars to have disc front brakes.

20. RadirWheelsGuy

RadirWheelsGuy

Another vote for the Gremlin x v8 3 speed!

21. They handled great compared to what else was offered then.

Speaking of not being killed, how about the 401-390 V8 Gremlins and Hornets, the AMC bottom ends were bulletproof, the cars were relatively lightweight.

22. Retrorod

Retrorod

My wife is still pissed about me selling our 1962 Corvair Spyder. That llttle car was great, fun to drive. Once you changed to the three speed shifter (shortens the throw) and put some low profile tires on it with good Koni or KYB adjustable shocks.......it would run with any of the "sports cars" of the day.But of course I ALWAYS hear "...is that a 1932?" when non-rodder types see my 1935 sedan for the first time. Maybe that isn't under-rated.....they are just confused.

23. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Studebaker 50/51 and 53/55 ,still looks super.
    The Bat

24. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Dad hauled a 48 Studebaker Champion home last week and I'm still trying to figure out why.

I think it is a goofy looking car. .....especially the front end.

He says he is going to restyle the front fenders using pieces and parts from a 54 Cadillac.

The jury is still out on his vision / dillusions.

25. For you AMC guys.
    This was a great car. It was one of the SCHELL 4000 ralley cars and was sold to my friend Vern Christy from the AMC factory. We were working at an AMC dealer. Since the car was already well prepped we removed the ralley stuff and used it for K/S drag racing. It was a 290 cu in 4 bbl , 4 speed, posi. Car came with the roll bar installed. It is one of the most underated because that is a 283HP 283 Canadian Pontiac (Can Pontiacs had Chevy drivetrains back then) in the other lane and he had more than his hands full.
    PIC Cayuga Ont 1968

Attached Files:

26. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

61-63 tempest, Corvairs, Edsels, especially Hudsons handing Ford and Chevy their asses in NASCAR in the early 50's. I also like the A-100 and the early Darts and Barracudas. Good handeling and light.

27. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

put up another vote for the avanti. beautiful design inside and out, v8 engine (available with a supercharger). a beautiful car in my opinion.

28. Ghostrdr

Ghostrdr
    from Missouri

Oh geez there are tons of them. the lines of a prewar Nash coupe are cool. The 1950+ Desotos are cheap alternatives to DCP, and the later ones had Hemi's, albeit Desoto specific hemi's. The Rope drive Tempest's, especially the last ones were pretty cool. Scout 2's still get no respect, even theones that are not rusted to the ground, yet they still are one of the best 4X4 trucks on the road. The AMC Javelin SST 1968-1970 is a much more useable and just as fast piece of machinery as any AMX. The Dodge Conquest Turbo was nearly as fun as those GLH shelby's and the engine faced the right way nad the correct wheels spun. Anybody remember the Opel GT? the 1989 Pontiac TTA, was and still is basically forgotten while the Grand National is given god status. How about the Pontiac Can-Am from 1976, not especiually fast but full size speed boat, it is. Laguna S3G form the seventies was arguably one of the best designs of the seventies, I think you could even get a BBC up until 1975. wanna get real old and rare, look up a Wills Sainte Claire V-8 from the 1920's.

29. Doug F.

Doug F.

Tell him: my father had a 48 Champion convertible way back in about 52 or so. He put a later Studey V-8 in it and did some minor custom touches, tailights, etc. I think it was his life-long favorite. He still talks about it!

30. Lil John

Lil John

Your Jelous...I have a Frazer :D and all you have is that steel 34 five window:rolleyes: ...