Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Suicide front end geometry

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by george.barnes.754, Oct 30, 2017.

1. So I'm drawing up the frame for my 27 T Touring Lizzie. I decided I want to do a suicide front end and coilovers in the rear. I just scored a 46" wide, 4" drop I beam and a set of reproduction split wishbones off ebay. Other than I know I need 29-48 ford spindles, and a 5x5.5" disk brake kit for same (gonna narrow an 80s truck rear end and make it work) but this is where my knowledge of such things ends. I want to do the spring behind or suicide front end on it. Can anybody give me an idea of what else I need and some pointers on building the front of my frame to work? As far as spring perch and where my wishbones will need to mount and such?

2. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

Spindles need to be '39-'48, not '29. Reconsider having the tie rod in front of the axle, Ackerman principle is a bear to deal with, behind the axle, no problem.

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You could take a look at my build thread to see how I did mine.
    Lots of pages and pictures but it's all there.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/26-t-roadster-pick-up-build-thread.460009/

4. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

definitely have a steering damper on the front end - you don't want a dead man's shimming/

5. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

I did a chassis a couple years back and found a lot of good info searching google and I saved a lot of the information. If I can find it I'll post it for you

6. I'd appreciate it

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

7. For that matter where does the panhard bar mount?

8. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Disc Brakes???... Coilovers???. Whats happening around here??? Geeeze :D;)

9. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

A panhard bar is best attached to the frame on the drivers side of the vehicle.
    It does not have to be that way, but IMHO as I am on a mission to set a standard or should I say a preferred orientation for Panhard bars.
    It does not really matter if you are using side steering, but things can change during a build or even during a rebuild years later. I run a front and rear Panhard bar with cross steering and that is why I offer this orientation.
    With a front bar it needs to be attached on the same chassis rail as the steering box and similarly a rear bar should be attached on the same side. The belief is that opposite opposed bars will cause a scissor effect during exaggerated suspension movement which could mean the difference between staying on the road or going off it.
    I believe if set up like that what ever is considered at a later date will be able to accommodate steering changes.

Similarly in my view there is a correct and a incorrect side to install a dead spring perch should anybody be considering such an item.
    I realise that is not part of your current build needs, so I will end there...

pitman likes this.
  10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I also snuck a panhard bar into my build, but then of course if you looked at the pictures you would know that. ;) :D

Bandit Billy likes this.
  11. pitman

pitman

Chime in guys, possible to use (bottomed out) shock travel limit to prevent scrub-line issues? (No steer when main leaf breaks).

12. I started too but with a 140+ page thread I haven't got very far yet

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

With my setup, the lower front shock mount is right above the spring mount on the wishbone so if the spring breaks it won't drop much at all.

15. Blue, do I need to lean my front spring perch on the frame forward or back any in relation to the rails? The plans I have (which aren't the best I'm sure) show it parallel to the frame but it's a standard perch. I ordered the lowered one from Speedway (I can't fab a perch and buy U bolts for $40).

16. I figured I should probably throw a few photis of where I sit with the car as of now. Only thing I've done to it is tok it off the trailer and started hunting parts. Believe it'll have a 4.3 Chevy V6 out of a 94 pickup hooked up to a 4 or 5 speed manual trans though.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]