Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sunday the 11th Cruise to the Broiler SOCAL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John Denich, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Weasel

Weasel

Thanks Bad Bob for the great coverage - I just spent 30 minutes checking it all out...hope to make it to the Grand Opening.

2. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for taking time out of your day to observe-participate in the Demo Anniversary Cruise. It's all you guys that help and take killer pictures of all of these great people and cars. A special THANK YOU to 60 Coupe, Those shirts were flying out of the box! You guys sure now how to make change.
    I was late because I promissed Leocad thay I'd do the Ghost Cruise for the anni because he didn't get a chance to participate so when he showed up @ Toluca Lake the Broiler jeepster made tracks on an abreviated Ghost Cruise III and we picked up another in Alh.
    I'm glad that Adriene got the gate for you guys and that you had a good time.
    Wait till it is done! It will be GREAT! Thank each and everyone of you!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  3. I'm surprised nobody got a pic of the engine in the sharp box Nova. It's a very well dressed 6 banger. NICE car.

4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Thanks for posting the pictures guys. Pop and I had a great day. Hope to see you all when it opens.

5. DAmn guys looks like ya had a blast.can't wait to cruise over for the grand opening......thanks for the pics BB

6. leocad

leocad
    from LA, CA

I want to Thank Kevin, even though I didnt know the Ghost Cruise was actually on until our mutual friend Blue called me to let me know that there was a group meeting at Toluca Lake! I had intended on just driving to Johnnies at noon, but when Blue called I got there ASAP. After the last of the group got there we took off and like Kevin said did the abbreviated cruise. It was an educational drive on a beautiful sunny Sunday afternoon with 6 classic cars, what more can you ask for?

Kevin, hats off to you and all that were involved in saving Johnnies, look forward to opening day!!

7. It was really a cool thing. And it was super neat to see Joe Morgan out there. Henry Harrison used to drive for Joe and Henry taught John Force a lot of what he knows. A lot of the guys who started the stuff we love are still out there. Great stories to be heard. I'm working on getting him to join us for breakfast before GNRS.

8. THAT'S cool Bob. If I'd known, STUGOTS would've followed you there, despite your friends disapproval of my whopping 3" burnout(man he looked pissed):D

9. Thanks for the great pictures, makes me want to relive some the times I had in '59 - '63 while going to college in LA, much has changed but this looks as though you guys are working hard to keep some of the character and essence of a unique time alive.
    Well done,
    Al

10. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Leocad,
    You are so welcome.

This was a great cruise because of all of you guys, It was fun,but next time will be even better;).
    I got a call from Jim this evening saying that he is sorry that he couldn't get away from the West Covina store,but heard about the cruise and was glad that there is excitement re:the opening and the rebuild.

Thanx everone, You not only took a sad ocasion and and made it a great day, but made Jim's Adriene's and Analisa's day as well.

11. Looking forward to eating in my Merc at the opening!!!!!
    Right on Kevin....

12. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Yesterday was great. I can't wait until the grand opening.

13. KEVIN please give us enough notice so we can roll over from Tucson,hopefully it falls on a weekend like the swapmeet or whatever.....no matter.Im there

14. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Everybody is on the same page now, so here's to hoping for no sh*tty weather:rolleyes:. If all goes as planned, the building part may be done by 1st week of April and the restaurant equipment would take about a month to move in. The Signs are like that as well, pretty crazy job!
    Not to mention the surface of the lot itself. Still a long road ahead.
    But atleast I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Will defintely let you know when it's ready for action Meatball!

15. John Denich

John Denich

Yup I had a great day yesterday...Kinda cool driving my Chevy after over a year!!!! cant wait till it opens!

John

16. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

That was great.....thanks for the pix.....I sure envy you guys driving the cool stuff all year long.....

17. Man! I'm embarrassed! I was distracted when I said my friend, above, was Joe Morgan. He's Joe Thomas. Want to know who that is? Go the the Awful, Awful Fuel Altered's site and look up Thomas, Pritchard and Harrison. The Beaver Hunter. One of the bad ass AA/FAs of the sixties.

Sorry, Joe. I'm a moron. Breakfast is one me at El Merendero's when we all meet before the GNRS.

18. Great pictures, thanks. Wish I could have made it, looks like it was a great time. I will go to the (re)opening for sure.

19. NoSurf

NoSurf

Nice.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Looks like a blast.

Someday- I will be there.

20. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

anyone notice in the artist rendering that Kev's jeep is in it??:D nice touch!!

21. so is that poster avaible?????????????

22. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Ya, I think we all razzzed Kevin a little over that. :D:rolleyes:

23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

"anyone notice in the artist rendering that Kev's jeep is in it??:D nice touch!! -Hop up Jalop"

"so is that poster avaible????????????? -meatball"

"Ya, I think we all razzzed Kevin a little over that. :D:rolleyes:- CrazyDaddyo <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->"

Here is the skinny wth the rendering. The architects kept having to go back and alter the drawings as we had meetings.You can go back to the Harvey's Razed post and just see the shell. Over the next few months Jim wanted the place to look alive so cars of all types began to included by the architect, so Jim asked me to send him pics of The Coalition to Save Harvey's Broiler 51 Jeepster so he could include it.

One day Adriene and I were @ AAA and we needed to pay the tags on it and I said lets look for a personalized late with either Harvey's of Johnie's on it" Harvey's was taken but Johnie's was available, so we ordered it. It worked out better because the girls, Adriene and Analisa always refered to it as Johnie's so we as a coalition have Johnie's Jeepster.

Yes I did get razzed a bit because most people thought that I put it in.

As for the posters becoming available, I'll ask Jim if we can make a run.

Thanks again guys for coming on out. Look in the new Street Rodder Mag.
    There is a letter that I wrote to Brian Brennan in reply to his Dec 08 Editorial.

<!-- / message -->

24. I think I might have the "Bad Bob's Run to the Bun II",this year. Maybe start here at the Village Idiots spot and drive to the new Bob's Broiler!!!
    Or we could all meet at the same spot as the Mooneyes Caravan...57 and Imperial Blvd.
    We could all drive down Imperial Blvd to Firestone Blvd,right to Bobs....

What do you guys think???? Maybe the first Sunday in June?

25. 55oldsrocket

55oldsrocket
    from Santa Ana

Kevin it was good meeting you there at harveys.
    and also want to thank you for putting me in contact with the general contractor.

i stopped by this wednesday and spoke to bryan the project manager, very nice guy. i will keep in touch w him and see if we can get in there and make the lot look perty!

26. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

Bob,
    I'm looking forward to "Bad Bob's BBQ 2"

27. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

That sounds great Bob!
    A "Bad Bobs Run To The Broiler for some Buns";) Jim will dig that!
    Thanks for getting all the guys together and coming to the Demo Cruise.
    CK

28. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Good U,
    Brian and you guys built a business relationship. There is alot of work there and we'd like to save as much as we can. The lot could be patched in some places and totally redone in many other areas.
    We may be able to retain everything from the canopy to the wall.
    So no green/water trap zone like we we 1st thought. We may be able to
    have the middle area for parking like we had in the old days.
    Glad to have met you as well. It would be nice having a HAMB family member on the project.

29. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

30. Mazooma1

Mazooma1