Register now to get rid of these ads!

Surf City, USA (Huntington Beach, CA) car show Saturday March 24, 2012

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toml24, Mar 25, 2012.

1. toml24

toml24

There was a fine car show along Main Street and the Pier at Surf City, USA (Huntington Beach, CA) on Saturday March 25, 2012. Enjoy the visit! More photos to follow.

Attached Files:

2. toml24

toml24

More photos

Attached Files:

3. toml24

toml24

Still more photos

Attached Files:

4. Bucknsac

Bucknsac

Looks like fun, thanks for sharing!!

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Big files , my computor farted and burped at the same time when I double clicked .... dang I love real woodies. Thanks for the pics

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Bitchin' - Very Cool. them woodies are pretty and so is the price for one too.

7. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I was at Huntington Beach a few years ago on holidays. Great place! I wish I was there for that car show. California dreaming...
    Thanks for posting.

8. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I know its OT, but do you have any pics of the VW Micro Bus? Looks good.

Attached Files:

9. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

I was born in Long Beach and grew up in SoCal, (Huntington Beach, Garden Grove, Santa Ana, Westminster), spent lots of summers @ the Golden Bear and Taco Bell and Huntington and Newport and Balboa piers and jetties, and the Reuben E Lee. I remember back when they landed the log size barracudas and 4-5 lb Bonita off Huntington Pier.
    I have come to love the woodies, I remember building a model of one so long ago. Thanks for sharing and bringing me a flood of memories.

10. dawford

dawford

I also grew up in Long Beach, Ca. and had some friends that were surfers.

One had an early Woodie and later became famous building surf boards.

I cannot for the life of me recall his name as he was really just a peripheral friend not one that I really ran around with.

I do think that the surfer influence has made me always want a Woodie even though I always had a job from the time I was 12 years old and I thought most of the surfers were just rich kid beach bums.

Maybe some envy involved coming from a middle class working family.

Anyway I now have a 1931 Model A Ford Woodie made out of a U.S. Post office truck with the green Paint stripped and the top lowered.

My Father sailed on the Reuben E. Lee back in 1936 when it was a sea going ship going to Alaska where he found work during the Depression.

He liked to have dinner on that ship when it was a restaurant.

I did some research in the Reuben E. Lee restaurant and found out that it was not the original ship that he took to Alaska and I might have mixed up memories as to what he told me more than 40 years ago.

It turns out that the restaurant was built on a barge made to look like a riverboat.

Thanks for mentioning the Reuben E. Lee as it stimulated my memories to look up the name of the ship that my father took to and from Alaska so long ago.

It turns out that it was the Princess Louise out of Seattle.

Funny how a thread about Woodies would jar an old mans memories about his father.

Thanks again.

Dick :) :) :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012