Register now to get rid of these ads!

Supercharged Flathead EFI, Megasquirt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flatdog, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Rocco

Rocco

i know bosch had CIS (mechanical fuel injection in the mid 70's on in european stuff and it turned electronic in the mid 80's.) thats about it.

2. 8flat

8flat

warning.....thread hijack in-progress.....

Bruce, it's funny you ask, there was a fascinating article in Hemmings a few months back...might have been the June issue, on an extremely rare Chrysler from the '50s that had that system you're talking about. THe guy found the car on the right coast, and found the EFI unit in someone's attic I think. Cool system, but they had a hell of a time making it work again. Anway, it's a good read.

Gary

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Just pointing out that EFI isn't entirely new...don't wanna hijack this, I want to see the results when it's all together! This was a 12 second '34 Ford before all these developements...and the learning curve is rapidly accelerating.
    Interesting what you can do messing with this obsolete junk, but I keep telling Flatdog he should just swap in a 350 so he can run easy 15's like the other streetrod '34's...:)

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Bruce, Chrysler put Bendix EFI on just a very few 1958 cars. They were all recalled and re-fitted with carbeuretors. The story goes that one of these cars (a DeSoto) was found, and the new owner realized it was an EFI car. There are several tell-tale signs. Anyway, he contacted the family of a Chrysler rep involved in the project, and apparently there was a DeSoto EFI sitting in his attic. He worked to restore it and got it running. I'm sure it runs just as poorly now as it did then, if not worse. The EMI from stop lights caused the EFI to go haywire in 1958; I'm sure there is much more interference today.

But it is neat. :) And my GOSH it is a beautiful car.

The Electrojector story:
    http://www.allpar.com/cars/desoto/electrojector.html

The car:
    http://www.chrysler300club.com/jhstuff/fuelie/fuelie.html

5. 8flat

8flat

Yep, that's the same car and basically the same article that was in Hemmings. It sounds like he made it work a little better than original.....

6. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Damn Bruce you're right again as usual. Try this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_V8_engine

It says:

The AMC 327 was similar to the 287, but displaced 327 in³ (5.4 L) due to the bore increase to 4.0". Unlike the 250, the 327 came with hydraulic valve lifters.
    This engine debuted in a special edition Rambler Rebel of which only 1500 were made. All had silver paint with a gold annodized "spear" down each side. This was to be the first electronic fuel injected production engine, but teething problems with the Bendix "Electrojector" unit meant that only a few engineering and press cars were built, estimated to be no more than six units, but at least two were known to have been built. One was sent to Daytona Beach for "Speed Week". It was the second fastest car on the beach, bested only by a 57 Corvette with mechanical fuel injection, and only by a couple tenths of a second. The EFI 327 was rated at 288 hp, the production 4V carbureted model at 255 hp. All the EFI cars were reportedly converted to 4V carb before being sold — none are known to have existed outside the engineering department at AMC. The main problem was that vacuum tube and early transistor electronics just couldn't keep up with the demands of "on the fly" engine controls.
    The 327 was not available in any other Rambler models in 1957, just the Special Edition Rebel. The Ambassador and Hornet "Special" cars were dropped after 1956, replaced by standard wheelbase models with the 327 instead of 250 V-8. When the big Nash and Hudson cars were dropped they were replaced by the 1958 "Ambassador by Rambler" — a stretched Rebel (Rambler V-8) with the 327 V-8 instead of the 250. The 327 was exclusive to the Ambassador line, and couldn't be ordered in a Rebel or Classic.

How many of you guys would like to have a brain the size of Bruce's?????

7. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I've been look a Megasquirt, and the way I read it I needed a TPS. Can you explain to someone(me) that knows little about FI, how this would work, and could it be done with the Megasquirt?

8. matt 3083

matt 3083
    from Tucson, Az

This is a really nice build. Not too many people would
    even try a EFI build. To see someone do it and make
    it work, well my hat is off to them. Congratulations and
    please keep us informed on any changes or updates.
    Matt

9. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

They are using a map sensor or manifold air pressure sensor to get similar readings as a tps. There will always be a predictable amount of air pressure at every throttle position. Just a different way of going about the same thing.

10. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thanks Red Baron.

Zach, how about some updates and pics.

When you bought the Megasquirt, did they provide any info, or starting points as referance, or did you have to program everything?

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Buddy- here is one for you to look at.

Attached Files:

12. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Rich, that is wicked!

Who did the fi and intake?

13. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Damn I miss Flatdog.

14. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Is he no longer on the board?

15. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

16. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  17. sloorider

sloorider

Let us consider this tread closed out of respect..