Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods summit 2k urethene primer surfacer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolieman, Dec 2, 2014.

1. coolieman

coolieman

Hello, I have a gallon of this primer and I have used it to block sand my project now I am running short of time and have a few spots to touch up before base coat. It says on the instructions to spray 2/3 coats and then it can be top coated in 15 mins or up to 18 hrs without any more prep. has anyone used urethane this way without waiting to dry and sand, I think I have read that you can do that with epoxy but haven't heard of this with urethane Thanks,mike

2. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

The product information sheet is the best source of instructions for the product.
    2/3 coats of anything other than light base color coats or light sealer coats is too much product to top coat in 15 min. Force dry maybe ok. 15 minutes may not allow the solvents to escape.

3. In reading the product information sheets I can find online I do not see anywhere where it says it can be top coated in 15 minutes. It mentions a 15 minute flash time which is the time between coats of the same product not top coat. It says sand time in 3-4 hours. It then says after it has been levelled, which would indicate it has cured for at least the required time to sand, it can be topcoated up to 18 hours without resanding. Unless there is a different info sheet out there it cannot be topcoated in 15 minutes.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/2k primers.pdf

4. coolieman

coolieman

5. coolieman

coolieman

Thanks to both of you I read data sheet and you are correct I also thought that was a lot of material in a short time but the CAN DIRECTIONS clearly says can be top coated in 15 mins as I stated however it doesn't say that in tech sheet just needed a second opinion. I do need to find something for sand thru spots and small repairs so I don't have to reprime whole car I don't know what last person used on car but I keep getting spots that are wrinkling under base I may have to stripe and seal whole car ,Mike

6. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

hate to have to see you strip the whole car now. sounds like you should have done that in the first place, but your past that now with time restraints. get a gallon of epoxy primer and seal the whole car with that. just put a put a couple of light coats on your problem areas first letting it flash off good between coats, before you coat the whole car. it should keep the lifting down. if needed, use a heat gun on the problem areas by fanning the heat from about 8 inches away from the surface. take your time with this process and you should be fine.

tcoupekyle likes this.