Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sun Engine Performance Tester- info please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54fordgasser, Jul 25, 2009.

1. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

This is my new Sun machine I picked up real cheap from a friend who bought out an old used car lot any info would be great. I dont know if it works yet i just cleaned it up and covered it cause i am completely out of room in the shop. It was full of distributor caps and coils so im sure it was put to use at some point :) I think its from the mid to late 60's because of an article i have in an old cars and parts. Unfortunatly the base is not matching (not quite wide enough) but it is the same vintage.
    [​IMG]

2. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

Here is the base
    [​IMG]

3. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Yep we had one of those in the dealership I worked in. Was there when I got there in 1964 and was still in use in 1973. Was supposed to be the "cats ass" in it's day. Checked a bunch of stuff like, vacuum, dwell, rpm, advance, could change the advance, checked vacuum advance. The built in oscilloscope checked how well the plugs were working, you could isolate each individual plug also.

4. Larry T

Larry T

The scope will tell if a plug is not firing (and on which cylinder) and also show if any of the plug wires are bad. You can also kill individual cylinders with it, which will show what cylinder is missing (bad compression) even if the plugs and wires are ok.

The first "real" job I had was at a auto electric shop that bought a Sun machine like this the day I went to work. That was in 1965 or 1966.
    Larry T

5. Got one of them at home just like it. Works great on the "older" cars. Do you have manuals? I've got some if you need copies.

6. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

Ive got one manual i havent really started looking at it though cause unfortunatley i have no room and am in the middle of tearing my Galaxie apart. I love these things and have been wanting one forever. Now i just need to figure out how to work it one of these days. Got any pics??
    if i post a picture of the vin plate could anybody tell me dates?

thanks for the info
    Casey

7. Larry T

Larry T

I'm gonna guess it's early 70's. It's a little different than the mid 60'd one I learned on.
    Larry T