Register now to get rid of these ads!

Superior/Caddy home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dummy, Jan 11, 2007.

1. dummy

dummy
    from So. Cal

Thanks all for the help. Just dragged this home about 10 hours ago. The coil was swapped to 12V at some point and it looks like a different regulator installed, but it's still a generator. The fuel pump is siezed, but it's an aftermarket electric anyway, so it's gonzo once I get a stock one. After trying to show some restraint I said fuck it and fired it up on ether. Engine comes to life quick and sounds good. Brakes and steering are nice and the 3-speed shifts like butter. Once I aired up the tires and broke it loose from its moorings it actually rolled easily with only me pushing.

Sucker is fairly long. No good for the trailer jack but I had to lift the tongue a bit to keep it from high centering when loading. Wound up with 1/4-inch between the rails and trailer deck.

Needs front floor pans but otherwise rockers, fenders, etc. solid with the exception of some surface rust around the trim. There's a bastardization of 12V and 6V parts - some 12V and 6V flashers under the dash, I haven't figure the siren out or found the power for the Lorraine 32 spot but the red beacon flashes, the tail and running lights work but not the headlights, etc. I'll poke around with it when I've got more time. I'm thinking it would look pretty cool with a 5-inch chop but I don't have the skills to pull it off.

Until then, anybody know a good place to pick up a glass bowl fuel pump for the Caddy 331? I'm a newb with these old Caddy drivetrains, so expect some bugging for info in the coming weeks.

Attached Files:

2. murdercycles

murdercycles

You are a sick man. That thing is beautiful. Ebay has pumps and maybe Arizona Vintage. http://www.azvintageparts.com/ Just be careful, he shafted us on shipping charges on a Caddy gas tank.
    Ray

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Fuel pump rebuild kits

Try these people for a rebuild kit. Even an NOS fuel pump from the 50's may develop problems with the diaphragm from the modern fuel we get today. It's really not difficult to overhaul one with the right parts and diagrams.

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

before ya go ordering parts from yee bay or outa state, check
    with your local NAPA auto. My local guy has found a bunch of
    old, weird items: automotive & tractor parts.

Swankey Devils C.C.

5. Now THAT, is cool. :eek:

And like said, check with NAPA, they have really suprised more than once.

6. old beet

old beet

Bad Ass Cad!............OLDBEET

7. Abomination

Abomination

I've had a '55, a '56, and two '70s. Best damned cars, ever! The Series 75 Commercial Chassis rules.

~Jason

8. lewislynn

lewislynn

I buy a lot of stock parts for my 56 F100 from Kragen...Fuel pump, carb., motor mounts to name a few. If you buy from Kragen do it online or get the online price, I've never found anyone sell for less.

9. Hey, I have one of those. Its an old US Navy ambulance. I wish it still had the lights on it..

10. What gas crisis???

Great find !

"...I always wanted me one that was long and black..."

11. Abomination

Abomination

Kanter has fuel pumps for $126 ($75 deposit):
    http://www.kanter.com/p13-fp.html#CADILLAC

Here's an eBay one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1954...019QQitemZ290069134585QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I figured I'd chip in and help find you one.

By the way, according to: http://www.angelfire.com/zine/TheHearseEnthusiast/network.html

"Rare 1951 Cadillac Superior Hearse for sale

Rare 1951's Cadillac Superior Hearse for sale. Only 3 other hearses of this year exist today. Currently own 50's and 51' Cadillac hearse that have been totally restored for company promotional use. It has taken our company over 9 long years to scower the US and Canada for these three rare cars. We were going to use this 3rd hearse for company promotions but have run out of time to complete a full of restoration on this car and will move forward with the 2 finished cars instead of 3. We are only asking what we paid for this rare car as documented on company books. If you are interested in this rare, amazing looking hearse send us an e-mail and we will forward on some picks. Email: [email protected]. (11/11/06)."

~Jason

12. Shagrat

Shagrat

Hey, nice find!
    You might want to join the guys on the PCS message board:
    http://www.professionalcar.org/forums/index.php
    One thing you should know. These guys are restoration oriented and will try their damnedest to talk you out of any customizing.
    That said, they have a great classifieds section and are very good about helping locate hard to find parts. Just don't mention the 5" chop and you'll be fine.

13. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Early caddys are the best! Lucky you with your factory 3 speed;)
    Just making sure...that one's got a 4 barrell intake, right?

I was hanging out at a local burger joint about a year ago and a chick rolled up in a caddy hearse....It was very cool and I had to see what her story was. When I started talking to her, she said she was going to turn it into a "goth-mobile". I wasn't so excited about it and tried to talk her out of it.:(

That would be a really hard chop. If you hot rod it, are you gonna keep the ambulance theme going? Just curious.
    JOYO

14. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Consider a new 12v electric pump. The earlier 331s tend to vapor lock in hot weather due to stock pump location. You need a '53 parts car - it'll give provide a lot of stuff such as dual exhaust, a 4bbl intake, & everything needed to do the 12v conversion correctly

15. Abomination

Abomination

They kept that Factory 3-speed around until either '54 or '57 or so.

I wouldn't chop this one. Part of the character of old Series 75 Commercial Chassis is the 3" - 4" raised roof. If you chopped it, the only benefit would be that you could use stock Fleetwood doors & glass. And think of all the cuts that would have to be made... and the weight of that roof.

It's not that I'm a purist, it's just that it would be more trouble than it's worth.

By the way, 302GMC is right - those DID vapor lock in real hot weather, but modern fuels really do cut that down a lot. Still, electric is something to consider, but personally I'd run a return line from the regulator back.

Enjoy it! Before too long you'll be making comments about it being the best car you ever owned, too!! :)

~Jason

16. dummy

dummy
    from So. Cal

Seriously, thanks a ton for all the comments, info, and links. I'm eating it up. I've been bouncing around the internet searching for stuff on the ambulances/hearses and the OHV engine and tranny but good info is few and far between. I appreciate anything I can get, so please keep it coming.

Chop won't happen. Even if I wanted to I couldn't pull it off and make it look good. I'll just make up some new floors and weld 'em in after I get it running. It will definitely keep the ambulance theme with all the lights, gurney, etc but I can't see myself not rodding it a little.

The tires on the driver's side only hold air for an hour or so. I'll probably visit Coker for some WWWs, but it's tempting to go with something like this.

Attached Files:

17. Rocket

Rocket
    from Austin Tx

coopersvintage.com deals in mostly cadillacs and thier parts are the best price you can find. the car looks great.

18. Killer Caddy.I don't know about the Eagles tho.Chalk the lettering out on a roller first.Good luck with it!

19. dummy

dummy
    from So. Cal

Just ran a hose and brush over it. Photos are kinder than in person, but it's not that bad.

Any photochoppers out there want to show me their vision of a H.A.M.B.ulance?

Attached Files:

20. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

with the problems with coker that I've been reading and the weight of that beutimus meatwagon you may want to look at diamondback tires or equivalent....my .02

that said I dig it! I've always loved the hearses/ambulances yet have always been in the wrong place at the wrong time and miss em when they come up...

21. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

I used to have a black 50 Cadillac hearse. For some reason my neighbors all quit speaking to me and didn't come around very often. Come to find out it scared the crap out of them.. having a big hearse in the drive way. I think the fact they were all 70- 80 year olds had something to do with it too... I ended up selling the car to a funeral home in Georgia.

22. Abomination

Abomination

Believe it or not, I ran Coker WWWs on all of my "driver" professional cars (which have all been traded off for one thing or another, the last one I pulled the motor & transmission and gave the rest away for free). I never had one problem!

~Jason

23. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

hehehe H.A.M.B.ulance...:D

24. The siren will operate off the horn button, once a switch is thrown. In other words the horn button operates either the horn, or the siren, not both simultaneously, dependant on the position of the switch. Superior in later years liked to put the switches on a panel in the headliner, else possibly under the dash center.

Keep in mind that this is a Series 75 Commercial Chassis, most regular chassis parts may not fit (again, I'm used to later Series 75s, and almost nothing was the same, including the wheels).
    Some examples: wheels on mine were one step up in guage, and welded, not riveted, centers.
    Leaf springs, when all other Cads were coils.
    Four bearing rear axle, sized basically as a 3/4 ton truck rear.
    Larger brakes, different wheels cylinders, etc.
    Also, all that Cadillac supplied the builders was a cowl-forward body, with dashboard. Bumpers and assorted trim needed to make the finished car look like a Caddy was in boxes on the framerails, as shipped. I've pics around here somewheres, one of the boxes was the seat to move the things around before the body got built.
    Looks like you got a rather complete one, and, once again, I'm jealous.

Cosmo

25. turaboy

turaboy

Don't know about the tire size, but I stuck some cheap Kumho's on my 74 limo. Not much in the style dept, but the are extra load wheels, and I got the whole set for around $200...skinny whitewalls and all.

Might get it on the road sooner...pretty easy to find in SoCal at least.

Very, very sweet ride! You will love it!

26. dummy

dummy
    from So. Cal

Did a little more investigating around the ambulance today and discovered the regulator is a 6V unit, as is the coil, headlights, and enough other stuff to warrant going completely 12V. Elec. fuel pump was also 6V, so the 12V battery that was in the car when I got it probably explains why it was fried and seized up. Hope I didn't fry anything in the ignition giving it a couple quick shots of 12V when I started it.

Pulled the access panels to see what's doing underneath. Found the original drug case that goes behind the driver. The leather handles are still supple. Pretty cool. Passenger compartment held the hood hinge springs, dome light cover, and the old 6V coil, cap, and rotor. Better yet, I've got part numbers for the 6V replacement parts now since the old parts were in the boxes. The big compartment hides the spare and original bumper jack. It's all there and the floors under the back are solid. The spare is actually down on the pass. rear. Though it was funny they included a fifth hubcap.

Time to grab a 6V battery and replace all the toasted bulbs and flashers I can find.

Attached Files:

27. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Great looking Caddy.

Then and now automotive sells fuel pump kits with the correct gaskets and rubber for today's fuel. Quick shipping. Good folk. I've used them a couple of times with pleasure.

28. Abomination

Abomination

Here's a link to 'em:
    http://www.then-now.com/

~Jason

29. cadillac dave

cadillac dave

. I WOULD SUGGEST MICHELIN LIGHT TRUCK TIRE. they can hold the weight. sidewalls wont roll and wear out edges.i run the michelin lt on my 57 cadillac motor home. never had a problem. but other passenger tires i have blown the sidewalls out. good luck cadillac dave