Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods suggestions on how to drop the back of '34 coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by general gow, Aug 2, 2011.

1. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i am in the process of swapping the front crossmember to a Model A to get the front end down. that and a reversed eye main leaf will be good for where i want it.

but the rear is still way to high. when i look at 34s that i really like, for instance, the forbes' roadster and 5w coupe, they have been modified with model A rear members and both have a 2 inch channel.

i ain't channeling mine. and i don't want to cut out the crossmember for an A in the rear.

so, can i pie cut mine to get a decent drop?

what say you?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  2. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I'm wondering the same for my '33 truck. I'm planning to pie-cut my rear crossmember to get the desired drop. Seems like a relatively simple way to go.

3. alchemy

alchemy

I used a flattened spring in a full-fendered 32 and it has a decent 50's stance. Not "modern low", but acceptable.

34's have an even flatter crossmember and higher kick to the framerails than a 32, so I'd think a flattened spring would give you a nice stance as well.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You also will need a set of 18 inch bias ply on there. That will help tremendously. :)

5. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

alchemy- i absolutely do not want 'modern low.' high is the new low, just not too high...

my front end will not have a dropped axle, only the drop from the A member transplant, and a reversed eye. the rear needs to be a low that matches that.

petejoe- i know, i know. the 15s aren't helping me at all. i was thinking a set of 17" wires would look awesome. but, i digress, cuz despite this being the nicest '34 body i have ever seen, it's actually quite a budget build.

6. How much drop can you get if you flatten the crossmember. Looks like a few inches at least.

7. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

yeah, and i really only want 3 or so.

the question now is, how do i cut it?

8. I could make a crued MS paint photo for you.

It should basically be the same as flattening a 40 rear crossmember.

9. BlockBuster

BlockBuster
    from SEMass

Let me consult my neighbor. He had a bitchin' '34 he let go awhile back. Better yet, come on over sometime soon and we can ask him together.

10. Wallingford Graphic Design (tm)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  11. As you pie cut and flatten it you will have to take a slice out of the middle or else you will be pushing your frame rails outward.

12. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

rob, if i cut it like hitchhiker shows, with V on the outside and ^ in the middle, those cuts will offset each other and maintain proper width, no?

i'll brace the frame rails with some bar stock top and bottom so the relationship between them doesn't change.

i think i should be good.

13. I was wondering about that. but I'm not sure. I'm no rocket scientist. There is probably a math formula to figure it out.

but I might take it out of both sides by the frame rails if I had too.....

Either way I would put a temp crossmember across to keep it from moving.

General are you going to remove the crossmember or do it in place?

14. They should offset each other. Brace it like you said and work it up slowly. I didn't notice his v cuts were opposite till I looked at the pic again.

15. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i just got off the phone with nosurf, and he pretty much confirmed the opposing pie cut idea.

i really want to do it in the frame, so that i can retain the original rivets. i think i can do it. and if i chicken out on welding it together myself, i'll bribe someone with my fridge full of beer.

16. Berky

Berky

17. As long as the pie cut isn't to small I think it will work.

18. I think it's perfectly doable in frame. It may be a little more difficult, but I can understand your desire to keep the rivets. I'm riveting my Model A subrails back together....It's a pita. I'm buying a nice clean body next time.

19. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

How about simply having a shorter and flatter reversed eye main leaf made instead of butchering the crossmember.

20. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

berky, that's a great link. thanks.

is there a way for a mathematically challenged guy to figure out how much drop i will get based on the width of the cuts?

21. Berky

Berky

Run a bar across the frame and measure to the current spring mount area. I think its about a 4" drop.

22. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

well, it's a timeless method and when done well, i would hardly call it butchering...

and a reverse eye main leaf is only going to give me an inch.

this will give me 4, easy.

23. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i understand that, but how wide should the cuts be to get there?

24. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Re read what I said ….. Key word “shorter” / less arch ….. You could lower it as much as you want.

(On my 35 w a 9” and welded on hangers.)
    I simply flattened the spring and welded the hangers on further apart.

With stock hanger just get a shorter flatter main leaf.

I just think its better not to cut and weld crossmembers ever….. seen a lot of uncut ones cracked.

25. alchemy

alchemy

Stop cutting! Did you not read my post? You can lay the frame on the axle by just flattening out that spring. Take it apart, hammer each leaf between two large steel chunks, then put it back together. Not low enough? Do it again. (search the tech archives for posts with pics of the process)

Sheesh. ;)

PS: It doesn't take a math wizz to see that if you notch the crossmember as you have drawn, that the crossmember's length will grow. You WILL need to narrow it.

26. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

27. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I just did it the old way and made my own 4" shackles just like they used to do it.

[​IMG]

Just in case someone thinks it will make the handling.scarey.

28. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Don't cut the crossmember. Just flatten the spring like Alchemy said.

I also have some concerns about using an "A" front crossmember in a 34. I think you are going to run into issues with your radiator. If you put such a flat crossmember in there, you won't have any room for your lower hose to meet up with the lower tank. Plus if you simply weld it in with the top of the "A" crossmember flat against the top of the 34 rail, the spring angle will be off a few degrees. You'll need to take that into account when setting it up.

29. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'm going to splice in a section of a Model A frame like they did on the So-Cal or Pierson coupe. And if that's not a good idea, I'll flatten the crossmember like many said.

30. Why couldnt you get some longer U bolts made at your local spring shop and cut some 2 X 2 square and throw in between the spring and your hanger?