Register now to get rid of these ads!

Surf Board Rack Pics 55-57 GM Wagons

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pontiacres Ranch, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

So Kulturepimp has me convinced that you can surf 2 foot waves on Lake Michigan. Thats only a 30 min drive for me. Ive got the glass work done on the beater long board that I used to toss in the back of the 56 for kicks. Since I have 4 kids and a wife, Im gonna need to find or build a roof rack as the back of the wagon will be filled with sandy little kids, coolers, and beach toys. Anybody have pics of portable roof racks or surf board racks on 55-57 Gm Wagons?

Thanks

Ed

2. Look on the auction sites for a set of old Aloha surf racks. That's what we used when I was growing up in Newport in the 70's. They clamp to the rain gutters and are adjustable for just about all cars that have gutters.

3. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

4. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

thanks guys, brains slow this am. I saw a cool home made one on a 58 at the Adams Mark in Indy, didnt have a camera though.

5. repoguy

repoguy

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Well, my Tin Woody is a '51, but I used a roof rack from a '55 Safari, and it looks pretty cool, in my humble opinion. I know the clamp on jobs were popular, but I couldn't bring myself to hang them on the car.

I don't have surfboard, but an old wood slalom ski looks OK up there with our '54 Chris Craft on the hitch!

Brian

Attached Files:

7. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

No one ever said we were "Right" around here swiming in April on Spring Break!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YunBW7ELDzo&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YunBW7ELDzo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.thirdcoastsurfshop.com/

8. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

cool Brian! I cant be drillin my nice roof though!

9. 31whitey

31whitey

ya gotta want it man

period

hard core

one of the last great undiscovered spots

10. monsterflake

monsterflake

i have three sets of roof rail clamp-ons. they have mahogony or teak boards and suction cups that rest on the roof, practically oozing patina.

let me find you an example...

11. repoguy

repoguy

Racks? We don't need no stinking racks!!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  12. monsterflake

monsterflake

13. monsterflake

monsterflake

14. T-Roy

T-Roy

I need a rack for my car too. Thanks for posting this thread.

15. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

pics kind of blurry, dang old digital camera. If it were just me Id toss the board in the back, like I do when I go drivin around, or down to Good Guys. Thing is, If Im goin to the beach, theres no way in hell Ill be able to go solo. With the seat down, the board touches the front seat, and hangs out past the lift gate. 9 ft Robert August Board.

Attached Files:

16. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Totally. Better buy a wet suit AND a dry suit for the really good waves. I have the board, but I'm ashamed to say I've never taken it out there. Plus the good waves are so sporadic too. You have to want it.

17. I hope that suit is a 6/4, mil. that is.

18. Here's my setup;a gift from an old friend.Have no idea who made them but they work.Used a piece of 1" i.d. clear tubing over the bar to cushion the board.The skis are an old pair of Cypress Gardens units.

Attached Files:

19. photofink

photofink

Wow...I had no idea those aloha racks were worth so much. I have a couple of sets that are in great condition and one set still on my ex-daily driver...but me no sellie

20. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

thanks for teasin us Photo! :)~

21. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Last nights surf....not bad for a lake.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Monster Flake set me up with this groovy rack, the local stores and trailer supply places dont have the rubber cups. Well....I did find them in black, but want the gray so they look better on my white roof. A guy on the thirdcoastsurfshop.com forum set me up with the webbing and correct buckles. Anyone know a source?

Thanks

Ed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

24. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Thanks Man!That was fast! Third Coast is having a Luau in a few weeks, I was wanting to shoot over there with the new rack on the wagon. Ill have that rack fixed up in a jiffy now.