Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sunday rant (more like a cry for help for all of us...)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exwestracer, Jul 15, 2012.

1. I guess I've officially become an "old guy", because I'm thinking a lot these days about the "younger generation" and why so many (not all) just don't get the idea of doing quality work, and the satisfaction it can bring. My day job is teaching chassis fabrication to adult (well 18+, anyway) students. I also occasionally help the wife out with her upholstery business. She's been successful enough that we've been looking for a full-time employee, and BOY has that been an adventure… Recently, while helping her out with a job for an older gentleman, I woke up and realized what the communication error is with young people and trying to teach them the joy of craftsmanship.

For years now, we've been trying to "engineer" certain diseases and traits out of our population. Cancers, smallpox, bad breath, you name it; we've been digging deep in the genetic toolbox. It seems to be that we HAVE been quite successful in getting rid of one thing…the human attention span. The gentleman we were doing the upholstery job for was an "old school" machinist. We found an aluminum casting that was part of his convertible top had a bad case of rot. The owner said he'd fix it himself and explained how he was going to do it. A TIG welder, metal putty, and files. No CNC machines, no overnight shipping in new parts… We agreed that neither of us knew any of the younger generation who would take the time to sit down and do the job correctly. I told him that I doubted I would have that kind of patience myself...

I saw a TV show recently about the construction of the Taj Mahal in India. Part of the show explained how the Indian craftsman made the jeweled mosaics that cover the inside of the building. To this day, they sit at a bow-driven grinding wheel and hand carve each jewel to fit in a tiny recess that another worker has cut in a tablet of stone. The amazing part of all this is when you look at how long it takes to get one stone absolutely perfect, and then they pull the camera back and you see that the tablet is 10-12 feet across and there are literally tens of thousands of pieces to inlay… And those workers are not getting paid anywhere NEAR the US minimum wage.

THAT'S when it hit me… There is NO WAY I could train most young Americans to do that job. It's not that they don't posses the skills, they just don't see the point in it. Why not? I think for too many years, we've been re-writing the rules when it comes to accomplishment, to help make kids feel better about themselves. We place far too much emphasis on how much money a job is worth. What's been lost is the pride that comes with making something look and work RIGHT. Sorry, but when it comes to hand-crafting car parts as a culture, the New Zealanders OWN the deal. I'm consistently amazed at what those guys build from junk…just the way we USED to do it here in the US.

Anymore, we as a society are WAY too busy to spend hours shaping some little part with a hand file, but doing WHAT? This goes back to the "old" idea of making your dad proud of you for building something nice. I remember many old TV commercials that showed father and son making something together…how many of those do you see today? I tried to get this point across to my 2 sons at different times. One of them gets it, but let's just say he "chooses his battles carefully". The other one just didn't have the time for it. He was too busy hanging out downtown trying to be "seen", and bitching about how there was nothing to do… Maybe it was somehow my fault, but I know I'm not the only one who has had this problem.

I'd bet if you sat 100 teenagers or twenty-somethings down and gave them a square block of aluminum and a file and told them to make an egg, 70 of them might ask how much they were getting paid for it, and walk away when you told them nothing. 20 more might ask how long it would take and walk away when you told them 6 hours. Of the remaining 10, 5 might re-define the concept of "egg" to include flat sides and square corners; to make themselves feel better about not spending the time on it. The other 5 would make the egg, and 1 or 2 might even make a chicken proud…

The 5 who re-defined the egg are our "rat-rodders". Us "old guys" like to build nice stuff to make ourselves proud. Rat-rodders like to build garbage so they can have what "we have" without putting the effort into it. And the idea has progressed one step further, to keep pace with young people's general attitude toward "authority". If I tell one of those kids how to build something a certain way, he'll build it differently just to show me I don't know everything. Trouble is, I always try to tell them how to build things the "right" way; strong, light, and good-looking. You know, like you took pride in the construction process…

I've seen this hundreds of times, and a lot of students get pissed off at me when I point out that they just ground all of their structural weld back off, or that the 2 brackets they just made aren't the same shape. My brain can't even comprehend building stuff that way, so I guess I just "don't understand, Dad"…

For me, traditional hot-rodding is about taking what you have at hand and using your skills to make it into something special. Unfortunately, we've re-defined "special" to mean anything that is different, even if it's ugly or doesn't work right…

Maybe I'm a heartless bastard (I've been told so), but I really don't care if people "feel good" about building junk, or being junk. This is the SAME problem that is running America into the ground…we want it all, we want it NOW, and we don't want to put forth any effort to get it. Having a hot rod or race car is not a "right", it's a RITE of passage.

The good news is, if you took the time to read ALL of this, you might not suffer from the problem...

2. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

great read...and i agree....

3. Olds Tinman

Olds Tinman
    from W.N.Y

4. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Instant Gratification is a problem with this generation. It's not just hot Rods, its in the work place, pretty much everywhere. I actually find I suffer from it occasionally. I am 35, so I kind of bridge the gap in that respect. I am getting used to stuff being available so quick now that when it doesn't happen with my car, I find myself getting irritated. It didn't used to bother me when I was younger though. I have to force myself to remember that things didn't used to be available so quickly, and I used to be fine with that.

5. evs1

evs1

I don't think I could define it any better.

6. Racer: I hear you and agree with most of what you had to say. I would like to add that if everyone lived up to your standard we would all be a lot alike and our cars would all meet a certain standard as well. I too don't like or appreciate some of the crap I see that is called RR or even mistaken as traditional cars. This is not peculiar to hotrods only. Other areas of the auto world have the same issues. I do however enjoy diversity (in cars) and would rather see a higher quality product. At the same time I recall some of the stuff I drove in my youth (66 now) and realize it took some time to "get it". I just have to suck it up and be patient and have seen some of "them" come around. Some of them are seeking approval and do whatever to get it, even if its wrong. Love them anyway. Tim..official old guy also.

7. flathead okie

flathead okie

Hit the nail on the head squarely.

8. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

As a middle of the road aged guy (35) I agree and disagree at the same time... allow me to explain...
    You are older, youve been there, done that twice and bought the t shirt. We know.
    What also comes with experience and age is the ability to surround yourself with confident, talented, and committed people who usually ahave the same likes, hobbies, and interests.
    Think back when you were young and in your early 20's... Im sure some friends went to college, or war, or moved away never to be seen again. I bet some of your drinking buddies became fall down drunks whom you dont talk to because of something that happened along the way...
    My point being, now that you are older you associate with the small "slice" of humans that interest you while looking oddly upon those that dont, namely the youth.
    Todays youth surround themselves with fads and trends, and right now the trash rod evolution is at its peak. I could go on about their music and the hair and tattoos but I think you get it.
    What needs to be looked at is the "slice" of the youth that is building quality stuff with their hands. The "slice" that still enjoys getting dirty on a Friday night in the garage. They are out there and are willing to show their mettle when given the chance. Its just hard to hear sometimes when the older generation closes the door because you are under 30 and have a forearm tattoo.
    Have faith, "old men and women", I am still optimistic that in the next 15-20 years that there will be a renaissance of sorts in America. Back to the older ways of Made in America by Americans. Time will tell...

9. squirrel

squirrel

I read all of it, but I had to get up in the middle to walk around the house. My attention span isn't what it was when I made this wrench as a freshman in machine shop, using a hacksaw and a file and a drill press.

I think you might be on to something. It seems the only kids on the high school robot team I mentor that really put a lot of time into solving difficult problems, are the programmers.

Attached Files:

10. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Just got back from a so called classic car swap meet this AM. The younger generation scares the crap out of me. Their manners are horrible and disgusting. I could go on and on. Daily rant over........

11. customcory

customcory

It starts at school. They are probably more worried about kids SAT scores and filling up colleges than making thinkers. The thinkers just sit there until they have some inspiration. Somebody needs to light those fires in kids. I don't know how you do it. If the parents don't have skills, then the kid has to pull it out of him or herself. Its going to be hard for people that only know the computer. You're right!

12. Slick,
    I'm 44, and I think part of it is that I learned very early on to listen to what the "old guys" had to say, and not try so hard to show them what I (really didn't) know.

13. got nothing to do today[for once]
    and have been reading the hamb for entertainment
    and some are working on cars and doing a good job so all is not lost the world will continue

BUT we well see less and less craftsmen
    and us heading for 70 wont be filing and hammering much more as the bodies continue to atrophy:eek:

14. 117harv

117harv

You had me until the RR statement. My brother was an art teacher, now retired, he has seen hundreds of high school kids over the years with talent to spare. Many of these kids could care less, and do nothing with it. Others love art and have much less or no talent, yet they are proud of what they do as they did their best. I have seen so many rides that are refered to as RR with great engineering and welding, the overall finish is what gets them the moniker. When i fab i never say that's good enough, as soon as those words are spoken it's all down hill. I strive to do better each time, and even at my age i'm stll learnig.

Making anything lousy on purpose or cutting corners is unacceptable to me. Calling the vast majority of youth lazy, and what's in it for me, isn't fair. There are hundreds of members here that are young and want to do their best and learn. I know alot of older people who are like you describe.

15. Gator

Gator

I usually pass over these 'rant' posts - but this is a good one.

Society anymore is all about "Instant gratification" and cheap, disposable products - cars, appliances, etc.

16. Harv,
    I wasn't about defining "rat rod". I agree that the term is applied too widely. I was referring to the "built like shit and proud of it" version.

And not saying that there isn't a lot of talent and desire to learn out there, but I have seen that when it comes down to brass tacks and it's time to put in the HARD work and long hours, a lot of them do fade away...

17. sawzall

sawzall

bullshit..

it starts at home..

parents and students think that the schools owe them something for nothing.. without effort or time

18. slammed

slammed

The young are taught and learn by what they SEE in their home, school, environment. As a WHOLE, what has the USA set an example as the last 30+ years?

19. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

I am the US father to a young man from Finland. He is a good kid but his work habits are........well he is good a computer stuff. Has no interest in cars or trying to fix anything. Is more into clothes and working out than doing anything that might be hands on work. His US friends are into cars just a little bit more. I think its because we have to drive just about everywhere. In Finland he used public transportation almost exclusive.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  20. 47,
    I was trying make a point about craftsmanship and pride in general. As you pointed out, there are many other ways for people to get gratification without putting out the effort...

21. First, every single kid in the room is going to ask themselves, "What the f*** good is an aluminum egg going to do me?" Hell, I'd ask myself that.

Now, show them how to make their computer 10x faster or how their cell phone can get a signal in the deepest cave and you'll have a ton of interest.

I bet 98.9% of them think the same thing when someone tries to teach them a bit about hot rods, "What does this old car have to do with me?"

Now it's true that some, maybe even most, want things quick but don't want to put in the effort to get those things.

Don't waste your time with them. They'll learn from the school of hard knocks or find their own path.

Find the few that care about what you do and teach them. They will gladly absorb your wisdom.

22. No Country for Old Men! I know I am one of them:confused:

23. roddinron

roddinron

The problem with the present generation is the generation that went before them.
    I'm in my 60's, a baby boomer, and as my parents were a part of "the greatest generation", my age group was a part of the beginning of "the most spoiled generation", and every generation since has gone down hill a little more. I could go into my own long rambling rant, but it would serve no purpose, and would change nothing. It's no different than all the great societies that have gone before us. We are in decline, it's just the way it is.

24. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

I agree!

25. 66slabside

66slabside

Joining the band wagon here. At 44 I don't consider myself either old or young. I work in construction as a concrete cutter and have to agree with the work ethic of the young people I see in our company. We do have some guys that are in their 20's that still know how to work hard but the majority don't last very long. One guy I work with has come a long way from when he started but still drives me nuts. This lt week we worked 62 hours without including the two hour drive each way to the job site. All he did on the way home Friday was tell his friends he couldn't meet with them this weekend because he had worked to hard. He bitched about getting a wire from the wire wheel stuck in his hand for two days and how he thought it looked swollen. He complained about how tired he was and feel asleep on the way to the job site Friday while I drove there. I just keep teasing him and telling him we will make him into a real man yet! I got home Friday after listening to him whine the whole way home and fixed the sprinklers, put the A/C unit in, ran around collecting tools and parts for this weekends car build, hung out with the kids and made whoopie with the wife before going to bed. My back hurts, my hip and knee hurts and my necks sore but I was taught by my dad (who's 84 by the way) to do what you have to do to take care of his family. No bitching allowed. We used to make all kinds of cool stuff together when I was a kid and I'm continuing to do that with my kids too.
    Anyways off the soap box and off to take the kids to a Ford only show at the fair grounds.

26. robber

robber

I am 60 years old now and belong to the older generation. As a kid, I used to cuss my Dad (never to his face) because of the way he critiqued my efforts. He used to say, "Damn it! There is a right way and a lazy way to do things!" I would have to apply myself until it suited him. I hated it at the time, but I thank him dearly for the work values that he instilled in me.
    To this day, I try to be the best I can, at what I do, with what I have.

We created the younger generation. Many were set in front of the TV and video games because it was a convenient baby sitter. That did not help to nurture their creative minds. Instead, it made them want to be entertained all of the time. Society decided not to discipline them because of "self-esteem". There were no losers. We didn't teach them that it was OK to fall down and show them how to get back up. You couldn't spank your kids in public or you might possibly get in trouble with "the authorities". Because of this (IMO), society is broken, many family values have fallen by the wayside. Maybe we should return to some of the old ways... what these kids need is more interaction from a guiding hand and an understanding heart.;) Hopefully it is not to late to fix the society that we have broken ...Robber

27. customcory

customcory

Well it starts at home unless there are no parents at or they are in jail or sitting on the couch on perscription pills, then the kid has to pull it out his ass, the schools suck.

28. Welcome to the HAMB, and thanks for the example!

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn, you did a great job of putting into words what I have been trying to explain for a long time. I have at times past tried to get help running my louver press as my back is getting to a point where it just isn't as easy to do anymore. All I could really pay would be Minimum wage at best, which usually puts my employee pool squarely in the teens catagory. But even the kids that DO have an interest in hot rods, and profess their desire to learn how this stuff is done watch the hours and precision that is involved in an average project off my press and shake their heads. I remember the watching the old guys who taught me things like hammer welding and body work, and the hours I spent watching everything they did, then going home and reading more about how it's done that evening. I honestly don't believe that is in MOST young guys today.

Willy, for the sake of this country I hope your right! I too see a small ground swell of folks saying that learning these skills IS as important as earning a degree at something, but the question is, is it too late?

You and me both! I had two grandfathers that were "just build it" kinda guys. Between them, they gave me my mechanical and shop skills. After that, I fell in with the neighborhood hot rodders, (man those guys were OLD - they had to be in their 30s!!!)who taught me the most of my car related skills. That was super important to me, 'cause as good a man as my step father is, he was more a touchy - feely - get in touch with your emotions - what university will you attend kinda guy.

30. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

What are you going to do? The previous generation spends all that time and effort and ingenuity to make life easier for the next generation, then complains that the next generation have it too easy.
    At the end of the day you can't uninvente stuff. I'm a quadriplegic in England, and there's no way I would have my traditionally inspired American custom without the Internet. And the stupid thing is after all that, I still hate modern technology. Go figure.
    Paul