Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Superdual Dilemma

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NoSurf, Aug 30, 2010.

1. NoSurf

NoSurf

A couple weeks ago before the HAMB Drags I was on the cusp of installing my Superdual intake and 97s on my coupe. I didn't want to rush it, so I went with the trusty old single 94 instead (17.4698 @ 74.86).

So last week in the evenings after work I got a few things ironed out like re-doing the vacuum line.

[​IMG]

Now, my issue I have is with the offset generator bracket. It seems the face of the bracket, where the generator mounts to- is too far forward, by about 3/4", from allowing the pulleys to line up. The bracket has "stock 42-48" cast into it on the back.

[​IMG]

Would this bracket I have be for another application? Or is the difference in alignment in tolerance for a 5/8 belt?

Is anyone else running this type of set-up?

Thanks,
    Jay

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Did you happen to snap anything with the generator in place?

edit: "snap anything" meaning "snap a photo"... sorry that was kind of unclear.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  3. NoSurf

NoSurf

No. I didn't. If I have time I can try to take a few tonight though.

4. WOW, Looks great.

Is that the 94 I loaned you 4 years ago?

You should put an alternator on it.

5. NoSurf

NoSurf

Thanks. Sounds great too...

[​IMG]

Yep.

Never.

6. those copper lines look GREAT! Nice work

7. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Great addition.

sounds great? I want video - youtube please.

8. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I cant help with the gen bracket without video of it running. that would help

9. JAWS

JAWS

Ditto to what jeff said.

Need to "see" it in action....

10. alchemy

alchemy

Just put a charger on your battery every night. ;)

I do know there is a difference in the front mount on the intakes between 40's and 46-48's. What year generator do you have?

Maybe a 49-53 generator, with the housing being able to slide back in the yoke, would work? Bet then you'd have a bracket holding a bracket holding the generator. There's gotta be a better way.

11. NoSurf

NoSurf

It's the gennie that came on the motor, a '46/'47 I believe.

[​IMG]

12. JAWS

JAWS

Looks like too much work Jay

Better give it to me so you don't have to suffer.....

13. NoSurf

NoSurf

Here's a pic with the gennie mounted:

[​IMG]

Video is on my phone and I can't seem to fwd or send it anywhere as it's too large (1M). Will try again tonight.

14. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Just a thought. Do you know if your offset bracket is a lefty or a righty? Flathead Jack sells 4 different offset brackets for the superdual intake: left/right horizontal,left/right vertical. They each have different part numbers. I'm sure he could tell you what you need to match things up.If you call him he will answer the phone.

Flathead Jack 1 888 993 2233

15. NoSurf

NoSurf

It's for the right/passenger side.

16. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

I think you have a bracket for an 8 ba engine installed on a 59A engine, you need to swap brackets. The bracket that you have is for the late model engine that has the longer water pump.

17. NoSurf

NoSurf

That's kind of what I think as well. Although the "STOCK 42-48" cast in the bottom of the bracket is throwing me off.

Dick- do you have a measurment for a 59A right side bracket from the mounting face to the first stud hole?

18. NoSurf

NoSurf

Anyone have a right side bracket they can measure for me? I want to make sure before I order one. thanks.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  19. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

All early(59ab) brackets that i have(seen) have 3 mounting holes.
    I think Dick is right.

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Gen is driven by the close in row of pulleys on all early flatheads, and all of those are same distance from engine...manifolds '33-48 vary in height of stud but forward/aft should be the same.
    My measurements put center of pump and sheaves 1 1/2" out from the machined surface of block front, late pulleys ('49 up) out another 1 1/2 on top of that, so yours splits the difference.
    With a stock early manifold, flat plane of gen mount is just a tad behind the plane of the machined surface of block...roughly the ribs beside flat are in that plane, but of course that varies a bit.
    Right and lefts almost always vary in angle of the bracket, but should be identical fore and aft.
    It is hard to truly measure sheave alignment; I think the best way is to get a piece of cheap steel rod from the hardware, probably 3/8 is thick enough to rest on sheaves like belt drive surfaces, and bend it to 90 degrees. Noe one leg can rest in two pulleys and the other leg will ONLY rest properly in a third pulley if it is in alignment with other two.
    Bracket is probably both drilled and milled wrong if 3/4 off...

Some measurement stuff:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35029&highlight=dimensional&showall=1

21. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The only logical solution at this point would be adding a blower and double pulley waterpumps, driving the generator from the outer sheave.

22. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

So ....
    distance from head bolt(most forward) to gen mounting flange is 67mm (Millimeter)
    that is 2.63 inches.
    I measured mine...

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And as KL pointed out, though I have not meaured, double sheave truck pumps ('37-48) would have a sheave pretty close to what you have, though I have not measured those. This is NOT your solution, as it is very unlikely that bracket was made for heavy truck pumps, which are fairly rare now. Don't know of ANY made for those ever, and the double truck ones still have the first sheave in normal place!
    Your problem is simply a badly made bracket if real sheave check shows it to be off by 3/4". If it was only off a bit, you could file holes until the sheave checker tool drops into place.

So...bolt the gen to the bracket and get a real look at problem with 90 degree tool. I hope this is a new part that can go back to its source if it is off by that much.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  24. I can't help but I just wanted to say ............hey

25. NoSurf

NoSurf

Hey man! Keep your head low for Earl.

The bracket I got when I bought the superdual from another HAMBer. He has an identical one that measures the same amount off.

I just want somebody to say "hey- I bought/have pnXXXX and it measures XX" from the mounting surface to the first stud hole". I just want a true measurement before I buy one so I know it's correct and I don't have to do any stupid returns etc.

26. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

get out the die grinder and start oblonging the bolts i say.

Also, try a later as in 52-53 gennie. They have a shorter pully on them .

27. JAWS

JAWS

I have to agree with Kevin.....

28. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

I checked thru some old speed catalogs to see if there were any pictures that would help in the quest for knowledge on this part and found that the closest part to match this piece is a similar bracket in the 1953 Almquist catalog. It lists 4 different brackets R & L for 37-38 21 stud, 39-41, 42-48 and 49-53. Since yours is marked "stock 42-48" it pretty much confirms its an Almquist unit , I have one marked "stock 37-38" that is for 21 stud that looks similar in casting for the driver side and that lines up correctly on an engine. The instructions say they come in 4 different offsets. For what applications I dont have explained, but from measuring some pumps this one just might be for the double pulley pump. So if anyone has a newer Almquist catalog there might be some more info available.

29. Lookin' good Jay!!! Congrats!

30. NoSurf

NoSurf

Thanks Dick!

Yeah, finally huh? Thanks.

It's just money.