Register now to get rid of these ads!

Summit Carbs good or bad ?http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/images/icons/icon5.g

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poss51kustom, Aug 28, 2013.

1. poss51kustom

poss51kustom
    from ohio

Has anyone had any experience with the " summit racing " brand of

carbs ? they look similar to Holleys. Are they imports, or usa made ?

any comments, good or bad, will be appreciated. Thanks

2. 327Eric

327Eric

I don't know where there made, but I have had mine on my car for almost 3 years, trouble free. It is a 750 cfm, electric choke.

3. They bought the tooling from Holley - it was a style of carb that Holley no longer wished to manufacture .....

4. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

I have them ( I have the 600 CFM with elect choke) on my 64 Falcon and now on my 67 IH Scout 800- they work great and for the price they were the first "brand new" carbs I could ever afford- I have not had any problems with 'em- so far(been a couple of years and a couple thousand miles on my Falcon) they look good and for me were easy to set and forget-and Don's right- they have Holley innards and spare parts-I have been pretty happy with them imho-

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

They weren't great sellers the first time around, I dont think the market was ready for them. Holley guys werent ready to accept change. The first few runs also had integral accelerator pump shooters that weren't large enough, that didnt help either.
    IMO, as street carb, they are vastly better than the re-hashed afb's Edelbrock peddles. An excellent annular booster, and top-loader design.

6. I bought a 600 cfm for the 302 in my 56 Ford. The first one had a horrible whistle just off idle and a leaky butterfly. I sent it back and got another one. It had the whistle too, right where you use the throttle to cruise. Couldn't stand it so sent it back and ordered a Holley. Summit told me they must have gotten a bad batch of carbs.
    All in all, I think the Summit performed better than the Holley but I couldn't get past the whistle.

7. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Those carbs are butt ugly!! :cool:

8. powrshftr

powrshftr

They are Holley's version of the Ford Autolite 4100.
    I agree with FalconGeorge 100%.It was a case of bad timing...the Holley guys just weren't ready for anything "outside the box".The Autolite 4100 was just about the best carburetor ever built,by the way...

9. SimonSez

SimonSez

I brought one of the original Holley 4011's in the early nineties and it was fine apart from an off-idle stumble caused by the shooters being too small (as George mentioned).

Once I got that sorted it was fine and ran really well for the next couple of years until I sold the car.

As long as the Summit version is made to a decent quality level, it should be fine.