Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sunday models

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by milo1303s, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Cool builds! Makes me wonder if my builds that I spend hours detailing will end up broken and dusty in a box someday.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Geoff Hacker aka Forgotten Fiberglass used to have that at his place in Tampa
    Got to see it like 8 years ago

NHRANUT and Fordors like this.
  3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

4. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

That's nuts! He certainly liked multiple engines.

mchook likes this.
  5. Mike-model

Mike-model

@Dan Hay....This is an interesting point. I do know that models built while still at home ended up so....the very un-adept nephew got his hands on them....end of story. I'm still saddened by this. I'm 70yrs. old.

Meantime, a wall in my study is full of historical wooden model ships. Big ones, 3 ft. long and more, took me well over a year to complete. Built starting back in 1975. Cars in brass is only a new thing of a couple of years, sailing ships in wood are my favorites.

I talked with the wife, should she ever feel the need, the models can be sold, the brass cars too, and some cash can come around. The look she gave me needed no words. All is in a will now and to be donated. We have no children.

We all wish to think to be remembered, be assured we will, and I'm at ease with the thought things will be taken care of, so or so.

Mike..

PS: Here a scratch built wooden cargo ship, mid 1850s. Mahogany planking. 30" long. Wood stain is a mix which follows the usual cabinet making scheme and finish of the era. This one was completed 2005.

-SAM_0055.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  6. Mike-model

Mike-model

Further along now with the 1:16 full brass body FED.

Yesterday was a good one. Zoomies were bent and fitted into the prepped heads, and wire wheels were laced for the front.

For me the methods shown has worked out to be the best, each zoomie tube takes about 5 minutes! The wheels are still a pita though. A new method has eased up the pain and the deal goes fairly well now. I do feel the best wire wheels to date.

-IMG_3823.jpg -IMG_3826.jpg -IMG_3827.jpg -IMG_3831.jpg -IMG_3832.jpg -IMG_3828.jpg -IMG_3830.jpg

Meantime, zoomies are soldered up and mounted provisionally, painted white later on. Wire wheels will be painted with Alclad Chrome.

Mike..

rudestude, mchook, rc57 and 14 others like this.
  7. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Mike, I too am in my 70s and beginning to give serious thought to what will happen to my models and other "stuff"
    How do you keep the ships dust free?

8. Mike-model

Mike-model

@john worden, the ships are shelved openly and indeed get dusty, especially the rigging and sails. About every 2-3 years they get a blast of compressed air (not too much pressure). The room is next to the kitchen, so keeping the kitchen door closed while cooking helps a lot (cooking fumes and such get things grungy over time).

Otherwise, they're placed in the bathtub and given a shower, after dousing the rigging and decks with a shot of household cleaner. Works well using a small stiff brush. Afterwards, compressed air to dry things off.

Throughout the years, the deck planking has gotten a wonderful, weathered look that's hard to get otherwise. Also, all of the ships have a hole or two in the very lowest part of the hull at the keel. Unseen, the holes help to dry out the inside. Other shipbuilders cringe when reading about this method....but it works well for me.

Mike..

9. The Bob McGee Roadster is almost finished, just a few details left.

IMG_1758.JPG IMG_1760.JPG IMG_1759.JPG IMG_1763.JPG IMG_1762.JPG

10. Due to feeling a little under the weather, and due to the actual weather, yesterday was a great day to sit around and do nothing, so instead of doing nothing, I set out to build an old AMT kit start to finish in a day. Technically I sanded some mold lines off the coupe body a month or two ago, but otherwise it was a virgin unstarted kit. Paint is Tamiya sprays (body, engine, seats, and chassis/floor. It's messy- I didn't clean up mold lines on the chrome because I didn't want to repaint all the chrome. Completely box stock, no extra detailing. I started it around 10:45 yesterday morning, and finished it at 9:00 that evening, with a couple of breaks for lunch, dinner, and to take the dog out. This was fun. Weather is nicer today, and I'm feeling better.

public.fotki.com/Chevelle350/models-art/tcompcoupe/

PXL_20210502_020134645.jpg PXL_20210502_020327929.jpg PXL_20210502_020349419~2.jpg PXL_20210501_234350105.jpg PXL_20210502_020035368.jpg

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  11. Deuces

Deuces

Very cool!....:cool:

kiwijeff, ebs121781 and Mike-model like this.
  12. Mike-model

Mike-model

Guys, seems like things are slugging along these days. The current FED project is moving along, just lots of small finicky stuff not worth posting yet.

Here one of my favorites, a simple old school '32 Bantam Fuel Altered. 1:25, brass chassis scratch build with aluminum panels and a scale 94" WB. Wheels are resin, but cast in nickel alloy. Resin body with House of Kolors, candy blue over a gold base = wonderful emerald green! 14 coats altogether. Car has a Dana 60 with a 4 bar setup, not exactly old school, but fun to model!

-SAM_3288.jpg -SAM_3272.jpg -SAM_3274.jpg 1-Final 3-3.jpg 1-Final 5-12.JPG 1-SAM_3578.jpg

1-Final 5-2.jpg

Mike..

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  13. Deuces

Deuces

Oh, hell yeah!... I love them stacks!... :)

Mike-model likes this.
  14. Mike-model

Mike-model

Here a small update on the motor. Zoomies are soldered up and painted, just not attached yet. Blower gets drilled bolt holes, the hat gets 4 tubes for fuel lines. The magneto is stock Revell, just 9 holes were drilled for tubes for the leads, plus the mag gets a brass tube for strength, reaches deep into the block.

-IMG_3834.jpg -IMG_3836.jpg -IMG_3841.jpg -IMG_3845.jpg -IMG_3846.jpg -IMG_3847.jpg -IMG_3848.jpg -IMG_3850.jpg

Lots of painting coming up soon.

Mike..

15. IMG_1789.JPG IMG_1792.JPG IMG_1794.JPG IMG_1796.JPG IMG_1799.JPG

16. IMG_1783.JPG IMG_1784.JPG IMG_1787.JPG IMG_1786.JPG

17. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Wow that looks great!!!

Deuces and Dan Hay like this.
  18. Deuces and Dan Hay like this.
  19. Mike-model

Mike-model

Small update with a brass, 1.16 FED.
    Paint, House of Kolors, Brandywine on Orion Silver base. Straightforward job, nothing special. The other panels are still drying out.
    Motor is ready for fuel lines and spark leads.
    Wire wheels have Alclad chrome.
    Not much left to do, soon finished.

-IMG_3859.jpg -IMG_3860.jpg -IMG_3862.jpg -IMG_3863.jpg -IMG_3854.jpg -IMG_3858.jpg

It's always exciting to get to this stage. Biggest worry is keeping the body clean and safe!

Mike..

20. rc57

rc57

Looks great Mike! I can't wait to get back to modeling again. My dad passed 2 weeks ago and the last 5 months have been very busy..
    Can't wait to see it done.

Mike-model, Dan Hay and Deuces like this.
  21. I am sorry for your loss. My dad died in oct 1999 and I think about him everyday. He was my best friend.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  22. rudestude

rudestude

Well guys looks like everyone is staying busy....and Mike...mike..mike...the FED is looking ..you know, very nice...you know how I feel.
    And Dan ..the 32 looks great , had to look close to see if you maybe left the keys in it.
    And to the others...great work.
    Im trying to get back into building again after my emergency health dump ordeal, getting better, just dealing with doctors and testing crap...but its for the good so Im following what they tell me to do.
    I had just moved my 50 Studebaker Champion 70's street freak style build to my uncle's shop for some chassis building , when I had my attack, he worked on it for the week I was in the hospital then after I was released , I rested for 2 days then went back to work on it and now its back home waiting for the next round of parts install....its a bitch working on stuff while draging a oxygen bottle around...not the welding kind.
    Anyways while I was cleaning and reorganizing my desk top model shop getting ready for the relaunch, I run across some parts I was working on for my 36 3w custom/drag build, kind of a cool grill treatment idea that I was playing with using a old watch band....what do you think?
    Thanks Mike.
    Terry (aka Rudestude)

The car went into the shop with just a shell on a stripped original bare frame that the front rails had been cut off ...and there was only about a three week window that I could have it there with my uncle helping on it...and I missed the first week...but got most of the frame mods , suspension and axles installed , including my uncle narrowing the dana 60 for me,...it was like them tv shows.. trying to rush to meet a deadline. As long as its done right and safe ,I don't mind .I do want to finish it and drive it ...before..you know.....I can't
    Sorry for going ot for a moment.... . 20210513_002552~2.jpeg 20210512_235705~3.jpeg 20210513_000703~2.jpeg 20210513_000841~2.jpeg 20210513_001526~2.jpeg 20210501_151621~3.jpeg 20210510_192735~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T307U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff, 35cab, Mike-model and 12 others like this.
  23. rudestude

rudestude

My brother just sent me these pics of a model he picked up at a garage sale for $2...it appears to be still sealed/unopened with a little box damage...not knowing if there's any damage to the contents...I offered him $2.50..he countered with a "its for you anyways ...keep your money" ...I excepted.
    Now I just got to go get it...4hrs round trip...not bad because he usually loads me up with a bunch of stuff.
    729~2.jpeg 728~3.jpeg 730~2.jpeg

kiwijeff, The 39 guy, 35cab and 8 others like this.
  24. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Nice kit. You owe him a lunch now.

25. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

$2.00? Hell, on ebay you couldn't buy that crinkled box for two frogskins. Good for you.

Let's see, now how're you gonna build it?

Anglia 2.jpg Anglia 3.jpeg Anglia 4.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Mike-model, rudestude and Deuces like this.
  26. IMG_1822.JPG

Just got started on a Black Widow 57 Chevy. It will be done up in full NASCAR livery.

27. rudestude

rudestude

Don't really know what direction it's going to go yet.....there's one on e bay $40...it will probably depend on what I find when I open it up.
    Never really have been a fan of Revell models, the older ones anyway, this one is a 1997 release it maybe different, it seemed like the opening doors , trunk and hood never seemed to fit right ,and alot of wasted detail IMO...and plastic seemed thin.
    I'm now waiting for another deal to finalize that will possibly change some of my builds.....in the way of having lots of parts.
    Theres a very cool story on how it come to be , I won't take up to much space with all the details of the story...so here's short version, person getting rid of the stuff and how I was connected with him through a third party that is a HAMB member and the person seeing my builds and liking what I could build using parts from others, and turns out we are all from the same town and he even lived on the same street as I did just years apart also I was his parents paper boy when I was 13 years old...and I had sold him a 50's? Fiat 500 15+ years ago.....crazy
    Oh ya the models ...he has been building model cars from when a kid till recently, now 70 and wanting to clean out his collection, apparently every model he has ever built , his count is around 3500 completed models ,and still has them...well he did, he has been selling them on ,you know, for the last 3 years or so , and not done yet, and what is going to be coming my way is all of the leftover parts and pieces and other stuff from all of his builds over all them years all packed in big boxes.......and apparently some original kit boxes also.......I got the PM giving me the info the same day I got out of the hospital.
    Thanks Mark for thinking of me and to Racecarchip for taking the time to get me connected with Mark...Thanks.
    Terry (aka Rudestude)

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  28. Mike-model

Mike-model

Moving further along with the brass FED. Motor has fuel lines and spark leads and a few small things. Zoomies will get final adjustment when the motor is complete, won't be much longer. -IMG_3906.jpg -IMG_3908.jpg -IMG_3910.jpg -IMG_3911.jpg

29. rudestude

rudestude

Once again Mike...."Perfection"
    If you had a different back ground in them shots, I'd swear that I was looking at the real thing....need a little squirt bottle sitting on top of the injector hat for effect..

Deuces and Mike-model like this.
  30. Mike-model

Mike-model

Last update before completion. Motor got the last touches, the unit just slips into the chassis and is held firmly in place with a small steel rod running through the chassis and block, fitting snugly against the firewall. Can be easily removed.
    Chute pack and belts added.
    This weekend I'll mount the front axle and body panels and wheels.....done!
    -IMG_3914.jpg -IMG_3915.jpg -IMG_3916.jpg -IMG_3917.jpg -IMG_3918.jpg -IMG_3919.jpg -IMG_3920.jpg -IMG_3921.jpg

Mike..

The 39 guy, tinsled, mchook and 14 others like this.