Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Suggestions on frame paint.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Apr 2, 2018.

1. evintho

evintho

Getting ready to paint the roadster frame. I plan to go with a darker silverish color. I only have two requirements..................cheap and durable! Should I go with single stage or basecoat/clearcoat. Looking for suggestions on type, brand and where to get it. Thanks!

2. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

Rustoleum with Catalyst.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Silverish, as in metallic?

Good luck with that....you're going to spend some money to get good paint. From an auto paint supplier.

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

Me? For a cheap driver paint that will hold up, I would buy tractor paint. Look around.......you can get a gallon for $20-$30. I've painted engines with the stuff before.

Nailhead Jason likes this.

5. roundvalley

roundvalley

Here in Idaho, you can have it powder coated cheaper than paint.

LM14 likes this.
  6. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

Use the tractor store paint with the hardener, thin it out till it flows nice. Call it done.

7. indyjps

indyjps

Tractor paint is cheap enamel, covers well, durable, forgiving. Use it with valspar enamel hardener and acetone.
    You can use better enamel thinners and hardeners to control temp range if you prefer.

https://www.paintforcars.com this is about the cheapest auto based paint out there. Coverage durability UV protection are all concerns with cheap paint.

You get what you pay for, I understand not all projects are destined for PPG paint. Getting the rust removed and neutralized is the biggest thing, any time Ive just used a wire brush/wire wheel its come back to haunt me, needs to be blasted or acid etched to kill the rust before paint.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Nailhead Jason likes this.
  8. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I use single stage because it hold up better over time but base clear on metallic. I have used Por15 on frames that have been rusty with good luck.

9. evintho

evintho

Thanks for the replies! Yep, this ain't a show car......it's a hot rod driver. The frame is 2"x3" steel and all handmade. The frame will be blasted this weekend.
    Kind of a cluttered pic but it gives you an idea................

[​IMG]

There's a John Deere dealer nearby. Would they carry a silver metallic color? Don't recall ever seeing too many silver tractors! Just lookin' for ideas here.

10. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

Massey Ferguson Tractors had Silver.

tractorguy likes this.
  11. If you are building a show car two stage is what you want. If you are building a driver single stage is good enough.

If I were using a spray gun or a brush I would use catalyzed urethane, but Rustoleum works good too. If I was looking for rattle can paint I have had good luck with Krylon or Dupli-color. Or if you got time to wait for it to cure Rustoleum makes a nice tough urethane in a rattle can but it take a while to cure.

12. indyjps

indyjps

13. indyjps

indyjps

Oops youre in CA. TCPglobal is 2.8 VOC, better call and clarify what the can ship to you.

14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I used some Commercial paint that I bought from Sherwin Williams store on a trailer. Worked good , was cheap, trailer still looks good after 12 years of setting outside. Bones

15. evintho

evintho

Thanks for the link! I looked around on the site and I'm kinda leaning toward this color................
    http://www.tcpglobal.com/s.nl/it.A/id.225408/.f#.WsQ7OYjwbIU

I noticed some of the lacquers have the "Will not ship to California" label. Further down this page it says 'This paint is 2.8 VOC and can be used anywhere". I'll definitely call and check.
    I was wondering if I can get away with a quart instead of a gallon? Also, what type of primer should I use? It's been 30 years since I sprayed paint. Times have changed!

16. evintho

evintho

Evil Emery likes this.
  17. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Check into powder coat. I used to get my dirt late model and modified frames blasted and coated for around $350. Couldn't buy the paint and supplies for what they powder coat for.
    SPark

18. Remember where we are at....... Not everything is all peachy in the golden state......... Keep the bashing aside plz, so this won't get axed....... We're looking at at least $ 800 for someone who's slow and hungry...... Normally, a G, and that's without extra pieces.......