Register now to get rid of these ads!

Super Stock Window Straps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Large_911, May 25, 2009.

1. Large_911

Large_911

I am trying to get some info on the Plexiglass windows w/ the strap pull-ups (looks like a seatbelt) used on the 1960's (Hurst?) Hemi Darts & Cudas. Specifically, I am looking for some good pics, and was wondering what exact was used and how was it done, regarding the strap material. If anyone was some info, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Phil1934

Phil1934

I recall it was old military belting with the snapping grommets.

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

mopars actually used seat belts out of the A100 vans. attached one end to the bottom of the window frame, then pull it up and clip it into the other end attached to the cage/seat frame or floor

4. pastlane

pastlane

Not sure about the straps but Mopar used lightweight Corning glass, not plexiglass

5. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Seat belt that snapped to thebottom of the door to keep them up see photo.

Attached Files:

6. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

FunnyCar nailed it: They were actual seat belts, with one part of the latch on the end of the belt, and the other end of the latch attached to the bottom of the door, that way the doors could be opened or closed with the windows up or down.

The factory wasn't going to buy military surplus when they could just go to the parts bin, and they wouldn't attach to anything but the door, because then you couldn't open the door with the window up.

The lightweight bucket seats were from A-100 vans, without slides or tracks, simply bolted to the custom-made aluminum seat brackets.

-Brad

7. storm king

storm king

Yep, regular seatbelt cloth, fastened to the inside of the door at the outer upper window frame base, run under the window, back up and out on the inside of the window track, and had a simple snap on the belt and door. One at the top metal plate on the inside of the door, one at the bottom. That was all. Mopar engineering, simple, effiecient, bulletproof.

8. hvychvy

hvychvy

I just use a bungee cord:DWorks though:)

9. jim_ss409

jim_ss409

I was going to use the seat belt setup on my 55 Chevy but the roll bar would have made it impossible to use. So I made a similar setup using a thin rope with a grommet and cleat from a small sailboat. It's simple but it works great.

Attached Files:

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That belt riser is the way Model T car owners up through 1925(?) pulled their windows up and truck owners through 1927 as well. The belt had eyelets and at the bottom face of the door just below the window opening was a snap stud.
    Only "problem" was that on really bumpy roads with the windows down they had nothing retaining them but gravity so that big slab of plate(not safety plate, just plain plate) glass was bouncing up and down in the door.
    The 26-27 Closed Cars used window regulators and inside handles which continued in improved form into the Model As, both with steel and wooden doors.

11. Large_911

Large_911

Thanks for all the info fellas -- this helps out a lot.