Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Super Winfield banger spark plug question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by pumpman, Jan 15, 2015.

1. pumpman

pumpman

I did a search but didn't really find anything on what spark plug works the best with a Super Winfield aluminum head. So if any of you guys running this head on your banger could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. What size plug? 18mm or 14? What compression ratio?

3. pumpman

pumpman

I honestly don't know either answers. I got this at an estate sale and the previous owners wife didn't know anything about it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  4. pumpman

pumpman

This is the only markings on the head.

Attached Files:

5. Cool! Winfield normally used the first digit of the serial number to denote compression ratio; Yellow (6:1) heads had serial numbers beginning with 6, Red (7:1) heads with 7, and so-on.

Super Winfield heads are a little more complicated; they were made under license (perhaps by Bell Auto Parts) probably in the late 1940's-early 50's...it appears that the 8001 "serial number" indicates an 8:1 CR.

Do you have any photos of the combustion chambers? Are there any flycuts for the pistons? Also need you to measure the spark plug holes - they're probably 14mm, but could be 18mm. Also, are you looking to use a period (1940's-50's) plug or a modern one?

6. pumpman

pumpman

Thank you for the info. As I remember the where no cuts in the chambers. I'm trying to do a period correct build and want to use 40's - 50's plugs. I will be tearing the car apart for the final build this winter, so I'll check the chambers then. Just measured and the plug holes are 14 mm.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  7. I'm fairly sure of the Bell Auto Parts connection, as I have seen it mentioned in multiple sources. It's definitely a 14mm plug.

If I ever get my Super Winfield engine operational I have a set of vintage Autolite AR8 plugs I am going to try.

@RainierHooker might have some insight on what plugs to use as well.

8. pumpman

pumpman

I just put an auto-lite A-7 in it to confirm the diameter. It is 14mm. Are your AR8 hot plugs? I'm trying to figure out the best heat range to run, if I can find them.

9. Yup, you just jogged my memory; I think we did some research on this with your Super Winfield and came to the conclusion that it was a 3/8 reach plug...the AR8 certainly fits that category.

Lemme do some searching; I've got a crapload of old spark plug reference charts.

10. pumpman

pumpman

The Auto-lite A7 has a 3/8" reach. Is this a hot plug?

11. A7 is basically identical to the AR8 Matt mentioned above. Medium heat range plug. If you need colder, you could go down to the A5. The Champion equivalent to the AR8/A7 is the J8

12. @Hitchhiker, isn't your head 7:1...I seem to remember flycuts for pistons in yours and cast iron construction.

@pumpman, the AR8/A7 is probably a tad on the hot side for an 8:1 compression head...if that's what you have...I would suggest getting a modern 3/8 reach, medium heat range plug and a slightly cooler one to do some testing. Once you have your heat range dialed in, we can find a vintage plug to match...there are just too many variables to consider and I'd hate for you to spend a bunch of $$ on NOS plugs to find they aren't the ideal match for your combo. JMO.

13. pumpman

pumpman

Thank you, good advise. Getting ahead of myself as usual. I collect old spark plugs so I'm going to look to see what I have just out curiosity. But when it's time to fire her up I'll use the new stuff. Thanks again for you help.

14. No sweat! I'm a stickler for detail and to me, nothing makes or breaks a perfectly period engine like correct vintage plugs!! Unfortunately, I don't have much info on the Super Winfield; have lots of info/recommendations for the cast iron heads; just nothing for the higher compression aluminum job. Lemme do some digging...might be able to find a production car in that era that had similar compression & used a 3/8" reach 14mm plug...that also might be a good place to start.

15. Yep, @gwhite cast iron 7:1 head.

16. Right on, bud. Winfield recommended the Champion 13 (18mm) for the 7:1 heads, which correlates to the J8 in 14mm. Autolite A7/AR8 is the equivalent of the Champion J8 (or 13 in 18mm applications).

17. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I picked up a Super Winfield head at Hershey in the early '70's. It was and 8:0 : 1 with no fly cut on the chambers. It ended up on an engine of a friend. He wound up fly cutting the chambers to eliminate pre-detonation. I think that there is more information and aftermarket distributor products that might help address that problem today than back then. He still has the engine in an 'A' RPU. It is a real runner. I kind of wish that I never let him talk me out of it.