Register now to get rid of these ads!

Summer of 69!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kens 50 PU, Jul 16, 2010.

1. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Sorry Guys ,,i got off the track ,,old age i guess ,,lol,,lol,,

2. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

Wasn't that about the time that they started taking God out of everything? No more "Pledge of Allegiance," Everybody "Do your own thing." @Mazooma1... no more politics from me, but back in the day, one would ever consider using the "F" word in a public forum, or in print, they hadn't foreseen the rise of the internet with all of it's "Genie out of the bottle" ramifications. Now it's anything goes, for the time being, until the thought police can put a filter on it to catch all those people who disagree.

3. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

what a thrill it was when we touched down on the moon.m I was watching the landing at a friends house and just about two minutes before touchdown on the Moon, I ran outside to look down the street where there was a four lane highway....I was right....not one car...I stood there for 30 seconds and not one car anywhere...everybody was watching TV...I got back in the house with a minute to spare...

Two weeks later everyone was shook back into reality again, at least here in the Los Angeles area, when those awful murders took place over a period of hours in the Hollywood Hills. Nobody could believe that anyone could be so brutal and attack total strangers, all the while trying to start a race riot.
    Charles Manson still remains the poster boy for crazy, awful "people" worldwide....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Gerry Moe;;; Thanks for that video ,,"Right On Man" !!!

6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Yeah, I know....a few movies by 1969 had foul language. I saw my first bare breasts in a film in '68 with "Rosemary's Baby". I was with my girlfriend, and have to admit being kind of embarrassed. In real life a bare boob was one thing but a boob the size of a Volkswagon on a big screen was something I wasn't prepared for.
    In 1969, you still didn't swear in front of your parents, the cops, older people, or for me...even people my own age that I didn't know. I'd cuss, but only around my friends.

My target year for everything going to hell here is 1970. I have my reasons but won't spoil the show by getting off-topic...

7. Truckedup

Truckedup

A year out of the Army,bought a 69 Dodge Super B,had a good job,girls,and all that.A bunch of my friends went to Woodstock but I had little interest in it for whatever reasons.I heard stories of what a shit hole Woostock was,no food,no water,no place to shit. Then the press made a huge deal out of it and the same people who put it down bragged how they were there.I had long hair but couldn't stand most hippies with their bullshit peace attitude and free loading.I did like Hippie women,at least the ones who bathed .

8. Deuces

Deuces

That bottom picture reminds me of George Carlin........ It can't be! :eek:

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Unfortunately George is dead and this jerk is still alive.
    One made us laugh and the other made us mad

10. You didn't atach this comment to any post, so I wonder who it's aimed at?:confused:

11. Cross Rodder

Cross Rodder

I was only 4 yeras old, so can only remember a few events that grabed me. My Dad's 68 Road Runner. Still my favorite car with the most fond memories. Red, 383 magnum, 4 speed, black interior, big black Plymouth sticker on rear fenders over the rear tires. I learned some new colorful words that summer watching my Dad & Uncle install the new Hooker Headers in the driveway. I remember standing on the back seat with my sisters holding onto the front seat back rests. Dad would stab the throttle and throw us back into the rear seat on our butts. We would laugh our selves silly stand up and do it over and over again.

Great times!

12. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah! Ain't it a shame??? :(

13. Deuces

Deuces

Ditto on the colorful words.... I'm sure we all use those while working on our toys.. :D In fact, I've probably made up some new ones along the way... LOL :)

14. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

My brand new '69 SS396 on a mountain top over looking Anchorage Alaska,,"Summer of '69 ",,notice my ,then ,,wife and her matching orange outfit ,,
    [​IMG]

15. Deuces

Deuces

You order that car with the Magnum 500's???

16. Oh yeah, it was a different world back then. For some of you vets, remember we had to wear our uniforms when travelling? Well it wasn't in '69 for me but the anti military/anti soldier stuff was brewing bigtime. I recollect coming to Detroit Metro on leave from South Carolina. I was Air Force & rode the flight next to a Marine who I think just got back to the world. We were both in uniform. Walked in the terminal & were met with some candle-sellin' cultists or whatever they were, and some jerks calling us bad names & spitting toward us (missed). I thought the Marine was gonna commence to come unglued. I kinda talked at him and fortunately he chilled.

As I said - it was a different world. . .

17. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Those ain't Magnum 500's ,,they are Factory Chevelle SS Wheels ,,part of the SS Option Trim Package ,,order a SS Chevelle ,,the Wheels came with it ,,

18. kruizin

kruizin

1969, well I was 14 , the cops had towed my second car away cause I didnt have a liceince or insurance, the first car was a 57 Chevy 4 door paid 15 bucks for it and the second was a 61 Pontiac convert that I traded my electric guitar and trainer amp for, parents had thrown me out cause I was a wild child..lol..and it was easier to drive a car than carry the guitar and amp around...It was a life changing year for me, and ironicly I have owned 69 cars and trucks since that year....

19. And of course we can't forget "Easy Rider" and the influence of that movie worldwide.
    Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper etc... great movie...

20. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Let me clarafy ,,that was in '69 the first year for those Factory SS Wheels ,the '68 SS package didn't come with those wheels,,they had Rally Wheels ,, ,,but the '70 SS Chevelles hadem,,, ,

21. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU

"Get your motor runnin', head out on the highway! Lookin' for adventure in whatever came our way". My favorite Steppenwolf song!

Speaking of movies...what movie do ya'll think best captured the Vietnam era?

22. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

i was 10 years old ,had a go-cart with a 63 vette body on that the old man had the front jacked up so the tires would'nt rub " my gasser problem now",a mini bike with a apple crate gidder front end ,go-cart axel in the rear & 4ft high sissy bar with a peace sign on top " custom bike problem" had just joined the record of the month club with my mowing money steppenwolf,ccr,doors,man did the parents magnavox every crank "my hearing loss",spending july at my cousins house going to the sprint car races to watch my uncle race fri & sat "still have that bad", watching the nightly news seeing nam,alta mount,the protests thinking i can't wait to get older, now 51 & i wish i was that kid again !!! might just have to get out an old lp & throw on the turn table & slip away for a bit !!! sokkie sokkie sue

23. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

My Fav Steppenwolf song is "Magic Carpet Ride" like so much ,,I painted that name on the quarters of my '78 GMC FWD Motor Home ,,
    [​IMG]

24. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Kens 50 PU;; there's several Nam pics i like ,,not sure which captures the Nam era the best ,,Full Metal Jacket was good ,,there was another one like FMJ ,but can't remember the name ,,but ,,my all time faverete Nam Movie is Apocolypse Now ,,gotta be the best ,,but i'm sure sumone will have a different view ,,

25. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

DUECES; the only wheel options in a '69 SS 396 Chevelle trim package was either 14 inch or 15 inch SS wheels ,,mine had the 15 x 7's ,,and Uniroyal Wide Oval Tires,, 2 ply -4 ply rated ,,they were junk tires ,,but pretty soft compound so they hooked up pretty good on the street ,,but when i went down the Al-Can hi way ( 1400 miles of gravel ) ,in fall of '69 ,,going home to Iowa ,,those Wide Ovals didn't last to Vancouver ,,i had two spare BFG's in the trunk ,but had many flats with thos Uniroyals along the way ,,i had to buy two new tires in Vancouver ,,,BFG's ,,threw the Uniroyals in the trash ,,ran the 4 BFG's the rest of the 2000 mile trip home ,,

26. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

DUECES: here's a '70 SS Chevelle with those Factory SS Wheels ,,
    [​IMG]

27. Deuces

Deuces

Those are called Magnums 500's.... All the BIG 4 had those for their Muscle cars.... They looked a little different for each brand, but still called Magnum 500's... '66-'69 Dodge Chargers had theirs, Ford Mustangs, Bosses, GT's, Mach 1's Torino GT's, Buick GS, '69 GTO Judge..etc,etc.... Chevelles, Novas and Camaro Super Sports....... I'll look up a site that carries repros and post them here...

28. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Well,,Only Chevelles came with em ,,Novas and Camaros NEVER came with em ,they had their own wheel options ,,GTO's and Buick Gran Sports had a similar wheel ,but from G M ,,PLUS ,,Magnum 500 was a patened company name ,,G M didn't buy their wheels from Magnum ,.,Ford & MOPAR did tho ,,you could buy Magnum 500's from your local speed shop ,BUT the Chevelle SS Wheels could only be bought from the local Chevy Dealer ,,

29. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

There is alota companys making repos today ,,but Magnum didn't make the G M SS Wheels back in the day ,,

30. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Today ,,you can buy those repo SS wheels from Jegs ,,Summitt ,,Speedway ,,Heck ,even J C Whitney has em ,,but back in '69-'70 and thru out the '70's ,,they could only be had from a G M Dealer,,Not from Magnum ,,
    Every one called em Magnum 500's back then ,,but Magnum 500 was a generic name for wheels that looked like those ,,