Register now to get rid of these ads!

History SUNDAY SUNDAY at Aquasco Speedway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by schwinn1, Feb 21, 2009.

1. schwinn1

schwinn1

The Mori brothers from Hot Rod sept 61 and May of 68. This is the best I can do for now I'm still downloading more slides.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. Thanks for the pics Mike, I remember seeing the Mori Bros. car the first time they brought it to Aquasco, it had the fenders as shown and was a copper sort of color, it was really neat seeing a little "Foreign" car with a V8 engine, caused quite a stir !

3. 60man

60man

WOW !! great pictures. Brings back a lot of fond memories. I remember the ball bustin' S&S boys very well...How are ya Dave?I had the pleasure of hanging with Bob Bernardon at the York US 30 Musclecar Madness show several years back when Jolly Dolly was on display next to Arapaho.... I hung out with the Thayer's Sinclair group of mostly Pontiacs back then...Gene Calhoun/Arapaho 60 Ventura,Nick McCauly/Pony Express 61 Cat Ragtop,Les Harris/L'll Cloud 60 Ventura,Pop Kannidy(sp)59 Chev,and myself with a 58 Chieftan coupe. John Thayer was a master of Pontiac's but was good on most others too. I would love to see some pics of those cars if possible.
    I have some pictures of Gene with Arapaho(my clone car) at last years Old Dominion Reunion meet. Keep pics coming !!

Attached Files:

4. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

Speaking of Pontiacs, do any of you fellas have any pictures of Bob Maxey's "Clinton Shaker" '60 Pontiac Wagon? This little picture is all I could find on the web-

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

A friend of mine still has the original ChevWagon. He started to restore it but that was a while back. Not sure of the current status but it's still around.

6. schwinn1

schwinn1

Hey 60man here's one for now.

7. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Aquasco Speedway 1964

[​IMG]

8. 0ldracer

0ldracer

40 YEARS LATER....Aquasco Speedway 2004

[​IMG]

9. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Speaking of Aquasco towers, what was the second one on the pit side of the track used for? (located a few hundred feet from the line). I always assumed it was part of the early timing system.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

10. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Lee,

Seems like that is where you stopped and got your timing slip.
    DH

11. schwinn1

schwinn1

Just a couple more of the tower. The last one is from the inside looking at the starting line.

12. 0ldracer

0ldracer

More Aquasco Speedway...This is 1962.

Dave Hales on the left and Fred Bear on the right with their nearly identical 1955 Chevys.

[​IMG]

13. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

Schwinn 1 pictures, That 32 roadster is the Neal East car that was on the cover of the 1st big R&C. at the time it belonged to Bill Moeller,member of the Ram Rods, advertising the D.C.armory rod and custom show. The car will be at the detroit autorama next week.

14. schwinn1

schwinn1

Thanks for the info Geezzer I have a couple of those advertisments hanging up in my garage. I would get them from the local DGS store when they were done with them. I remember the ram rods when they were located in Kensington and then Gaithersburg MD. Haven't heard much from them lately are they still around? Here's an article from Hot Rod 63. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  15. Very cool pictures, thanks to all for posting. It's nice to see some oldies from my own back yard, so to speak......

16. I've got that same issue of Hot Rod here around the house somewhere (among the many stacks of magazines). Did you notice that everyone seems to add the "s" at the end of Silver Spring making it Silver Springs? It's a common mistake from out of the area coverage. Sure were some great shows the Ram Rods put on back in the 60's at the D.C. National Guard Armory. Nothing quite like a car show in a wooden floor armory. I guess that's why I enjoy the Jalopyrama so much. Sure hope it can continue.:)..Don.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  17. Thanks to everyone for sharing. You have given me a history lesson about drag racing in my home state that I didn't know about. Maryland has always been a crossroads for the north and south to meet and the diversity of folks living and racing at Aquasco, Cecil, 75-80, Budd's Creek and Capitol Raceway was and has always been very compelling.
    Thanks again and I hope this thread continues to grow.

18. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

The Ram Rods are still active. They kinda' got screwed out of the show they hosted for so many years. I agree with the poster that mentioned the shows at the armory. Those were the best. And Sunday night out in the street. Prisoners from the D.C. jail watching all the street racing..:)
    Some members are still around. Len Cottrell is still racing in Top Alcohol Dragster, Dave Stegman sold his ancient '33 Willys gasser but was supposedly going to partner up with a couple other guys to re-create the altered they ran years ago, I heard Charlie Clattenburg just recently passed, Johnny Rocca is still around.
    The Ram Rods was a great group of guys. I never forgot going the shop in Kensington. I believe they recently gave up the shop in Gaithersburg at the airport. Mike

19. schwinn1

schwinn1

Thanks HR Mike and Lothiandon1940 for all the info. Yeah the D.C. armory definitly had the best car shows, as a kid I would always biuld a model for the model car show. Thursday night move in and sundays when all the cars would pull out it was definitly the best. Here's a picture of one of the neighborhood hero's Tommy Coleman's 56 chevy "Little Green Apple". Thanks again I will be posting more aquasco pictures today. Mike "schwinn1"

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  20. solid

solid

cool thread. I love that 63 falcon convert. Meeaann!!!

21. Thanks again Mike ! I used to enter a Model every Year,just to get into the show free,if I remember, You got a free 3 day entry pass! I even won a big trophy in 63 or 64, I still have it !

22. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Ha ha Bill, you never gave the models up. That's probably why you're so good at customizing them now :) Mike

23. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  24. schwinn1

schwinn1

Hey everybody I would like to thank everyone for visiting and posting your pictures and comments to this thread. Here's some more pictures from the early 60's hope you like them. P.S. thanks Lee for adding those pictures to your aquasco site they look great:)

25. schwinn1

schwinn1

Here's a few more.

26. schwinn1

schwinn1

And some more.

27. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Here's one of the cars I crewed on. This was taken at Indy in 1969. We ran quite a bit at Aquasco. Any more pics of this car would be appreciated. Mike

Attached Files:

28. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

Schwinn1,There were some awesome cars around the D.C.area. Thanks for sharing some great photos. A note of interest, the Procopio family has opened a restruant in Annapolis called Philly Flash. It is decorated with pictures from their old dragstrips.
    Thanks again.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  30. 0ldracer

0ldracer

[​IMG]

John Hunt from Alexandria, Virginia
    Very sanitary Model "A" B/Gasser or maybe C/Gasser?
    Hilborn Injected Small Block Chevy