Register now to get rid of these ads!

Summit carbs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koolkat269, Mar 1, 2012.

1. koolkat269

koolkat269

OK, everyone, I am wondering who has used these carbs. What are the good and bad about them?

2. Personally I'd rather run a Holley carb than a Horrey carb.

While I don't have any experience with these carbs, I have run one of their chinese knock-offs of an Edelbrock Performer intake and was not impressed. It looked chintzy, had multiple sealing issues, bolt holes were all just a little off/crooked. After six months, I finally threw it in the recycling bin with the used Budweiser cans and bolted up a swap meet Edelbrock manifold.

3. koolkat269

koolkat269

Oh wow, yeah that's good to know.

4. They work fine.

5. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I've never understood folks like this....Summit has an outstanding return policy...even if they won't give you a refund they'll give you credit....

That said while I cannot speak for the carb....I have bout some summit branded ignition parts....popped open the box and was staring at name brand (mallory) stuff....same with a cam for a beater mobile I was flipping...it ended up being a crane.

6. thehazguy

thehazguy

Bought the combo manifold and 600 cfm carb w/vac secondaries. Runs good, no issues yet and have run it at the track numerous times. Good luck.

7. roadster1923

roadster1923
    from Girard PA

Purchased a 780 cfm and air gap manifold for a 383 SBC 18 months ago. We had to change the jets (can't remember the number) and the accel pump to a 50cc for an off idle stumble. It is a very tunable carb and tech support from Summit was great. I haven't had a problem since.

8. captmullette

captmullette

i got one, it runs fine, they're a redesign of a holley, uses holley jets a nd parts

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

And buying this shit is what's killing the people who paid the freight for R&D to build it to begin with.
    Dave

10. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

They are simply recastings of the Holley 4010 series which were introduced in the late eighties.

Based on the Autolite 4100 series FoMoCo 4 barrels.

Good operating carbs.

11. derpr

derpr

I have one and have not have any issues. they have alot of extras that the 4010 didn't have. I have also seen those intakes and would not recomend those to anyone.

12. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Almost bought a Horrey, but went with a Holley. :)

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Damn good street carbs, way ahead of their time. Same operating window as the Edelbrock AFB clones, head and shoulders better. And you arent taking anything away from holley, they dropped that design years ago. The market wasnt ready for it at the time, IMO.

14. Remember that Summit does not manufacture anything.The usually buy in volume from known manufactures at a discounted rate which enables them to sell at a lower price.As Salty said above I have ordered items with the Summit brand and was shipped name brand items.Based on my experience and their return policy I wouldn't be afraid to try one of their carbs.

15. captmullette

captmullette

really??

16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I put one on the 460 in my motorhome. No problems with it so far.

17. johnwcrowleys

johnwcrowleys

I bought a rebuilt Q-jet from summit. Bolt on and go, no issues. Reasonable price, and Very Fast Shipping as well.

18. bgaro

bgaro

i got a re-man edelbrock carb from summit and works AOK.

19. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

i have a 750 on my car, no issues. Recommend

20. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

X2 Its called free market and If people want the buy a carb made by Holley they still can.

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've got two friends running the new Summit carb and both like them a lot.

22. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I put a 600 vac secondary on a 350 Chevy and it ran good out of the box.

23. I have one of the original Holleys in this version. I heard that Holley sold the design so they aren't really a knock off but just manufactured by another company. I think its the best carb I have used in years for a street car.Its been on two different cars so far and I haven't done a thing to it.

24. 26 roadster

26 roadster

My brother is running one on his 383 stroker, claims he got 6 more MPG and does as good as the Edelbrock he took off. Summit said if he didn't like the look or performance, drain the gas and send it back.

25. charlieb66

charlieb66

Even notice that there is always someone who will post negative about foreign made autoparts. They should look at the "made in" sticker on the computer they are posting from and the many other items they use everyday. I can't "hipocrit".

26. carmanspd

carmanspd
    from Spokane

If I hadn't found a real nice 4100 core I would be running one of these for sure. Great design and very efficient.

27. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

I don't have one, but I like the removable top...

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The original shooter holes are WAY small in the old holley versions. Just drill them and test with a number drill set till the stumble goes away. Once you do that, they are a really good carb.

29. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

No kidding, Last I looked my laptop and digital camera did not say made in Detroit.