Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration ***Sunday Models***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fortypickup, Oct 23, 2011.

1. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

It is Sunday here...
    This model has a little history...a good freind gave it to me last week. His Dad built it in the 70s. He did a great job putting it together! It was a full fender 32 (1/8 scale) I decided to go in a different direction. I tore it apart and rebuilt it. The front wheel and tire were missing so I decided to build a jack and add a spindle and call it "Salt fix" or "Broke down at the Flats"

I made the jack from extra parts around the shop! I also turned the spindle down with a drill and sand paper! :D

[​IMG]

...more

[​IMG]

I woodgrained the dash!

[​IMG]

The role bar is 1/4 in brake line...oh and the steering wheel is wrapped with cut down electrical tape!

[​IMG]

Side view

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...the power plant! The radiator rods are steel rod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the side cover was made of alum siding and leather...

[​IMG]

...more engine

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

...and the underbelly...

[​IMG]

The break lines are steel rod as well as the gas line!

3. fat141

fat141

Can't compete with the class above, but here is one my buddy just finished. Hope you like
    Rod

[​IMG]

4. fat141

fat141

BTTT for the late starters
    Rod

5. miwi

miwi
    from Germany

Here some pictures of my latest one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Helmet air cleaner, cylinder heads, intake and Strombergs from Model Car Garage

[​IMG]
    Engine from 1937 Ford Pickup. The transmission is from Replicas Miniatures of Maryland

[​IMG]
    Exhaust made out of solder wire, Mufflers turned on my lathe like the drive shaft

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Pics from the September Showdown model contest.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    what scale are these cars?? That "T" and dragster are bad as hell!!

8. Those two are 1/8th scale. They are entirely scratchbuilt.

9. FortyPickup, I saw that interior pic on FAS...I thought it was a real car (LOL). Nice work!

10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

That blows me away, I used to do 1/8 about 12 years ago. Moved on to 1/1. High 5 to whoever built them.

11. flamingokid

flamingokid

Awesome stuff guys.I've got a few Hubley metal kits I'm going to start on this winter.This is just the inspiration I need.

12. noboD

noboD

You guys are as insane as always, excellant work.

13. Happy Sunday All: The new issue of Kustom & Hot Rod Models is available. It's issue #9. It has an article on flame painting. Also covers NNL East 2011, a custom T-bird, Bill Cushenbury's Silhouette and much more. Go to http://koolkat/magcloud.com to order. It's printed as ordered. Arrives in a few days. Worth the price in my opinion. Aaron Dupont

14. CruZer

CruZer

I just finished the Ivo dragster so I thought I'd add it to some of my other drag cars and take some pix.
    I hope you like them.
    I'm a hack compared to most of you guys. Your detailing is amazing.

Attached Files:

15. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Getting the need to do a model car or two this winter!
    They won't be as cool as the stuff you guys build but I'll do what I can.

16. dmikulec

dmikulec

This is ya'lls fault :D... I've been looking at these Sunday Models posts for so long now I got bitten by the bug. Went out and picked up a resin 1/25 model of my first car, a 63 Plymouth 4dr longroof. Then last week I scored a Johan 62 Chrysler parts kit to use in putting the wagon together. That and a hemi hood scope from a new Lindberg 64 Dodge kit and I'm be good to go. Plan on tackling it over the winter. :cool:

17. 33Tudor

33Tudor

The guys on the modeler's group on here have already seen these, but since I'm working on it again, I thought I'd show them. Hope to have it done soon.:D

Attached Files:

18. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

Thanks Man! I appreciate that!

Great stuff guys...lets see more!

19. abc123

abc123

Beautiful work, especially that 1/8" rod at the top with the jack and exposed spindle.

The H.A.M.B. has a plastic model group. Some of us are rushing to get our models of Bonneville racers done in time for the Nov. 1 deadline. A week or two later Lucio will post the entries on the main H.A.M.B. board for voting.

It's free to join:
    www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=105
    There are quite a few model-related topics there.

20. Neal the 32 looks great.

Here's an oddity post. The first shots of the "in progress" were take around 1997 with a
    cheap olympic digital or my Cannon 35mm and some bad lighting, not sure which. I
    came across the pics the other day and tried to clean them up as best I could in Photoshop.

The "after" shots were taken on a "new" Kodak model DC220 digital camera (c1998)
    Again tried to clean it up in Photoshop. Man the early digi-cams were crap.
    I'll get some better shots of the Ranchero some day.

I also thought, for fun, I'd share a couple other OT cars I did back in the mid to late 90's, also taken
    with a lesser camera...

Before; kitt bashed AMT Fairlane and Revell Elcamino. Those familiar with the old Revell kit will
    recall that the proportions of the cab are all wrong and the roof is chopped. They seem to have based
    it on a 4dr or wagon, not sure, but definitely not the 2dr ranch (300) wgn...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

21. Hot_Rod_Johnny

Hot_Rod_Johnny
    from Sweden

Damn, some good shit goin' on, nice to se all pics :)

I haven't spent much time lately and my "supposed weekend off" wasn't really off, had to do some work (as usual). I did at least have some time at the bench today with my 1962 Catalina drag racer, some WIP pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really hate to foil, but there is no way around it :(

C ya next Sunday!

22. These are the OTs This Monaco was built in 1980 as a Hi_po blown Hemi Drag racing cop car with huge slicks
    and 4 slot mags. It was bad ass... I was a geek...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is becoming a '77 Nebraska state Trooper (we had about a half dozen of them back then)
    Still a lot of detail work to do on this, like headlights that are more realistic, as an example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This "Imapla SS wagon was a bash using a 91 Taxi and the AlterNomad '94 wgn) I created the taillights using the fused plastic in the corners, lots of shaping and sanding and secrets...
    The rear bumper is a bunch od styrene stock 'laminated' and shaped.
    I need to get good 'after' shots... Also, I always thought Chevey should have opened the real wheels as on the sedan so I made the conversion for a true Impala SS look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

As I showed last Sunday, this is the WIP.

[​IMG]

This is a start on the frame assy.

[​IMG]

24. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

ebay pics 1461.jpg

I bought this cool bonneville racer off ebay ,Figured Id share ,I think it is rubberband propelled ........ Dated 1961 Hawk model company

ebay pics 1462.jpg

25. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Tasty stuff posted by all today..
    Many thanx!

26. Deuces

Deuces

Did ya have fun trying to get the trunk lid to sit right???:rolleyes:.... I have 3 of those AMT kits plus 2 of the stock version with the power pack 283... ;)
    I believe one of the "stock" kits comes with the Coke-a-Cola decals....

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  27. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

Lot of kick ass stuff guys.

28. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Those old HAWK Bonneville cars were great for scratch building. Since they are streamliners, you can change the scale with just an engine, and cockpit. Here's one I put an Allison in, and used the M/T Challenger canopy on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. oldschool55

oldschool55

miwi, great job on your Merc.

30. steveb

steveb

Great stuff, guys!

I've been working on my '49 Merc. lately.

The front seat in the AMT kit has a weird shape to it, & I wanted something that was shaped more like the real thing. The seat from the Revell kit has a good shape, but it's too wide at the bottom to fit in the AMT interior. I added styrene strips & superglue to the inner sides of the seat uprights & added lots of superglue on the inside of the seat bottom, mostly in those sharp corners. I also added styrene on the bottom sides of the seat to represent a seat frame, & lowered the seat a scale inch or so.

After quite a bit of sanding this is what it came out like. Kit seat on the right, modified on the left. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The seats will have tuck & roll inserts, so I started building up the outer edges with .020" styrene.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My good friend, Chuck Easton, turned me on to a technique he uses for tuck & roll inserts. He made molds of a couple of toneau covers from various kits, & then pours acrylic craft paint in the molds. After the paint has dried, you peel it out of the mold & cut it to shape.
    [​IMG]

This was my test attempt, & I think it came out pretty good. When it's time to do it for real, I'll take a little more time with the cuts.
    [​IMG]
    I used Anita's craft paint which is $0.69. One good thick layer is all it takes. As it dries, it thins out quite a bit. I tried some with several layers of paint, & the end result is thicker, but the added thickness is not really necessary. I also tried Folk Art craft paint & that one didn't work as well. I tried it again, thinning it with water, & it came out better, but still not as flexible as with Anita's paint. So, different brands will gove you different results. In the photos, the inserts are not glued in, but for final assembly, I'll use white glue. You can also sand the back side of the insert along the edges to thin it out & blend into the seat.

I also made the side window trim using .015" x .020" styrene strip. I would hold it in place & add small spots of Ambroid on the inside to hold it in place & move on around the rest of the frame. [​IMG]

When it was tacked in place all the way around, I came back & added superlue on the inside.
    [​IMG]