Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sun tach / transmitter questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moparsled, Feb 2, 2007.

1. I want to run a Sun two piece tach in my '50 Dodge, which still runs the flathead six and six volt positve ground electrical system.

After "researching" on ebay, it appears that there are two different 6 cyl/6 volt transmitters- EB-2A, and E-2. can anybody tell me if either of these two are, or are not, useable with positive ground?

I have seen, on some of the tachs, that they say "for use with EB or WBA series transmitters" does this mean that as long as the series matches, that the tach itself is not sensitive to the voltage, polarity, or cylinder count?

is there anything about the transmitter that would determine what rpm of tach I would match it to? Likely back then a 3500 or 4000 tach was plenty, but my eventual new motor will be capable of more, so I've been thinking towards a 5000 or 6000

I'd kinda like to hit about a '53 to '55 build style/year on the car, what style of tach should I be looking for? the external light ones are really cool, but seem a bit early, and the "football" tach seems a bit late, any hints?

2. ray

ray
    from colorado

hey go to bed, you gotta work tomorrow!

i got a couple of transmitters sitting around, but never hooked one up yet. ya suppose you could just switch the pos and neg terminals around? the transmitter is isolated from ground because of the plastic case. i don't know about the tach itself, but it wouldn't be too hard to isolate it from ground too if need be. it seems i recall to make an ol sparkomatic radio work on a pos ground car you'd just mount it on wood or something non conductive.

you going to the swap meet this weekend? there is usually a guy there from Iowa who has a ton of old gauges and senders that may have what you need. last year i got a NOS set of greenlines from him.:)

3. phat rat

phat rat

It doesn't matter about the ground. The only hook-up to the electrical system is to the dizzy

4. LORYDER

LORYDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This should help you out.
    The paper work for them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG].
    [​IMG]

Pm me if you want them bigger and l can e-mail them to you.

5. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

loryder, PM sent!

just picked my sending unit up off of evilbay and got pretty lucky, it looks like it's in great shape internally with nice set of points and no battery corrosion as someone removed them.

6. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

The football tachs are from '57-58 I think. I have a 5k one in my coupe. The transmitter itself needs to be grounded. I usually ground it to one of the mounting bolts. I've been running two AA batteries in mine for the last 2 years with no troubles. (same batteries, I just take them out in the winter and put them in the glove box.)

7. thanks for the info guys! There sure seems to be alot of interest in these old tachs here lately (look at the article on the main page today!) but they seem to be a bit of lost art in the mainstream. I'll post pics when I score the parts.