Register now to get rid of these ads!

Surfboard for my wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 71buickfreak, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

I spent 14 hours yesterday at my buddy Scotty Mccubbin's shop airbrushing a 6.5' sport board to match my '63 Buick wagon, Buttered Toast. I was doing the photos, Scotty rocked the airbrush. This guy is truly an artist. What do you think?

Godspeed Collision and Customs, Edmond, OK - 405-760-6140

Attached Files:

2. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

For reference, here is Buttered Toast-

Attached Files:

3. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

4. 3spd

3spd

Likin' the wagon.

Wouldn't think there would be much good surfing in Oklahoma though...

5. You need some "long boards" (9+ feet) for that "long roof"!

That's what we surfed on in the early '60s.

6. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

That's why I drove to LA to find surf board! With twin turbos, I can surf the back roads as much as I want....

7. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

I was looking, I coudn't one for a reasonable price. I did buy a soft-top board, which is like 8 foot, but I wanted to paint the nicer "real" board for this project.

8. Always thought it was kinda like a poser thing if someone had a surfboard on a wagon just to gook it up. To each their own I guess. Makes sense if your on the California coast and actually know how to surf.

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ditto! Spent most of my teenage and twenty something years driving almost every weekend to the coast to get in the water... always took the rack off the car during the week to keep pure...

10. Hell I live in West Virginia, most hillbillies here don't even know what a surfboard is but I still want one for my rooftop ('51 Ford sedan) :cool:. I did surf on the east coast and Australia about a 100 years ago, I think the Duke was surfing Hawaii back when I trolled for sharks :eek:.

11. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

I think surf can be considered a style, sort of like having a 60's style Bellflower Custom. You don't have to live in a certain area, maybe you just like the vibe.

12. I live in the desert. I think I'll mount a toboggin on my RPU. I just like the vibe. Please.

13. outlaw256

outlaw256

i live in the rural south. im gonna mount a still on top of my wagon.lol. the man can push that airbrush damn good.

14. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

Oh sorry, I thought hot rodding was about freedom of expression. Maybe there is a guide you can post so the rest of us can follow it, so as to avoid doing anything wrong.

15. Special Ed

Special Ed

16. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I never have tried surfing but I did run one on my 61' Lakewood Corvair wagon and it was a blast. I live on Lake Michigan so I guess I could surf, you just need a really good wetsuit because our "big" waves are very late fall. The tourist that visit must asume we surf the lake because they would all ask about it when they seen the wagon. I would like another one for my current cars. We take them to the beach a lot and it just looks right!
    I agree it is a style thing and I'll be waiting for curbspeed's guide so i don't mess up any of my cars!

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

bingo...

yep...

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

It's not a matter of right or wrong, it's perception. You would almost have to be a part of or aquainted with West coast and Hawian surf culture to understand why it's not right in some eyes. Back in the eighties we went through a similar fad with the V.W. thing that I was refering to above where every body that was cool in Phoenix had to have a surf rack on thier car. I actually did surf almost weekly so to not look like a kook that didn't surf, my rack that was used every weekend was removed before (or if) I showed at school on Monday. By playing surf guy in the midwest, your stepping on somebody else's lifestyle in the West... No big foul, but might still get you smacked around a bit in Huntington beach if your not careful. Oh, Curbspeed - I'll do the toboggin if you do! Minnesota dreaming?!?!?

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do your own ting, by-all-means, man. I am just not too hot on coping a look of a culture that you are not involved with. It is up there with dressing like a gang member and flashing gang signs, when you are not in a gang.

Maybe the water from the Pacific, from this morning's ride, that I can't seem to get out of my left ear is just making me cranky.

20. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Well since I would hate to steal from someone else's culture I better put a corn husker on my wagon! Geez.....Isn't traditional rods stealing from someone else's culture? I mean, if we were only concerned about functionality wouldn't we all be gold chainers? Guess I could be confused but somehow making a car look like it just came from the beach, is not anything like wearring "board shorts", no shoes or shirt and calling everyone "Dude". Just because someone's car looks like a surf mobile doesn't mean the owner is trying to "fake" being a surfer!

21. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Hey growing up we use to surf in irrigation ditches in the central valley of California. The surfboard art is killer.

22. greazy john

greazy john

hey we surf here in TENN .......... when the rains come we get big white water ,we surf in kayaks

23. slefain

slefain
    from Atlanta

24. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Amen to that

25. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

26. firingorder1

firingorder1

Put the board on the roof and flip off anyone who questions it. Anymore it doesn't matter. When I was a child hot rods were built to race. Today it appears they are built to pose. Complete with rules that determine whether its period correct or not. When it comes to the board, sure, Kansas isn't a state you associate with surfing. But its your car and board so screw'em.

27. ...excellent post firingorder1....like Rick Nelson said, "ya cant please everyone, so ya gotta please yourself"....

28. rick finch

rick finch

29. Special Ed

Special Ed

Alright....if we're gonna quote others, check this out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLEjr4eg8rA&feature=related

Charlie didn't understand, and obviously neither will many of you...:cool:

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.