Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Summitt extra ordering fees

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirt car, Dec 1, 2021.

1. dwollam

dwollam

I just ordered a steering wheel from Summit yesterday and the checkout informed me for XX of dollars more I would get free shipping. Since the wheel was for my '32 Sedan, I searched for 1932 Ford and went through 45 pages of stuff, many of it repeating over and over. I was shocked to see Helix brake pedals and assemblies and other Helix brand stuff. I have heard and seen some of the Helix junk but is it all terrible? If junk, why are reputable companies pedaling it?

BTW, I did get free shipping.

Dave

2. Fordors

Fordors

It’s simple really, some people strictly shop price and and Summit and many other firms will offer a selection at different price points.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    Just Gary likes this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Helix stuff allows a higher markup, for a better profit margin. The profit margin is high enough that it more than covers returns.

It is all about sales volume.

I have cut apart Helix control arms. I was prompted to do this when I discovered how heavy they were. I found that they were heavy wall seamed pipe, not finished wall tubing. The weld penetration was about half-way through.

Would they have failed? Maybe not. I cannot trust maybe.

4. With the extinction of the local speed shop, I feel incredibly fortunate to have a Summit location 20 minutes from me. No more waiting days for that part to finish the job. Order it on my phone for pickup and hit the road to get it.

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I have never ordered anything from Summit.

6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Well there's still time!

Beanscoot likes this.