Register now to get rid of these ads!

Superbell broken axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the mercury kid, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott

Scott

the steering arms look like speedway, I had the same setup on my A pickup( with a 4 bar.) As probably thousands of others on this board. that was about 6 or 7 years ago.
    the next owner has driven it extensively. I wonder if it could be a recent "batch".

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

So far none of his pics are precise enough. If he sends me a good pic, I'll post it.

3. A lot of you guys were not around when the original Superbell had breaking problems with the tube axles. Turned out to be a group of axles welded by the same guy and they corrected the problem by drilling and plug welding in a couple spots. Now they make ductile iron and aluminum axles....No thanks.....

Atwater Mike likes this.
  4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Post #20, far right pic isn't clear enough? Send me your E-Mail addy and I will send you a very clear Logo on that Axle and no I have not seen one pic of the Logo and the break all in one pic yet. With a little help I am sure he could produce it.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No logo in those pics. PM sent.

If you don't have a pic of the logo with the break, don't bother.

6. That was a "Magnum", also from Speedway.

7. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Squint a little, pic sent with SB Logo visible threw the grill ON the broken axle.

8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The picture on the left in the post quoted above has a fairly clear picture of the logo through the grill if you magnify the picture. I doubt that the axle was changed before the wrecked picture. It's going to be difficult to get a picture of both the end and the middle of the axle. Maybe a video would convince the skeptics.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I loaded that pic in my "pictures" file and blew it up. Honestly, it doesn't look like a logo. I guess we'll have to wait for him to tear it down.

And the pics you sent are the ones already posted.

10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Send the first Video to treverfred!

I sent those in hopes you would magnify them as some have already done and see what we see........................

11. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

I'm kind of siding with JEEM on this thread. Something seems fishey in Denmark. MERCURYKID comes on strong with these accusations, has been asked to post close up photos, and in 7 pages long of this thread, has never been heard from again. What gives?? I think JUDGE JUDY would throw this case out the window

12. henry29

henry29

The axle broke on the outside of the mount, so I can't see how it could be because of the way it was mounted.
    The pic from the front of the car shows the Superbell logo very clear.

If he had hit something hard enough to break that axle I would think the frame or the right front wheel would be bent.

I don't see any reason to doubt what he said.

13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Judge Judy isn't running a Super Bell, she could care less!

Better pic to blow up?
    [​IMG]

14. henry29

henry29

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's not about people being skeptics, it's about backing up a claim. If my axle was broken, I wouldn't bother with a before pic. I'd post the entire broken pieces, especially if I was claiming a defect from the manufacturer. That's what SB is going to want to see.

Personally, I could care less, my SB has worked fine and I have hit some crazy shit while driving around. But if a claim against a company is going to be made against someone, then CLEAR proof needs to be shown.

The people using these axles deserve at least that much. Then, they can choose what path they decide to follow.

If it was MY axle, I'd have clear pics to send to SB or Speedway. I'd do that before I even posted here about it. And when I posted, I'd post what happened and the out come.

If the OP follows through with any type of claim, he's going to have to do it properly. Thier attorneys are not going to squint, in order to see if thier product is defective.

16. bonesy

bonesy

I kept looking at the axle in the pictures. I finally looked up and noticed his windshield. Poor guy looks to have kissed it pretty good. Ouch.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Dude, you don't have to send me anything.:D But if a "broken" pic is sent to Superbell, it better be clear. That's all I was trying to say. I'm not doubting the guy had a Superbell, I'm trying to get him to take a GOOD, CLEAR, WITHOUT A DOUBT pic. I thought I was making that clear. Guess not.

It happens here quite a few times. Someone has a problem or situation and doesn't describe it enough or post pics that are hard to figure out. In order for people to help or back someone up, they need a clear pic of what's going on.

18. F&J

F&J

I can't see why the OP is being questioned as to motive? Member since 07 with only 107 posts.

I would think he does not post unless it was something important to him. You guys that are very well known on the hamb, would you probably go ballistic if this happened to your new build? ...and would anyone doubt a popular hamber?

19. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

"I'm not doubting the guy had a Superbell"
    Dude, I'll take that as you see the light now!

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Uhhh... exactly... and what's wrong with that?

My thoughts:

1. I've seen some Super Bell axles do some crazy shit without breaking.

2. I've been running the forum for over 17 years and off the top of my head, I can't think of a single complaint about one breaking other than this thread.

3. Speedway... I don't shop there unless I have to. I feel like they milk the industry by taking ideas and running with them to China... I'm writing an article about two really bad cases of this that hit close to home.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

What I don't see is a FULL pic of the broken axle. As I stated further back, maybe he'll post them when he gets the car torn down. Something I would have done in the first post.

22. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Sorry, but I dont really have much info on this one, all I know is it was under a car in the CC a buddy belongs to and it broke, caused a wreck, and now it resides on the wall of shame...It is a superbell though, but for all I know it could have been bought from Tommy Chong....Jim

Attached Files:

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Broke where it was drilled. Ouch.

24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

25. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

Ill throw in my 2 cents...

Doesn't seem to matter who the hell made the damb thing.. its a matter of who should stand up and make it right.. So you lose a buck or two.. even if the guy installed it up side down and backwards.. I'm thinking both these companies are losing business and reputation by not taking care of their customers and letting a thread like this happen...

Back when I was a kid working stock and receiving for Mervyns.. I could never understand why they would take a thing back like a sweaty sweat suit a 250 lb. "stinky" woman.. let's try this again.. "unbelievably stinky" woman .. had really tried out.. no questions asked.. Same with stuff that we thought was stolen or came from another store.. But a change of ownership and customer service.. guess what.. no more Mervyns after 60 years and 190 stores ....

Seems to come back to everything is somebody else's fault.. I got mine ...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  26. Everyone imagine that is YOUR car,
    with the smashed windshield and broken axle.

Why did it happen ?
    Why won't it happen to someone else ?

How long before someone gets killed ?

27. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Product Description

The Super Bell Axle Company's 4" dropped I-beam is cast from high strength 65-45-12 ductile iron and we offer it in two configurations: Axle (A) measures 46" wide through the king pin centers and 34" centers at the 2 1/4" thick spring perch boss. Axle (B) measures 47 3/4" wide through the king pin centers and 36 1/2" centers at the 2 1/4" thick spring perch boss. They are only offered in plain finish.

If the decription of the axle includes the word "cast" in it, don't buy it.

28. http://matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=8ff2aecc7ac14df29b0cfc775e2d3726&ckck=1

"65-45-12 ductile iron is specified to have a
    minimum tensile strength of 65 ksi (448 MPa),
    a yield strength of 45 ksi (310 MPa) and an elongation of 12%"

Those pics do not show 12% elongation at the break.
    Which tells me something is very wrong.

29. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

To be fair, I checked and pretty sure both were chrome Magnums.

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30628&highlight=phoenix&page=4

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493156&highlight=wrecked+sedan+32

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Without delving into the whole superbell/speedway thing, nowadays all the mainstream mags are shills for thier major advertisers. If there IS a problem with these axles, that will be the LAST place we will hear about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.