Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suggestions for Handicapped Mods/Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimInrADFORDva, Dec 24, 2012.

1. JimInrADFORDva

JimInrADFORDva

The Christmas season threw me a curve ball this year. I walked into the hospital with a slight limp and left without the use of my legs. Surprised doesn't begin to cover it.

With plenty of thoughtful time on my hands, I was pondering a road trip with my 17 year-old son. I'l like to do a Rt.66/Tour of America with him in a vintage 60's vehicle.

I have no projects in the hopper and was looking for suggestions as to the base vehicle and useful mods. For example, I thought that suicide rear doors might make it easier to fold and stow the wheelchair from the driver's seat.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions, as long as one of the isn't "Stay the hell home."

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

2. Look here. It IS spelled that way on the thread.
    Great attitude.
    Good luck. I wanted to do a Metro delivery van for my son and paint it like a customized mail truck, logo: DELIVERING THE MALE.

Disabled Drivers of Hotrods and customs, cars setup with Hand Controlls

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244958

Attached Files:

• van.jpg
      van.jpg
      File size:
      10.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  3. jalopy45

jalopy45

4. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Kripfink's panel is set up pretty awesomely. Check it out if you haven't.

5. Guy here in San Diego has a Chevy Suburban with a rear entrance ramp.
    Front wheel drive Cad North Star.
    Sorry I can't find the photos of his Hot Rod.
    Its nice.
    Marry Christmas

6. Gator

Gator

Hit up Kripfink here on the HAMB - he's the man to talk to...

7. JimInrADFORDva

JimInrADFORDva

Thanks, folks. Lots of good stuff here.

8. ken bogren

ken bogren

Doors... suicide doors might be well better than rear hinged.

Probably not real related, but my wife uses a large fold up walker (the kind with a folding seat) and it goes into the back seat of our 63 Falcon convertible easier than into the back seat of our OT 4 door pickup truck. The thing is way too big to fit in the Falcon trunk, but slides right into the back seat even with the top up. With the top down we just flip it over the side.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I've know a paraplegic hot rodder for about 40 years. He's had more cars than me!!! I don't know the details but he has always been able to have each car fitted with hand controls. It might be hard to find the parts at first but once you find a source it will be pretty easy. One was a Model A roadster survivor from the 50s. He likes P/Us so he can swing the wheel chair up into the bed. It will be a big adjustment but you will figure it out.

10. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

been married to the woman i love for 45 yrs--she has m/s and is paralyzed from the shoulders down now---went thru all types of vehicle accommodations as her disease progressed---there are lots of things out there and most were invented by handicapped people --be resourceful and make things work for you...stay positive

11. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

[​IMG]

As I understand it, the owner of this conversion is a quadriplegic. The rear doors are electronically operated to open or close. A wc lift is inside which is controlled from the outside for entry or exit. The owner cannot transfer to a driver's seat so he drives from his electronic wc using hand-controls. It is a very cool, well thought out ride...

12. ems customer service

ems customer service

any 2 door sedan from 35-48 will have the longest doors available,

although some 4 door cars have a very narrow center door post,

there are some 4door cars where the front door is hinged at the front and the rear door is hinged at the rear, this would give you easy access to behind the front seat.

i cant remember if they were ford's or chevy 4doors