Register now to get rid of these ads!

Surfacer question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spitfire1776, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Need to know what kind of reducer to use with Evercoat Dura-Build. Anybody know?

I looked around but couldn't find any info. And the reason I'm going with Dura-Build is cost is an issue right now, so I'm not looking for alternatives, unless their just as good and just as inexpensive.

Thanks.

2. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like acrylic lacquer surfacer so lacquer thinner would do the trick, fast for small areas and medium grade for larger areas. This may not be a good choice for most of todays newer topcoat finish systems/paints. It is an air dry single stage surfacer. Solvents from the topcoats will soak into this primer. Before you go with this primer, check and see what is reccommended under the paint you want to use.

With all the good 2 part primers available this is on the lower quality/reliability side of primers. There are some good 2 part primers for a little more money. Check out other the Evercoat primers and maybe Transtar products.

overspray

3. Brickster

Brickster

Take a look at Onmi primer MP182
    it's about $32 dollars a gallon and the hardener is around $20
    Also it's Urathane product so you get all those advantages.
    It's not the best but I would say it's very good for the cost

4. krooser

krooser

5. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Yeah I really wanted to originally go with 2 part better primer. But I need to get the car done for our wedding in a little over two weeks. I figured using this and a basic enamel will work good enough, and then later I'll go back and redo the paint. I don't really mind the extra work, and wedding expenses are limiting options. Plus I'm painting in an old barn, which makes working with more complex paint systems a little more tempermental than I need right now.

I appreciate the added input all the same. Thanks.