Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods supercharged banger modified...now has a V8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clark, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Very cool! You and thisbuild make me miss my old banger!

Sent via carrier pidgeon & smoke signals with the HAMB App

2. Clark

Clark

More Ford parts being misused and abused....this time a 32 spare tire mount. Nobody wants them! Cut it up and make a Trans mount. will have finished pics tomorrow.
    Clark
    20140916_160021.jpg 20140916_170408.jpg

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Looks like you've done it again @Clark !

4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I didn't know Ford parts could be misused but then the only Ford I own is a tractor. GM didn't make 'em and the Gravelys that Studebaker made you had to walk behind.:rolleyes:

Clark likes this.
  5. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Boy, am I glad I stumbled onto this thread. My son picked up an Essex cowl this summer with intent to start a modified. He will love this ! So many great details but still looks clean. Thanks for sharing.

6. Clark

Clark

20140921_182542.jpg

Five says till Pimlico....then off to race
    Clark

7. Clark

Clark

10410853_716344425105770_339366258393042805_n.jpg

Well the supercharger worked! I didn't realize until I was in Wildwood that a standard A or B motor is 200 cubic inches......and I only had 118. I had almost half the cubic inches! Well I didn't do too bad. I ran about 10 times. I think I won 4 times. Not bad for a bone stock motor half the size of the competition.

My first race I shifted way too soon and the car bogged when I shifted. the second race I held my shift a lot longer. The motor is supposed to flatten out or loose power above 3,ooo rpm......I swear I had it up over 4,ooo and she was pulling hard. I was shifting out of first just past half track.

Now I did have a few problems.....when I first fired the motor I had too much oil pressure to the blower and it overflowed with oil. Easy fix was to restrict the oil going to the supercharger. second problem was the magneto. It didn't have enough advance. I had to manually retard the mag to get it to start then advance it once it fired up.

I'm real happy with the supercharger , power and looks are great!
    Clark

8. Wow.
    Give the man a cigar. I see that it is really hard to keep your race face on when you are grinning from ear to ear. What a fun project. I love the photo!
    don

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

keep in mind that the charger was designed for a 217 in 6 cyl.
    Way to go Clark !
    Glad it worked well.

10. bitchen photo of you ripping down the beach

11. Clark

Clark

Grahamsc.....it's also under driven a little.
    studog.....I gotta try and find who took the pic. they deserve credit.
    Clark

12. You've inspired me Clark- SOMEday I will find one of those superchargers for my Chevy :D

Clark likes this.
  13. ken1939

ken1939

Where is the Youtube video so we can hear it? :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. banjorear

banjorear

Clark:

I saw your car at Hershey. Didn't realize you ran TROG too. Bitchin' car.

Clark likes this.
  15. Mac, There at least two superchargers on evil-bay right now......

16. Clark

Clark

There was at least two of the superchargers at Hershey.....both way overpriced
    Clark

17. Clark

Clark

There's two videos on my Facebook page but can't figure out how to post them here.
    Clark Bates

18. ,,Just went thru' this thread,,cool as hell,,a lot of real ingenuity and craft,,,:)

19. Thanks for the heads up Rick- wish I could, but with Mrs. Yankee student teaching and my 3 Runner on it's last legs, the "future daily driver" gets the pennies I can squeeze together these days :)

Still kickin' myself for missing one a few years back at $300...

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Ha ha ha crazy man crazy

Remember what I said about the old long stroke flatheads having the low speed punch, with the centrifugal supercharger giving it the high revving power? Now you know the feeling of a flathead banger that pulls like mad all thru the rev range.

Would be interesting to know how much pressure you developed at various RPMs.

On the oil restriction.... a carb jet is a handy thing to use for a restriction. But, you should always use an oversize one and put a jiggling pin thru it. Otherwise it is a natural to plug up with dirt or sludge. Any spec of dirt can do it, the jiggling pin prevents this from happening. A small cotter pin works well for this.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    loudbang likes this.
  21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

For you supercharger fans.... you don't have to dig up a 75 year old Graham supercharger, or a 50 year old McCulloch. Or even shell out for a new Paxton.

You can buy a junkyard turbo off a diesel truck and use just the blower part to make your own belt drive supercharger.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    volvobrynk, wingnutz and kiwijeff like this.
  22. Not if you want to run the TRoG :D

Outback likes this.
  23. Clark

Clark

20141101_161303.jpg
    We'll the magneto had to go. It didn't have any advance in it and the car was very hard to start.

I found a Mallory marine distributor that I adapted to the magnetos angle drive.....not as cool but works great
    Clark

24. flyin-t

flyin-t

Why not? I'm just curious and couldn't find any rules on the TRoG web site. I did see a flattie with a 4-71 blower on the web site (don't know if this setup was allowed to run on the sand?) so I'm guessing it can't be a pre war rule since a 4-71 isn't.

Cool build Clark.

25. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Rusty;
    Been reading Dick Datson lately ( or at least awhile ago)? ... :D .
    W/the right turbo, hand cut Al sheeting for fins, & those odd Al-"soldering"-sticks, you could create something real close to an old Miller-style blower, at least in looks. Performance should be a lot better. I missed out on a turbo like that (from a V-12 diesel, IIRC) a couple of years ago, when it & others were trashed(stolen) from a shop a friend worked at - who had permission to take them just for me. <shrug>, oh well, haven't found anything like it since. Maybe someday, again. :) .

Clark, I'm real glad it worked out for you. It looks just 'right'. :) . Bet it sounds even better... :D .
    Marcus...

26. flyin-t,

Thought I read somewhere that all parts needed to be pre '53 or '54... if I'm wrong that opens up a WORLD of possibilities :)

Marcus,

Would love to see the info on that Miller-style blower build :D

27. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Mac;
    Yup, me too... :D . 'Would' being the operative word here... ;( . W/o the correct large-dia turbo compressor housing, it wouldn't look right. & being belt-driven, the large dia would help tip-speed vs rpm. While the new design turbos are fabulous, mostly due to compressor impeller design, they are also a lot smaller & spin a whole lot faster, so's the step-up for rpm can get to be an issue. Dick did quite a bit of research, & I chased down some info also, but it still ends up not being practical for anything over 3liters, & the smaller engine, the better - to a point. Flatheads respond well. There is a Yahoo group that covers this, or did, & a book was also out, now out of print. Would be a great project for one of your planned speedsters. I was wanting to do one, but since I like the Stude champ-6, it becomes neither fish nor fowl, due to being not a banger, nor a v-8. Made since '39 doesn't really count, & used in a few small sprint cars doesn't either, I guess. Still... :D .
    Marcus...

28. Hey Clark... I'll be forwarding this thread to Zenor since he has a Graham Super charger he's planning on putting on his 29 A Roadster... hope you don't object!

Clark likes this.
  29. flyin-t

flyin-t

Thanks. I was assuming, and that's always a stretch, that it was pre WWII until I saw that blower. At any rate, I'd sure like to make the event next year. Be a great event to do here in So Cal, Pismo Beach would be a natural.

30. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I read Dick Datson's site a long time ago and thought he was onto something. Now I can't seem to find it, I was looking to link it up but the sites seem to have disappeared.

Have grown to be a fan of the centrifugal blowers like V57 especially for old "nostalgia" motors where hop up parts are rare or non existant. You can get the same HP boost from a blower, without lousing up idle and low speed performance and you only need to install the blower and possibly dual exhaust.